Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

When you realise that a singer from a band you really like is a bit of arse

What's Hot
There is this band that I loved in the 90's and been to many of their concerts.  They split 12-15 years ago and the lead singer still does his own shows, singing all the old hits and plays for fun, great deal of respect.

However I follow him on Twitter and he is very left-wing, myself more central.  One of his posts this morning could have been written by the Daily Mail, so I challenged his view and saw a completely different side of him.  Dont get me wrong, happy for a twitter debate, but his comments have come straight from the school playing ground.  Not name calling, but the usual cheap throw away lines kids use at one another.

I still like his music and might go and see him play a gig, but now can someone so musically and lyrically gifted be such arse?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Oooooo... link us up then. I fancy a good larf!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72510
    It can be a bad idea to find out about the personalities of your favourite artists. Musical or any other form of artistic talent doesn't equate with being a decent human being at all. Being successful at it possibly even less so.

"You have to be a bastard to make it, and that's a fact. And the Beatles are the biggest bastards on Earth." - John Lennon

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Queensryche, 'nuff said. Geoff Tate started slagging off the band's early music and the fans who liked it about 15 years ago. Thankfully, they've replaced him now...
    <space for hire>
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962

Edit your first post for the benefit of any browsing solicitors, and then give us a clue as to who he be!  ;)
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    People are idiots generally in my opinion, can't put people up on a pedestal just because they're successful at something....Also everybody has been an idiot or said something idiotic at least once in their life.....

I'd hate to meet my idols:

Kurt Cobain (ignoring the fact he's dead) would be a bit of a joy kill...
    Jonny Marr-Vegan....
    Keef-Never had a 'proper job' so how could I relate to him? Huge generational gap....

All in my opinion of course....

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

• gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 921

I've made a point of not caring what I think about the people whose music I enjoy.

Mainly after realising both Billy Corgan and Thom Yorke were fan belts.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Queensryche, 'nuff said. Geoff Tate started slagging off the band's early music and the fans who liked it about 15 years ago. Thankfully, they've replaced him now...

Although he still wants to use the Queensryche name........

And, didn't he at one point claim he'd written 90+% of the QR back-catalogue?

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16298
    Singer in rock band bit of a bell end? I need warnings on posts like these, I'm now in a state of shock. 8-}
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    10reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12400
    You have to separate the person from their art. Just enjoy the music/book/film whatever. I love Jack Kerouac's books but he was an irresponsible belligerent conservative reactionary drunk in his later years. I think it was John Peel said something like never meet your heroes because they will let you down.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    Yeah for real Jonno!

• You have to separate the person from their art. Just enjoy the music/book/film whatever.
    I was in the pub the other day and overheard a group of womenz saying exactly this about Tacoma Narrows Bridge Disaster.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • d8md8m Frets: 2434
    @drewfx +1

on a less sinister note

You have to separate the person from their art. Just enjoy the music/book/film whatever.
    I was in the pub the other day and overheard a group of womenz saying exactly this about Tacoma Narrows Bridge Disaster.
    hahahahahahahahahahaha! :)) :))

Genuine tea on keyboard moment. You dirty fecker.
  • The power of suggestion..... I'm going to make myself a tea.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11949
    Typically a vocalist will be someone with a larger than average ego who likes to show off, this must increase the chances of them being a pain
  • The power of suggestion... I'm going to construct a bridge, without considering its natural frequency of vibration.
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Col_DeckerCol_Decker Frets: 2188

Power of suggestion is a curious thing

Make one bridge weak

Make another one spill tea ..... or something

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • When someone at a James Taylor gig called out "I love you James", he said "I think it helps us not to know each other".

Probably quite a wise comment.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • The power of suggestion... I'm going to construct a bridge, without considering its natural frequency of vibration.
    Just finished my tea....how's the bridge going?
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16741
    gusman2x said:

I've made a point of not caring what I think about the people whose music I enjoy.

Mainly after realising both Billy Corgan and Thom Yorke were fan belts.

Same for me with Billy, after going to a gig where he spent most of it moaning about people not buying the new album and just wanting to hear stuff from Mellon Collie.  Bad attitude all the way through and no encore - just walked off at the end and didn't come back.

The guy wrote an album so good people are still listening to it nearly 20 years later and you can still fill a large arena on the basis of it.  I understand wanting people to like your new stuff but, you cant ignore the achievement of the first point