Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

What classic TV have you never seen ?

What's Hot
Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7816
edited January 2015 in Off Topic
I thought I'd follow up my comment on what TV series have I watch from start to finish by listing some of the iconic TV I've never seen.

I've found a list of 50 here - http://www.empireonline.com/50greatesttv/default.asp?tv=3 and I'll list below all of the ones I've never seen so much as a single episode.

The Sopranos
The West Wing
Lost
The Wire
Angel (though I saw a lot of episodes of Buffy)
The Shield
Twin Peaks (though I intend to one day, and I've seen the film that came later)
Dexter
Deadwood
Alias
Curb Your Enthusiasm
Life On Mars/Ashes To Ashes
Veronica Mars
Prison Break

plus
Breaking Bad
Game Of Thrones
House
The Thick Of It
Downton Abbey
Spaced (though I have seen some clips)
Shameless
The Walking Dead
Mad Men
Hannibal
Homeland

there are many more, but those should be enough to amuse and/or horrify :)

"I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24470
    Aaaaarrrrrrrrrrgggggghhhhhh
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I'll echo the OP's comments in that I've not seen any of the US stuff like Breaking Bad, The Shield, 24, Lost etc.

Mainly because people always kept banging on about them to the point where I'd get sick of hearing it and never bothered watching them...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6394
    Lost, The Sheild, Hannibal (Classic ?), Downton Abbey, Alias
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    Mainly because people always kept banging on about them to the point where I'd get sick of hearing it and never bothered watching them...
    That's been my attitude too. I've not seen a whole episode of anything in the OP's list except possibly for Twin Peaks back in the day. 

But I suppose I have seen brief snippets of a few of them, and not been inspired to watch more.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16298
    I tried with the Wire but it seemed very ordinary to me. That list includes Only Fools which I think is abysmal so hasn't got much credibility for me. On the other hand it does have Father Ted which is probably the most watched TV series of my life, as my son Spider Baby will testify. :o3
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1527
    Re the op list. I have seen The Walking Dead,Breaking bad, Life on Mars but none of the others.
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    I get to see twin peaks every morning.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16741
    Its a pretty good list, although bsg needs to be higher, I will let them off with firefly because it was cut short

Just rewatching buffy again at the moment, nice to see it gets such a high ranking.

The west wing is is one I didn't want to like - but got totally sucked in
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7816
    Jalapeno said:
    Hannibal (Classic ?)
    no idea, really, just that it was mentioned in the other thread ;)
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7816

sadly moobs are not uncommon these days . . .
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23012
    edited January 2015
    Well, I haven't seen anything that's only been on Sky, for starters.

I've seen odd episodes of most of the programmes in Paul's list, but there's hardly anything I'll watch all the way through.  I don't really have the time or patience to "commit" to watching something week after week and I don't really enjoy the "box set" thing of watching multiple episodes one after another.

Sometimes I will watch something for two or three weeks but if it's not grabbing me I'll give up.  I do hate the way American series have this feeling that they're making it up as they go along, heading towards some vague "big ending" that even the writers aren't sure about... and you get whole episodes where nothing actually happens.  Lost being the perfect example.

That said, I've seen the first series of Breaking Bad and really enjoyed it, I would like to see the rest... eventually.  And I would love to have seen some of the European series like The Killing and The Bridge but again it was just too hard to commit.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72510
    It will be easier to list the ones I *have* seen.

Of that Top 50, the only ones I have ever seen more than one complete episode of are The Simpsons (great, haven't seen every one), Family Guy (became very repetitive very fast, stopped ages ago), Heroes (most of the first series, still don't know why I watched it other than Zachary Quinto was very amusing), Dr. Who (most but not all), Blackadder (though I'm not sure I've seen the whole of the first series - the others are brilliant), Fawlty Towers (a few, not all - not that much of a fan), Star Trek Next Generation (some), Monty Python (finally! All I think), Band Of Brothers (most, might have missed a couple), Fools And Horses (one or possibly two, irritating), original Star Trek (all - ridiculous that it's placed this low and behind the new ones), and Cracker (most).

Of the rest, I've seen maybe five minutes of Friends (irritating) and possibly a full episode of the X Files (don't really remember).

I haven't even *heard* of half the others...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Jalapeno said:
    Lost, The Sheild, Hannibal (Classic ?), Downton Abbey, Alias
    If you liked The Wire (I seem to remember you mentioning it!!) Then you'll like The Shield.

It took inspiration from the real life Rampart unit of the LAPD who were a bit naughty at times.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12390
    chillidoggy;475936" said:
    Pics or it doesn't count.
    edited January 2015
    Why is Lost up so high? I did see the whole thing but it was torture to watch, especially the last couple of series: totally dire. I'm amazed it's so better ranked than Band of Brothers, that was a great series.
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137

I too, gave up on "Lost".

Took a while, but I finally realised I had more idea about what was going on in my wife's brain than in that series.

edited January 2015
    Lol'd you for that @chillidoggy. I did watch the whole of Lost, although it's several days of my life I wish I had back. It got to the stage where you just knew the writers hadn't got a clue how to get themselves out of the latest hole they'd dug. "Hey guys, I've got it!!! TIME TRAVEL!!"
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

Out of the OP's list, I've watched House. I got into it while recovering from surgery, so it filled 2 hours a day of not being able to do much. Kind lost it's way a bit in the middle seasons, but pulled back. Killed off at the right time (IMO).

I watched both seasons of The Following, season 1 was much better than the second. Almost like the second season was a "must-make-another-season-of-this" type cash-in.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

I enjoyed Lost, but much later on I saw Life on Mars and they did it far better.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
    I don't tend to watch any drama at all.

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread