Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Eeek!! Have you got mice?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• imaloneimalone Frets: 748

Nitefly said:
    We got rid of mice by using a plug-in gadget from B&Q which emits a high-frequency sound which only mice (allegedly) can hear, and don't like. 

The mice have not been back for over 2 years now, so it seems to have worked.  However we don't have any pets so I can't say for certain that it doesn't affect cats or dogs.

Cats have about the widest hearing range of any animal except possibly some bats (they are adapted to be able to hear mice), so probably wouldn't be too keen. Anyone see the series on cats the BBC did last year?

Humane traps are basically an exercise regime for mice, unless you have somewhere really far away to release them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15999
    Nitefly said:
    We got rid of mice by using a plug-in gadget from B&Q which emits a high-frequency sound which only mice (allegedly) can hear, and don't like. 

The mice have not been back for over 2 years now, so it seems to have worked.  However we don't have any pets so I can't say for certain that it doesn't affect cats or dogs.

do B&Q have an IN LAWS version of this gadget?
    tae be or not tae be
  • Col_DeckerCol_Decker Frets: 2188
    edited February 2015

Alas for the Mice the war is over.

They put in a strong showing and even took an impressive 0-9 lead, but it turned out all I needed was to score two points to claim total victory. Final score was 2-9 to me.

We thought they'd only just moved in as we've never heard them before, and it looks like we got the two adults before they had a chance to make their mouse army. Its been 3 days since the last sighting / kill. Traps remain intact, bait remains uneaten, the little dummy baits I placed remain uneaten. The mice are dead, the war is over. Breathin' the free air.

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

• ^^ Agreed. I have left a couple of traps standing guard over the (known) entrance.

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    edited February 2015
    ^^ Agreed. I have left a couple of traps standing guard over the (known) entrance.
    Pretty much what Grand Moff Tarkin said to Vadar, and look how that ended ;-)

• There was a knock at the door. It was the Mother-in-Law. I knew it was her because the mice started throwing themselves onto the traps.

RIP Les.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ROOGROOG Frets: 559

Bucket trap bated with peanut butter

http://fivegallonideas.com/bucket-mouse-trap/

• Alas for the Mice the war is over.

Its been 3 days since the last sighting / kill. Traps remain intact, bait remains uneaten, the little dummy baits I placed remain uneaten. The mice are dead, the war is over. Breathin' the free air.

3 days is nothing. They'll be back.
  • fastboyfastboy Frets: 166
    Use the humane traps with some food in there if it's rats. They've worked for me every time and once you have them caught in the trap then you can drown them in a bucket whilst still in said trap ;) Field mice I don't kill as they're so tiny I just tend to take them up the road and then release them. 

As has previously been said, don't buy a cat specifically for mice as they actually bring mice in (plus birds, frogs, voles etc etc) for you who were never anywhere your house so that's a waste of time. Our two during the summer bring in no end of animals as 'presents' for you so you're at a disadvantage for having them in that respect although one advantage is that they seem to be spectacularly good at eating spiders and moths so we never seem to have any kicking around the house :)