Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Does anyone here NOT use delay?

What's Hot
d8md8m Frets: 2434
edited February 2015 in FX
Just curious.

I haven't stepped on mine in a couple of months.

Seems to be an effect that everyone has at least one of though :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• whats delay?
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • d8md8m Frets: 2434

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    I don't use delay but I do use reverb which I suppose is a type of delay.
  • Sassafras said:
    I don't use delay but I do use reverb which I suppose is a type of delay.
    that was almost as good as my contribution 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Wisdom

• FazerFazer Frets: 467
    every time i try delay i just dont know what to do with it, every now and then i try again but always end up selling them on.
    the only delay i have now is a belcat! and i only kept it because its so cheap its not worth selling

if/when there is the new upgraded digitech dl8 thing i plan to get that one - stereo + a looper

did just get a reverb this month though, after years of hating amp ones.
    got the zcat stereo pedal and its very nice
  • NPPNPP Frets: 236
    I've never had a delay pedal, and currently I also play an amp without reverb. Having grown up in the 80s and overexposed to overprocessed guitar tone, I considered delay a form of cheating (using technology to make your tone fat because your fingers can't). I felt the same about compression. I recently got the desire to buy a delay and compressor (maybe because I need all the help I can get, cheating or not, maybe because I learnt about other uses for these effects).

1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Fazer said:
    every time i try delay i just dont know what to do with it.
    I have a dd3 that I am on the verge of selling on for exactly this reason.

I've had loads of delays but have always sold them on thinking the delay pedal wasn't for me and needed something different.

After going round the houses a couple of times I've realised it may just be the fact I have no use for delay pedal!

• meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    edited February 2015
    I think straight delays like a DD-3 can be a little dull to use. 
    When you get something like a Line 6 DL4, or a vox delay lab you get all kinds of modulated repeats and some real lush sounds that can liven things up. 
    I would say dont give up with delay because they can be great.
    Its worth making some awful noises and horrible clashing runs so you start to get a feel for what works and what you can get out of it etc. 

I am not a massive delay user but I wouldn't be without one. 
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7184
    edited February 2015
    I find the notion of "effects are cheating" an utter nonsense. They are tools with which to create. Michelangelo could do really rather pleasant charcoals, but give the Man some colours and he'll paint the shit out of a ceiling for you.

Glib I grant you, but I genuinely don't see much of a distinction. Playing guitar is about "creating" sound. Song writing should be creative. Why giving yourself a wider palette is frowned upon by some has baffled me for my entire guitar playing life. I love hearing a record that makes me question how the player has achieved a certain sound.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom
  • FazerFazer Frets: 467
    i've been thinking a bit more 'ambient' than i have been used to playing, so i will try delay again when i get the right one
    otherwise i use tremolos/phasers in a bounce/pulse kind of way that has a delay-ish feel in stereo
  • Oh, and no... I have like, a billion delays :D
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734
    I don't employ delay.
  • JadenJaden Frets: 251
    almost never use delay.
    Jaden Rose Guitars :: Jaden Rose Guitars on Facebook :: My Facebook :: YouTube

The young do not know enough to be prudent, therefore they attempt the impossible - and achieve it, generation after generation.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72510
    NPP said:
    I've never had a delay pedal, and currently I also play an amp without reverb. Having grown up in the 80s and overexposed to overprocessed guitar tone, I considered delay a form of cheating (using technology to make your tone fat because your fingers can't). I felt the same about compression.
    So why didn't you feel the same about amp overdrive and EQ?

Just curious :). They are also a use of technology to make your tone fat…

I do use delay, though not all the time. I use reverb all the time, just because I like the sound of it - I don't think it makes me play any differently or less well. I can just as easily play an amp with no reverb, but why? If the technology exists to give you the sound you want, use it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    NPP said:
    I've never had a delay pedal, and currently I also play an amp without reverb. Having grown up in the 80s and overexposed to overprocessed guitar tone, I considered delay a form of cheating (using technology to make your tone fat because your fingers can't). I felt the same about compression.
    So why didn't you feel the same about amp overdrive and EQ?

Just curious :). They are also a use of technology to make your tone fat…

I do use delay, though not all the time. I use reverb all the time, just because I like the sound of it - I don't think it makes me play any differently or less well. I can just as easily play an amp with no reverb, but why? If the technology exists to give you the sound you want, use it.

reverb is cheating unless you play in a cave.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72510
    GavHaus said:
    reverb is cheating unless you play in a cave.
    I mostly play in a man-cave, does that count?

:)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Anything other than slap-back sounds really cheesy to me. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • knuckleberryfinn;523869" said:
    Anything other than slap-back sounds really cheesy to me. 
    Slapback is the cheesiest use of delay to me, from an era when long delay times didn't exist.

I like delay. I like my @juansolo delay - it can do nice clear (but still in the mix) repeats to add some space or it can do super dirty repeats with ghosts and an insane amount of sea-sick modulation.

I might get a second delay with longer delay times, maybe a dd-3 or dd-7. Two at once is fun ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I love delay and use it a lot at home when I'm being "me", but didn't touch it in my last covers band as it just wasn't needed in any of the material we were playing.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires