Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Does anyone here NOT use delay?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• I use 2, at the same time usually! Therefore I'll back away from this thread slowly ;)
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LewLew Frets: 1657
    Teetonetal;524016" said:
    One of the biggest pieces of advice I got given: never practice with anything that masks your sound, so no reverb, no delay. Practice sweeps and legato runs unplugged to not use volume as a crutch for poor technique 

Once down,  then practice sweeps, and legato at extreme high gain to highlight handling noise - find out what you are doing wrong and get rid of that noise. 

I found doing these things really made me a 'clean' player.

Record everything.

But, then once you have all that down - add effects, use them creatively, use them to enhance your already great tone. I agree, that U2 thing is not as easy to do (especially live) as people give him credit for... and it sounds HUGE! 
    Interesting. I've always found the opposite true. Low volume and high gain make it easy mode. Nail Yngwie with low gain and high volume and you got it. Now.... make it clean with Gavs pedal land and you're super human.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1632
    I use a delay pretty much all of the time because I currently don't have a reverb pedal.

I need a reverb pedal
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I have a good few delay pedals! Some people would say i over use it but it works for the kind of sound i go for. 

Like everything its one opinion against another 
  • nickpnickp Frets: 183
    in a covers band.  don't use delay until the guitar part needs it

so - sex on fire, monster, london calling etc

then it's fab.  ooh and the slapback with distortion for the outro of walk this way :)

otherwise clean and dry most of the time.  At home or practicing then never.  Don't play edge stuff but might do one day.

If i didn't play in a band then I'd not have a use for one

• Still have yet to dial something I really enjoy on my Timeline. Always thought I wanted a delay pedal, and given how much I loved the BigSky I thought the Timeline was the thing for me, hardly use it :/.

That being said however, I'm still such a noobie when it comes to all things guitar, so my current thinking is that I don't yet have the skill to make it work for me.
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    @unorthodox I reckon delay takes alot more thinking and planning to make it sound good, compared to a reverb or overdrive.

To get you started, I recommend copying the settings (particularly the delay time and feedback) of your guitar heroes. After you understand what you sort of sounds can be achieved, then you can start coming up with your own settings and sounds.
  • Delay is the centre piece of my board. I have 2 on my board, one of them being the alter ego x4 which gives me three presets as I need variety. I absolutely love it.
  • hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    If every delay pedal in the world broke tommorow I'd stop playing guitar.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    Not least because it would be super spooky if that hypothetical thing happened.
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    I just sold my TimeBender as it never gets used.  I've not been in a band for a while now so the dust was beginning to gather!

Still, as soon as the Nemasis comes out, I think it might be a different story ;D