Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

So then.... Fuzz?

What's Hot
hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
I've never used fuzz, and I've hated every single fuzz pedal I've ever tried although that's not many really. I have no idea what I've tried already either.

Thing is, I know that some of my favourite tones (C Numb, etc) have fuzz in them so I'm thinking that maybe I should ask for some knowledge and try to find one that works for me.

I seem to be drawn more towards the smoother side of things, and it's always been the harsh tones that put me off. Can anyone recommend a decent, not too harsh fuzz pedal for under £50 either new or second hand? I'd probably prefer second hand to be honest, as I'll be wanting to get my money back if I end up selling it on. Small form factor would be a bonus too as space on my board is limited, although I could always swap it out with my klone or Rat if needs must.

Feel free to whore out your own pedals if you're selling too!

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7811
    edited February 2015
    If you like the Pink floyed tones, then get a Lunar Module or p19 - both are great smooth fuzz pedals (if you like you can check out my demo of Thorpy's lunar module clone here its prety damn close). For the price range I'd try and find some clones of these in the classifieds.

The trick for fuzz with me is to start with a clean tone, get the fuzz going then dial in some amp or pedal dirt to taste.

Also check out Gilmourish.com guide to gilmours fuzz sounds and some pedals that can create them
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    Great suggestions ^^^
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
    edited February 2015
    Yeah, I agree. I was just listening to @Teetonetal's link (nice playing, btw! :) ) and that's what I like for sure.

I'll have a look at the pedals you suggested, and as I've already bought a klone from @thorpy6 that I'm very happy with I'll invite him here to ask if he's got anything suitable for sale maybe?

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11896
    Skreddy P-19 for the Pink Floyd fuzz tone.  It nails it perfectly, but it is over your budget though, although should be able to get a clone for around that much used.
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6209
    tFB Trader
    hobbio said:
    Yeah, I agree. I was just listening to @Teetonetal's link (nice playing, btw! :) ) and that's what I like for sure.

I'll have a look at the pedals you suggested, and as I've already bought a klone from @thorpy6 that I'm very happy with I'll invite him here to ask if he's got anything suitable for sale maybe?

The only thing i have for sale at the moment is a clone of the Germanium Fuzz face:

Its not the same as the lunar module (which is silicon, three transistors but roughly based on the fuzz face) but fuzz faces are certainly smooth sounding rather than harsh. clearly i can do a deal away from ebay.
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    @thorpy6 I think that one's a little bit further away from what I'm after to be for me, but thanks for letting me know! Sorry dude :)

Is there any mileage in getting a second hand Big Muff instead of a pure fuzz pedal? I've heard terrible things about EH build quality though. Also, according to Gilmourish.com there's a huge difference between the various versions but is that just in respect of getting "that" tone?

To be clear, I'm not trying to ape that sound; rather, I'm using it as an example of the kind of thing I like.

• ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6209
    tFB Trader
    hobbio said:
    @thorpy6 I think that one's a little bit further away from what I'm after to be for me, but thanks for letting me know! Sorry dude :)

Is there any mileage in getting a second hand Big Muff instead of a pure fuzz pedal? I've heard terrible things about EH build quality though. Also, according to Gilmourish.com there's a huge difference between the various versions but is that just in respect of getting "that" tone?

To be clear, I'm not trying to ape that sound; rather, I'm using it as an example of the kind of thing I like.
    Thats ok, its one of the great things about pedals. you can get whatever flavour you want!!

Out of interest i do have a number of interesting Triangle Big muff clones for sale (have a look at my ebay page) i personally feel the triangle muff is the best variant of the BMP. 
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    PM'd

• simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    For under 50 notes and Gilmour tones I'd start with an EH big muff pi or the nano version and see how you get on. The Skreddy stuff, Buffalo Fx and the Blackout Musket are all great for Gilmour.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    Although I don't like the Big Muff, it does seem to have the kind of sound you're after.
    I'd get Thorpy's  Triangle muff for authentic Floyd tones.

• simonk said:
    For under 50 notes and Gilmour tones I'd start with an EH big muff pi or the nano version and see how you get on. The Skreddy stuff, Buffalo Fx and the Blackout Musket are all great for Gilmour.
    mmm the Buffalo pedals are nice..
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1266
    hobbio said:
    I've never used fuzz, and I've hated every single fuzz pedal I've ever tried although that's not many really. I have no idea what I've tried already either.

Thing is, I know that some of my favourite tones (C Numb, etc) have fuzz in them so I'm thinking that maybe I should ask for some knowledge and try to find one that works for me.

I seem to be drawn more towards the smoother side of things, and it's always been the harsh tones that put me off. Can anyone recommend a decent, not too harsh fuzz pedal for under £50 either new or second hand? I'd probably prefer second hand to be honest, as I'll be wanting to get my money back if I end up selling it on. Small form factor would be a bonus too as space on my board is limited, although I could always swap it out with my klone or Rat if needs must.

Feel free to whore out your own pedals if you're selling too!

The Danelectro Cool Cat fuzz is unfeasibly good for the cost, in fact it's a great sounding pedal full stop! It's actually a clone of the Frantone Peach Fuzz and while it can get quite nasty (in a good way!) if you push the "Fuzz" and Tone controls right up it's natural voice, (with the controls set closer to their mid points) is definitely on the smooth rather than raucous side of things.

I've actually replaced mine with a a Pedal Parts "Peachy Fuzz" kit build which sounds very, very, very close to the Dano but only to get a more conventional foorprint and control layout.
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4598
    Get a Nine of Swords Tyrant for £50 , smooth down low and nasty if you want it, pop it through some nice delay and it sounds glorious

simonk said:
    mmm the Buffalo pedals are nice..
    Tru dat!
  • hobbio said:

Stuff like the Fuzz Face and the Muff types don't really fit in with the stuff I play. I've had much more success with pedals that seem to be more than just fuzz, of which the Skreddy Lunar Module and Throbak Overdrive Boost would be prime examples. 

hobbio said:

Stuff like the Fuzz Face and the Muff types don't really fit in with the stuff I play. I've had much more success with pedals that seem to be more than just fuzz, of which the Skreddy Lunar Module and Throbak Overdrive Boost would be prime examples. 
    The Throbak OD Boost is a stupendous pedal - never leave home without one!

There's one on ebay at the mo (not mine I hasten to add). Somebody buy it before I end up with two.

Welp, I'm going for Thorpy's Muff this time round because I'm very happy with the klone I had off him previously and I think it'll help me get close to the sound that's in my head.

I'll probably be trying out a few of the other pedals that people have suggested here too, so thanks for your help!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 921

You want a EHX Big Muff Tone Wicker. About £35-40 s/h. Will give you that violin type lead sound.

I sold this to @PaulC for the same price http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/34850/fs-eqd-ghost-echo-ehx-big-muff-tone-wicker#latest

Best way to dip your feet, and I think one of the best production fuzzes you can get under a ton.

• cj73cj73 Frets: 1003
    edited February 2015
    Not cheap but the Wampler Velvet Fuzz pretty much nails the David G lead sound (and a few others) 

EDIT   Just saw the sub £50 qualifier…so i'm gonna throw  my leftfield precursor into the mix….a mooer rage machine.  Honesty, at low gain settings it was pretty close to that sound