Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

What classic TV have you never seen ?

What's Hot

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24471
    Did you want to borrow the others?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7819
    yes, one day :)

I've nearly cleared the backlog of DVDs, though one I still haven't watched yet is The Men Who Stare At Goats  ;)
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23013
    edited January 2015
    @fretmeister ;

Yes, don't get me wrong, I like Hugh Laurie.  I'm sure he's good in House and probably in his music too (although it's not really my kind of thing).  Struggling to accept his Americanisation is my problem, it's not his fault. 
    :)
  • I would just like to ask who these Empire people think they are?  There is no mention of Oh No, it's Selwyn Froggitt! on this list of theirs.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    Paul_C said:
    The Men Who Stare At Goats  ;)
    Brilliant film!
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3067
    I can only assume that the list was mostly compiled by fat teenage geek girls as there's a huge amount of really average sci-fi stuff listed.

24 above The Wire??  Really?

• SnapSnap Frets: 6265
    I've started watching Breaking Bad - its good, very good, I'm about 4 episodes in.

The Wire, Sopranos and Boardwalk Empire I want to wathc too.

Lost - the last episode was good, but they were deffo making it up as they went along after series one, and the writers more or less admitted that. Originally they planned two series, but it was so successful they had to write the rest on the hoof, and it showed.

Deadwood - ace, but sadly they all fell out and the planned final series was never done, so it all ends a bit messily at the end of S3, brilliant stuff though, all the same.

• LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    I tried with the Wire but it seemed very ordinary to me.
    Yes, I just thought it was dull.
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24471
    I thought Series 1 of The Wire was the best telly ever.

But as an entire run, Breaking Bad gets my vote. I think there was only 1 episode that I thought was pants and could have been left out.

Can't wait for 'Better Call Saul' to start!
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27146
    Off top of my head I've never seen:

Lost
    The Wire
    BSG
    The West Wing
    Lost
    Twin Peaks (though I intend to one day, and I've seen the film that came later)
    Deadwood
    Alias
    Curb Your Enthusiasm
    Life On Mars/Ashes To Ashes
    Prison Break
    Heroes

And haven't *watched*, as in more than a couple of episodes:
    Sopranos
    Babylon 5

Great to see The Shield so high up. It's absolutely fantastic and so many people haven't even heard of it.

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    edited January 2015

I've only just got round to looking at that Empire top 50 list.

No mention of Hill Street Blues, Homicide: Life on the Street or Oz.  How can they put crap like Prison Break ahead of those?

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11619
    tFB Trader
    Never got to see the Wire so I've starting watching that now 
    Loved Breaking Bad and the wire seems as well put together !

One of the great (IMO) British comedies that was overlooked was Coupling.
    It was kind of like a British version of Friends but so much sharper and biting.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16298
    boogieman said:
    thomasross20;476285" said:
    I hate US comedies - think they're poor.

But, but.....Cheers? Frasier? Big Bang Theory? Some great stuff there, particularly Frasier.

I have watched some Frasier recently. My memory says sharp comedy about a psychiatrist. The reality seems to say slightly embarrassing comedy about a middle aged sexual predator.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    boogieman said:
    thomasross20;476285" said:
    I hate US comedies - think they're poor.

But, but.....Cheers? Frasier? Big Bang Theory? Some great stuff there, particularly Frasier.

I have watched some Frasier recently. My memory says sharp comedy about a psychiatrist. The reality seems to say slightly embarrassing comedy about a middle aged sexual predator.

Fans of American sitcoms often praise their approach of using big teams of writers.  It's supposed to ensure fresh ideas and consistency, but I find them extremely formulaic and repetitive.

British sitcoms tend to be written by one or two writers which, I guess, makes them more hit and miss but they're much more individual in style.

British sitcoms are universally appalling. They should be called sitcraps
  • Snap;479972" said:
    Well you have obviously never watched Miranda. :-S
    lol, just isn't funny. THe worst offender at the moment is that SHITE Not Going Out, he is one unfunny get that Lee Mack. He really does in fact need to go out. Go out, and find a chuffing canal to play in mate.

My Family - completely unfunny, about as funny as glass underpants.

Canned laughter, what's that about then? If somethings funny, I laugh, I don't need to hear some prerecorded laughing to make me think something is funny either. Gits.

Outnumbered - is that supposed to be funny, at all? I like Hugh Dennis, but that isn't funny.

American sitcoms - not funny, again, across the board. None of them. Apart from the SImpsons, which is clever IMO.

• breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10308
    The only show of the last twenty years which could be considered a sit com that I find absolutely hilarious is The IT Crowd.I can't put my finger on it but I can watch them over and over again and still find them funny.And Katherine Parkinson is one of the best comedy actresses out there and vastly underused.She can say more with one look than Miranda can say in a whole series.
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72510
    Snap said:
    Well you have obviously never watched Miranda. :-S
    I tried to watch an episode after seeing her on Graham Norton, on which she was funny. I couldn't take more than ten minutes - just totally painful and unfunny.

That brings me on to one thing I absolutely can't stand - laugh tracks, or even possibly real studio audience laughter. It just destroys the humour in anything. I suspect there might actually be some things that could be quite funny if it wasn't for that. (But still not Miranda.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Depends on how you define sitcom, but what about some, or all, of:

Father Ted?  Spaced?  Black Books?  The Inbetweeners?  Peep Show?  Garth Marenghi's Darkplace?  The League of Gentlemen?