Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Solid State Amp heads?

What's Hot

Comments

• JeremiahJeremiah Frets: 634
    You could use a pedal for drive and get a compact solid state bass head, of which there are several available.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Jeremiah said:
    You could use a pedal for drive and get a compact solid state bass head, of which there are several available.
    I played through a solid state bass head before, and it sounded surprisingly good with a guitar. 

Any recommendations on something basic enough?
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    New orange bass heads sound pretty good too
    Also, be on the look out for acoustic, sunn and older randall sold state amps...all loud and good solid state amps
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72955
    Acoustic and Sunn bass amps sound fantastic for stoner/doom-type guitar.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Something dirty and stoner like wouldn't be bad ;) I would use a big muff too
  • pauladspaulads Frets: 495
    Peavey Wiggy head and cab…stark raving bonkers…i've had this for a while…but I hardly ever use it…I love it all the same…

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    Even the name of them is bonkers. They do look quite futuristic though in a Futurama way.
    paulads said:
    Peavey Wiggy head and cab…stark raving bonkers…i've had this for a while…but I hardly ever use it…I love it all the same…

wait...is it me, or does that Peavey Cab look a lot like a Laney Cub cab??
  • hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
    I'm in love with that Wiggy.

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I've not tried one, and it is digital, but at the time of posting this link the price is nuts (these are £399 here and currently £261 at Thomann) http://www.thomann.de/gb/blackstar_id100_tvp.htm?sid=c540e503db10434b74e5658b17a6208a
  • I noticed one of the guys in Red Fang (Stoner type of band) use Sunn beta heads, which are no longer made.
    Creed_Clicks;512589" said:
    I noticed one of the guys in Red Fang (Stoner type of band) use Sunn beta heads, which are no longer made.
    Sunn beta and concert leads have a really good rep in the doom/stoner world. Mainly because they are loud and have a great basic tone.

Also vintage Acoustic amps get a lot of love and musicman Hd120's do too.

The only problem with these Sunn and Acoustic amps is that there are hardly any in europe, and the ones that are, are sold at a very expensive price.

You could potentially buy one from the states and get it shipped.
  • I'm half thinking of just getting a quilter toneblock, one channel solid state head and putting a 2x10 or 2x12 cab with it....

I'd use the pedals for everything else.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17856
    tFB Trader
    Would be very interested to hear a review if you bought a Quilter. 

They seem to be hens teeth outside the US.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72955
    samzadgan said:

The only problem with these Sunn and Acoustic amps is that there are hardly any in europe, and the ones that are, are sold at a very expensive price.
    Really? A friend of mine bought two Acoustic bass combos - the 50W 1x15" and the 100W 1x15" - for £80 and £120, in good condition and working order. They don't seem to sell for much, if any, more than that usually.

Maybe the heads are more expensive.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Would be very interested to hear a review if you bought a Quilter. 

They seem to be hens teeth outside the US.

Well, they seem to ship to Europe, so will look into it.

Anything that would be similar to the Musicman or Acoustic Vintage?

ICBM;512740" said:
    samzadgan said:

Really? A friend of mine bought two Acoustic bass combos - the 50W 1x15" and the 100W 1x15" - for £80 and £120, in good condition and working order. They don't seem to sell for much, if any, more than that usually.

Maybe the heads are more expensive.
    Wow...i've had Acoustic amps on my ebay notifications and have had no luck...i am on the lookout for heads...like the 120...have never seen them come up.

Even if i saw the 100w combo i still would have bought and converted it.
  • The nearest place to get a Quilter seems to be Denmark, about £245 plus whatever the p and p is for the Tone Block.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • I got both a Marshall 3210 Mosfet 100 and a Crate Power Block... both very different but worth considering..
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?