Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Solid State Amp heads?

What's Hot

Comments

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    Tech 21 Trademark. I think they're still being made,they pop up on ebay every so often. I never owned one but I have played through one a few times and was quite impressed. I do have the little Trademark 10 and it's a pretty good practise amp.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VB800 looks good. Pricey though...
  • I picked up a ZT Lunchbox recently as a spare. It's a combo but there is a speaker output and you can turn off the internal speaker so essentially use it as a head. Not had to use it yet but alwasy test in soundcheck and it does a good job. Limited features but very good. 
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471

i dont think its a rule of thumb...it depends on the cab and speakers too. I have had a Orange Rocker 30 combo in the past and I would say that the Crush Pro 120 is louder, but we are talking a 30w through 1 vintage 30, vs a 120w head through 4 Gt75's.

maybe @ICBM can chime in on this.

• I would stick a head through a 2X12 cabinet I reckon.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6408
    VB800 looks good. Pricey though...
    If cheap's your thing the latest Marshall MGs perhaps ? (supposed to be better than the originals, well at least nobody's heard tell of one going off pop ... yet)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
    Actually, whilst we're on the subject I've seen a few Hiwatt SS amps on ebay that look cheap. Are they any good?

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

• Can a footswitch be used with the orange?
  • Can a footswitch be used with the orange?
    Yes, but it's not included.
  • Yeah, those hiwatts look interesting...
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 619
    edited February 2015

As for volume, I gigged with solid state combos for years. I've used a Roland Cube 60 (60 watts), a Tech21 TM60 (60 watts) and a Roland Cube 80XL (80 watts) - without exception ALL of them were loud enough (and stayed pristine clean) at gig level. I never had to mic any of them up or take a line out to the board - just plugged in and played. I always played them clean and got dirt from pedals.

I would, therefore, say with some confidence (and experience) that 60w plus on a solid state amp will be plenty loud enough to gig with.

As an aside, I have seen a number of examples where people have converted a Roland Cube combo to a head which would be a great way of doing it - you'd end up with a very compact and capable head for little money. I think Andertons did a "mystery amp" video showing an example. I'm sure a Google search of Roland Cube Head Conversion would show something up....You can pick up a CUBE for very reasonable money.

• I wouldn't have the skills to convert an amp :(
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    I used those hiwatts in a rehearsal studio and they were rubbish. I never got on with them.

You should also look at old Peavey's
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17856
    tFB Trader
    I believe there is a head version of something like a bandit though I can't remember what it is called.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6408
    I believe there is a head version of something like a bandit though I can't remember what it is called.
    Is it the Peavey TransTube 100 ?
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 767
    Just my routine, I used to go to every Guitar shop nearby and play through all their available amps. I'd write a list of the things I liked about each amp, then I'd go back the next week and repeat the same routine, but narrow the list to my favs.
    "Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
  • True. Where I'm living at the moment, the selection wouldn't be great. So far, just from some online demos, the Orange Crush might be enough for me. Two channels. 
    The Quilter amps look interesting. I'm waiting to hear back from someone who plays one, but a little bit pricey , but I'd be getting a good solid state.
    I'd have no problem using a solid state with a cab as a main amp. None at all.
  • The quilter tone block or the orange crush :D
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72955
    samzadgan said:

]i dont think its a rule of thumb...it depends on the cab and speakers too. I have had a Orange Rocker 30 combo in the past and I would say that the Crush Pro 120 is louder, but we are talking a 30w through 1 vintage 30, vs a 120w head through 4 Gt75's. maybe @ICBM can chime in on this.
    Totally depends on the two amps. There is no hard and fast rule, even roughly - anywhere from nearly equivalent, to needing more than five times the power. It also depends on the context, valve amps tend to sound relatively louder compared to solid-state in a mix than they do in isolation.

I can't imagine a 120W solid state amp not being loud enough through decent speakers though.

Comparing it to a Super Bass is unfair :). Most 100W valve amps don't even come close...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein