Anyone here using 8's on their electric?

What's Hot

Comments

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28347
    Niallmo said:
    I've just bought ten sixpences! 
    If you paid more than 60p you wuz ripped off.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • nickpnickp Frets: 183
    9s on the strat 10 on the LP.

I find the intonation better on the 10s and have to be a bit careful fretting chords with lighter strings otherwise (particularly on the D shape) I make things out of tune.

i'm happy as long as I don't play the strat too much otherwise i find the transition back to 10s on the LP slightly hard work for a while
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3835
    8s on a LP must feel appalling.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23249
    axisus said:
    Niallmo said:
    I've just bought ten sixpences! 
    If you paid more than 60p you wuz ripped off.
    If you paid more than 25p you were ripped off...

• EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    I like vibrato on chords, and eights go to wonky for that.
  • vizviz Frets: 10742
    edited January 2015
    ICBM said:
    btw, why would an 008 be more likely to snap than an 009? It would be at a lower tension
    But they're also weaker. Thin strings do break more easily than thicker ones as a general rule.

If you think about it taking it to an extreme, if you had a .001 gauge string it would be under very low tension, but it would be extremely easy to break it.

yes so the top string is a unique case but the B string, say an 11, is less likely to break as a metaller's B string, as it is as an E on a jazzer's E string. I have 007s as my top G on my electric 12-string; the 008s kept breaking but the 007 hasn't broken for a year, so I actually think an 008 as top E would last longer than an 009.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7817
    I am also starting to go towards thinner strings, I had worked my way up to 11,s on Strat/Tele and 12's on LP
    now back down to 09's on Strat/Tele and 10's on LP

Partly my change came by simply not playing as much .- the 11's and 12's were a right pain to get back into. with 9's I haven't really noticed any tone difference and the guitar is easier and lighter to play.

Never tried 8's though isn't the bloke from ZZ top an 8's guy (Billy Gibbons?)
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    I prefer a light, slinky feel but I think 8s would be a step too far - I use 9-46s in standard. That gets me enough stick as it is, a 10s-using friend of mine refers to them as "little girl strings". :D
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12016
    13:10

Billy Gibbon's tech says he has never seen him break a string
  • Billy's sound is fairly processed these days so I doubt string gauge is much of a tone issue. I think the problem is being relaxed enough on stage not to tense up and play too hard for a light gauge, which is where 50 years of gigging comes in I guess.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • ToneControl;493361" said:
    I think there is a tone difference on cleaner settings

also I think it's harder to unintentionally play out of tune with heavier gauges

Those who play well with 007s must have a lot of accurate finger control

I have noticed that certain tensions can sound right for specific instruments (to me), I assume we all need to fine tune to get our instruments working for us

Tony Iommi's fingers dictated he used 7s I think, and that's part of his sound

Mind you, he can play Jazz too, which must surprise some people
    Tony being given a Django album to listen to that inspired him to relearn how to play is a part of the Sabbath story. When there wasn't really any heavy metal to listen to they were listening to jazz and blues and classical and all those elements are there in early Sabbath. If you listen to the first albums clearly Bill Ward thought he was in a jazz band.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12016
    ToneControl;493361" said:
    I think there is a tone difference on cleaner settings

also I think it's harder to unintentionally play out of tune with heavier gauges

Those who play well with 007s must have a lot of accurate finger control

I have noticed that certain tensions can sound right for specific instruments (to me), I assume we all need to fine tune to get our instruments working for us

Tony Iommi's fingers dictated he used 7s I think, and that's part of his sound

Mind you, he can play Jazz too, which must surprise some people
    Tony being given a Django album to listen to that inspired him to relearn how to play is a part of the Sabbath story. When there wasn't really any heavy metal to listen to they were listening to jazz and blues and classical and all those elements are there in early Sabbath. If you listen to the first albums clearly Bill Ward thought he was in a jazz band.
    I remembered his Jazz solo on Live at last:

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28347
    I'm quite interested to try 8s again actually. I've just been watching Alex Hutchings videos for a while and he gets some superb phrasing out of them. Might see if Coda have any tomorrow morning (probably not!), and face the hassle of set up/ truss rod tweaking etc.
  • axisus said:
    I'm quite interested to try 8s again actually. I've just been watching Alex Hutchings videos for a while and he gets some superb phrasing out of them. Might see if Coda have any tomorrow morning (probably not!), and face the hassle of set up/ truss rod tweaking etc.
    You should do it!  8s are nice and I bought more as I will put another set on when I change strings.  I find them so easy to play with

Oddly enough I didn't have to adjust my intonation, just had to adjust trem springs.  I did have to tweak my truss a bit but no problems since.  
  • JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    It's odd, but as I've gotten older I've kinda gone up thru the string gauges rather than down. 

I always used 9s, sometimes 8s, 20 years ago, but now it tends to be 11s, although 13-65 tuned down is probably the best feel/tone, certainly on Gibson-scale guitars. It isn't because I bash the strings either, I play really lightly and rarely even touch the back of the neck with my thumb/hand.

• JookyChap said:
    It's odd, but as I've gotten older I've kinda gone up thru the string gauges rather than down. 

I always used 9s, sometimes 8s, 20 years ago, but now it tends to be 11s, although 13-65 tuned down is probably the best feel/tone, certainly on Gibson-scale guitars. It isn't because I bash the strings either, I play really lightly and rarely even touch the back of the neck with my thumb/hand.

I dunno, man, I can't see myself going back to heavier strings,......
  • JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    It doesn't really matter if it works for you.

In my case it may have something to do with dodgy nerve endings and the fact I can't feel anything below an 11 cutting into my bleeding fingertips :)

• JookyChap said:
    In my case it may have something to do with dodgy nerve endings and the fact I can't feel anything below an 11 cutting into my bleeding fingertips :)
    So I'll have to be careful when the Jooky guitar conveyer gets started again.

Dark rosewood fretboard and unique "ox-blood" finish, hmmmmm    :P

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @axisus said:
    I'm quite interested to try 8s again actually. I've just been watching Alex Hutchings videos for a while and he gets some superb phrasing out of them.
    Do bear in mind that Alex uses P4 / fourths tuning, so the top two strings are a semitone up on the rest of the set.

I think he had 9s on top the last time I played his guitar.  I don't know if any of that helps though...

• I don't play 8s, but I do play 9s tuned down to drop-Db and that's kinda similar.

I've played it like that for about 4 or 5 years now - it's a much nicer experience, especially with my (very mildly) arthritic left hand.
    Dont you find that the lower strings are too floppy and dont respond fast enough for fast palm mutes? I find it harder to play tightly cos the string takes so long to return.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ