Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

So then.... Fuzz?

What's Hot

Comments

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

I have a Toadworks Mr.Ed, which is fuzzy enough, without the side of Fuzz pedals which doesn't work for me.

Shoved into a Zvex Distortron does those nice lovely Floydian and Hendrixy lead tones.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7828
    gusman2x said:

You want a EHX Big Muff Tone Wicker. About £35-40 s/h. Will give you that violin type lead sound.

I sold this to @PaulC for the same price http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/34850/fs-eqd-ghost-echo-ehx-big-muff-tone-wicker#latest

Best way to dip your feet, and I think one of the best production fuzzes you can get under a ton.

yes! buy mine ;)

"I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8540
    I too have been through a few and like the smoother variety, I've settled on a Mad Professor Amber Overdrive which is a fuzzy hi gain overdrive, it's superb for someone who wants smooth but doesn't want all out fuzz, but it's not cheap.

No surprises from this demo what tone they were going after. It does sound epic though. 

In the cheaper category, I really liked the Mxr Classic Fuzz I had, sounded great. Strangely the Blue mini fuzzface which is a very similar circuit minus the buffer didn't do it for me at all

Here's Andy killing it from about 3:00 in. 

• capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    Skreddy is the God of fuzz pedals
  • hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
    Holy shit that Amber Overdrive sounds good!

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Paul_C said:
    gusman2x said:

You want a EHX Big Muff Tone Wicker. About £35-40 s/h. Will give you that violin type lead sound.

I sold this to @PaulC for the same price http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/34850/fs-eqd-ghost-echo-ehx-big-muff-tone-wicker#latest

Best way to dip your feet, and I think one of the best production fuzzes you can get under a ton.

yes! buy mine ;)

id agree its probably the best place to start for an introduction to fuzz

be warned fuzz pedals are a never ending spiral and you seem to always want to buy just one more...
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RMJRMJ Frets: 1274
    edited February 2015
    You're all wrong. You need this. 

EDIT: Well over budget. Sorry. Iamanarse.

• if you are going over budget and massively so you go D*A*M or you go home

@RMJ that does sound good though!!
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • RMJRMJ Frets: 1274
    if you are going over budget and massively so you go D*A*M or you go home

@RMJ that does sound good though!!
    You're not wrong. 
  • hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
    I've gone for a triangle muff clone from Thorpy this time, but I suspect I'll be getting one or two others that were mentioned here at some point too...

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

• Fairfield Circuitry make not one but two fuzz pedals that make life better.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • Above your price ceiling but this guy's stuff is excellent http://monsterpiecefuzz.com
  • I think you should start off with a Pete Cornish P-1.

Lets face it, once you poke your head down the Fuzz rabbit hole, then you're fucked. GAS WILL CONSUME YOU.  You'll spend you're life trying every fuzz pedal under the sun.  You will eventually end up getting one at some point anyway.

Go straight to jail, do not pass go, do not collect £200.

< \ takes off @Gassage mask> Mwaahaaahaaahhaaa.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Lets face it, once you poke your head down the Fuzz rabbit hole, then you're fucked. GAS WILL CONSUME YOU.  You'll spend you're life trying every fuzz pedal under the sun.  You will eventually end up getting one at some point anyway.

Sad thing is this applies to Delay and OD as well as every other god damn FX type going... you know your GAS sick when you start getting excited about new cables....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Lets face it, once you poke your head down the Fuzz rabbit hole, then you're fucked. GAS WILL CONSUME YOU.  You'll spend you're life trying every fuzz pedal under the sun.  You will eventually end up getting one at some point anyway.

Sad thing is this applies to Delay and OD as well as every other god damn FX type going... you know your GAS sick when you start getting excited about new cables....

hahaha! Oh god yes. Lava kit made me genuinely giddy. Like Lego for a 33 year old pedal nerd.
  • It's funny, I have a self-built clones of a fuzz factory, fuzz face (with interesting non-standard NX-something transistors), and a Ram's head muff with mid boost. They all sound awesome at home but never got the hang of them enough to use with a band. And yet I still want more...
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    I only have fuzz as part of my Tonelab ST - is this wrong ?

;)
  • Paul_C said:
    I only have fuzz as part of my Tonelab ST - is this wrong ?

;)
    Yes. In every conceivable way. 50 lashes for you.
    I might have something arriving today which will improve matters slightly, but obviously I'll have to address my lack of fuzz forthwith.

I do have the (EQD) Park Fuzz Sound on my wishlist.