Anyone here using 8's on their electric?

What's Hot
I had a packet of Ernie Ball 8's and thought that I'd stick them on my Suhr and I have to say that it makes it so much easier to play that it's very enjoyable.  I'm not noticing a lot of difference in tone when playing with distortion, although there is a difference when playing clean.  

Anyone else here a fan of 8's?  I might buy a few more packs and stick with them for a while.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• It's funny because although I'm not using 8's and I don't actually mind the feel of heavy strings, lately I am finding if I down-tune I am actually preferring the Iommi like cut that lighter strings give you.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30939
    Brian May uses 8's and a sixpence as a pick- he must break them every song!

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72539
    Gassage said:
    He changes strings roughly every two years, apparently :).

He must have an incredibly light touch. His guitar has never been refretted either, and he's played it almost exclusively for fifty years.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • It's funny because although I'm not using 8's and I don't actually mind the feel of heavy strings, lately I am finding if I down-tune I am actually preferring the Iommi like cut that lighter strings give you.

Yeah the sound and feel of heavy strings tuned down is definitely a sound on it's own.
    Gassage said:

Yeah I'd imagine the serrated edge of the sixpence would grind up the strings quite quickly.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30939
    It was very noticable how light his touch was when playing live on Friday- you could see it on the big screen...he persuades the notes out of the guitar almost!

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• ICBM said:
    Gassage said:
    He changes strings roughly every two years, apparently :).

He must have an incredibly light touch. His guitar has never been refretted either, and he's played it almost exclusively for fifty years.
    That's true about his light touch - on one of those Rig Rundown videos he said that he holds his pick very lightly.  
  • Gassage said:
    It was very noticable how light his touch was when playing live on Friday- you could see it on the big screen...he persuades the notes out of the guitar almost!
    Damn I didn't know you went to see Queen!  You're lucky :P
    His light touch must also be necessary because the Red Special only has a 24" scale - with 8s on, even the slightest 'weight' behind either the picking or fretting and it would sound out of tune. Really everything about that guitar and his playing style is so unique...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I don't play 8s, but I do play 9s tuned down to drop-Db and that's kinda similar.

I've played it like that for about 4 or 5 years now - it's a much nicer experience, especially with my (very mildly) arthritic left hand.
    <space for hire>
  • I have just put on a set of 8's after about 2 years of using 10's.
    I like the way they feel. I'm finding picking easier on the lower strings, and of course bending is less effort.
    Can't really comment on tone as I've not got an amp at home right now.

Liking it so far.

• JeremiahJeremiah Frets: 631
    I use 8s on a 12-string because the lower tension makes barre chords easier. (Also because the nut slots are cut for 8s and anything heavier tends to stick.)
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28341
    I tried 8s about 5 years ago when suffering with finger problems. Took em off again the next day, they just felt too skinny, and It felt that they wouldn't stand trem action at all. Back to 9s. My favourite guitar player, Alex Hutchings, uses 8s.
  • speshul91speshul91 Frets: 1397
    bingefeller;492693" said:
    randomhandclaps said:

It's funny because although I'm not using 8's and I don't actually mind the feel of heavy strings, lately I am finding if I down-tune I am actually preferring the Iommi like cut that lighter strings give you.

Yeah the sound and feel of heavy strings tuned down is definitely a sound on it's own.

Gassage said:

Yeah I'd imagine the serrated edge of the sixpence would grind up the strings quite quickly.
    I've got a sixpence pick, the edges are shaped an polishes up so it's nice and smooth. Quite fun to use tbf
  • NiallmoNiallmo Frets: 467
    edited January 2015
    I have used 8's in the past and quite liked them, almost akin to playing a scalloped board. I could have persevered but my touch is heavier then most and I like to dig in. The strat I have just bought from @Alnico has 9's on and it feels too thin. I usually have 10's. My BMG Red Special has Ultima 9's on and feels great.
  • If anyone wants the Brian May sound without the sixpence then I suggest you try the V-Picks 1980 pick.  I emailed V-Picks Vinnie a lot of months ago asking him which pick would get the sound closest to Brian May and he said that pick was designed with him in mind.  It works very well too.  You could also try using the rough part of a Herco Flex 75 nylon pick but, for me, the V-Pick 1980 is much better.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NiallmoNiallmo Frets: 467
    edited January 2015
    I've just bought ten sixpences! I've also got a few V-picks which were very good with the BMG.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8747
    ... it's a much nicer experience, especially with my (very mildly) arthritic left hand.
    I think that Chet Atkins went down to 8s in his later years.  Last year I went from 11-52s to 10-52s, mainly so that I could get bigger bends on the top string, but I can't see myself going to 9s (unless I get really decrepid)
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11954
    When I started, everyone used 8s or 7s
    people thought I was weird going for 9-46 sets
    I never ever ever break any strings ever, using a 3mm stubby with very heavy right hand technique

Then I think it was SRV who inspired a lot people to move up to 10s and 11s

anyway: this article and thread of comments covers this in some detail
    Quite a lot of strong opinions here
    http://www.recordingreview.com/blog/electric-guitar-recording/guitar-tone-string-size-myth/

I thought Rev Gibbons used 7s, is that right?
    btw, why would an 008 be more likely to snap than an 009? It would be at a lower tension

btw, why would an 008 be more likely to snap than an 009? It would be at a lower tension
    But they're also weaker. Thin strings do break more easily than thicker ones as a general rule.

If you think about it taking it to an extreme, if you had a .001 gauge string it would be under very low tension, but it would be extremely easy to break it.

• ElxElx Frets: 412
    I tried 0.08s on an Yngwie Strat...not for me, I have a very heavy touch. I cannot imagine what 0.07 would feel like, and I had no idea they existed until I read this thread... :)