Anyone here using 8's on their electric?

What's Hot

Comments

• bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    Gassage;575571" said:
    bingefeller said:

I had a packet of Ernie Ball 8's and thought that I'd stick them on my Suhr and I have to say that it makes it so much easier to play that it's very enjoyable.  I'm not noticing a lot of difference in tone when playing with distortion, although there is a difference when playing clean.  

Anyone else here a fan of 8's?  I might buy a few more packs and stick with them for a while.

You big fucking gayer. ;)

I'm back up to manly 10s now. It sounds fabulous!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DaleftyDalefty Frets: 509
    I bounce between 8's and 9's, I rarely use anything heavier than a 9, and I always use Earnieballsacks.

DaLefty
    Both dog and owner available for stud, please contact DaLefty if interested
  • AndyJPAndyJP Frets: 221
    This guy plays 8's and he's got some tone.

But worried 8's make you pull funny faces when playing.
    AndyJP said:
    This guy plays 8's and he's got some tone.

But worried 8's make you pull funny faces when playing.
    Yeah Alex Hutchings is awesome.  I love his tone.  It definitely doesn't sound like he has any intonation issues either.

edited March 2015
    Was reading an interview with him. He said 8s aren't an issue for him, he plays with a light touch.

He seems to do more legato stuff than fast picking. Maybe that ties in with what you found re alternate picking ?

Was considering 8s yesterday but dropped to 9s instead. My musicman has got low profile frets, minor third bends are tough with 10s on some parts of the neck. I took the action up a wee bit and loosened the trem up. 9s are sounding petty good. I kept the 046 on tho.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Wonder if you need a lighter pick with 8s for alternate picking?
    AndyJP said:
    Was reading an interview with him. He said 8s aren't an issue for him, he plays with a light touch.

He seems to do more legato stuff than fast picking. Maybe that ties in with what you found re alternate picking ?

Was considering 8s yesterday but dropped to 9s instead. My musicman has got low profile frets, minor third bends are tough with 10s on some parts of the neck. I took the action up a wee bit and loosened the trem up. 9s are sounding petty good. I kept the 046 on tho.
    The legato is easier than picking, although Yngwie uses 9s down a half step so I don't know (that's Yngwie though).

AndyJP said:
    Wonder if you need a lighter pick with 8s for alternate picking?
    I tried all pick gauges and it was the same.  Probably just need a very, very light touch which I don't have.  
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10903
    tFB Trader
    I used 8s for years ... in my teens and early twenties ... and I'm heading light again now. Just took most of my regular playing instruments from 10s to 9s, and almost instantly my left hand feels better. I've been getting some pain my joints of late.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

I used 8s for years ... in my teens and early twenties ... and I'm heading light again now. Just took most of my regular playing instruments from 10s to 9s, and almost instantly my left hand feels better. I've been getting some pain my joints of late.
    That sucks man.  Whatever feels comfortable is definitely best for you.
  • alvynmcqalvynmcq Frets: 11
    I think I am going to have to drop from 10s now as well, I have been getting joint pain in my second knuckle on the middle finger. It is really frustrating, especially when playing chords.

8s are tempting but I am sure I am too heavy handed for them and I use a 3mm pick which probably wouldn't help.
  • brucegillbrucegill Frets: 725
    I think this is very guitar dependant. I'd normally use 10's on most things but recently tried 11's on my Nocaster. Man what a difference. Much better tension for the size of the neck. it has changed the tone, more noticeably on the treble side. But it feels so much better. 
    I remember trying 11's on a strat and hating it.... 
  • alvynmcqalvynmcq Frets: 11
    I have ordered some set of 9-46 hopefully they will solve some of the issues I have been having.
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2616
    I do wonder how many of us older guys with joint pain issues are paying for the macho attitudes in the guitar world.  I've seen various experts say all of the following are very bad for hands:

- heavy strings
    - Leavitt-type first and fourth finger stretches for positional playing
    - the "rolling finger" technique used to play adjacent strings on the same fret

Then of course there's high action

These days I use light strings/big frets/low action and although old habits die hard try to reduce the amount of stretching/finger rolling.  But I have bad arthritis in my left-hand index finger, get regular muscle pains and have had upper body muscular pains so bad I stopped playing for nearly 5 years.  

“To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
    edited March 2015
    This tendonitis lark sounds rough guys. Sorry to hear about that.  Lights are defo worth a shot.

I'm happy with the Rotosound 9s with a 046w they play great. But just ordered some Rotosounds 8s to try. Gonna mix it up and try 046w 032w 022w 014 011 008. 

What's the betting the 9s will be back on in a week? lol
    AndyJP said:
    This tendonitis lark sounds rough guys. Sorry to hear about that.  Lights are defo worth a shot.

I'm happy with the Rotosound 9s with a 046w they play great. But just ordered some Rotosounds 8s to try. Gonna mix it up and try 046w 032w 022w 014 011 008. 

What's the betting the 9s will be back on in a week? lol
    You probably will!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Will use em to floss my teeth with if they are shite :)
    Damn you @bingefeller and your fancy ideas.
    edited March 2015
    AndyJP said:
    Damn you @bingefeller and your fancy ideas.
    You shouldn't have bought them as I could have sold you some packs of Ernie Balls for dirt cheap.....

If you end up liking 8s, and like Ernie Balls, let me know cos I have some sitting here.
    Balls too late. I've gone all in and ordered 4 packs of 8s. That Alex Hutchings guy has inspired me.
  • RoxRox Frets: 2147
    Could go one lighter.  Take the word of Mr. Gibbons:

"Well, the luxury of them slinky seven's is an out-and-out oddity to many, yet the notion of using a light gauge string was directed to me by none other than B.B. King, who happened to pick up an axe I stuck in the corner strung up with some gnarly, heavy wire, and asked, "Why you workin' so hard?" Following that interesting lead, we went for the lean string thing."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom