If you had to pick the best guitar tone you've ever heard......

What's Hot

Comments

• 57Deluxe said:
    Ah - but is it the GUITAR's Tone or the AMP and or FX / AMP you are enamored with?

none of the above. It's the material/ thickness/ shape of the pick that it's all dependent on, if we're truthful...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Best clean tone Best Overdriven tone Best Heavy tone
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72956
    57Deluxe said:
    Ah - but is it the GUITAR's Tone or the AMP and or FX / AMP you are enamored with?

none of the above. It's the material/ thickness/ shape of the pick that it's all dependent on, if we're truthful…
    You're right.

You can clearly hear it in everything the Edge plays.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• bigjonbigjon Frets: 681
    There's two SRV moments where he shakes the 2nd & 3rd strings at the 12th fret on the neck pickup of his Strat. The first is at 0:27 in this Montreux performance of Mary Had A Little Lamb

bigjon said:
    There's two SRV moments where he shakes the 2nd & 3rd strings at the 12th fret on the neck pickup of his Strat. 
    The second is at 0:46 in his performance of Going Down with Jeff Beck

Many Holdsworth favourites but the all-time best tone for me is his first overdriven note at 0:32 in his Live at the Galaxy concert

• capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    edited March 2015
    Pure pop perfection...

• ToonToon Frets: 57

Anything by Robben Ford (as long as it terminates at his Dumble). Tone to die for

I am not young enough to know everything

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72956
    Actually I'm going to change my nomination.

Not for the fainthearted if you don't like Neil Young, but the greatest live guitar tone ever recorded is somewhere in here…

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• WezVWezV Frets: 16918
    for me its this cover - found the CD in the car again this week and remembered how much this tone gets to me.

Giant Drag - Wicked Game

• equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6225
    Megii said:
    Just to put a jazz example in, I love Pat Martino's tone here:

Thanks @Megii, that is just a wonderful example of Pat Martino.. just jaw dropping :D

I also love Robben Ford's tone on Freedom, especially where when the central solo comes in and he turns up the gain and bites into the tone.. just astonishing stuff.

And not forgetting the iconic Mick Ronson and his legendary solo on the end of Moonage Daydream.. his tone was just buttermilk-cream.

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • cbilly22cbilly22 Frets: 361
    Always be this

• MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    equalsql said:
    Megii said:
    Just to put a jazz example in, I love Pat Martino's tone here:

Thanks @Megii, that is just a wonderful example of Pat Martino.. just jaw dropping :D

I also love Robben Ford's tone on Freedom, especially where when the central solo comes in and he turns up the gain and bites into the tone.. just astonishing stuff.

And not forgetting the iconic Mick Ronson and his legendary solo on the end of Moonage Daydream.. his tone was just buttermilk-cream.

Cheers @equalsql - I think PM was using a Gibson L5 on that track, although he often used a solidbody in the 70s. Always sounded great anyhow. Robben Ford is another great pick. Mick Ronson if I'm honest, is not someone I've listened a lot to, but a great guitar tone there certainly.
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    A static lullaby on the self titled album. I believe it's an early bogner ecstasy Being battered by some les Paul customs.

I tried an ecstasy off the back of hearing that album and I sounded utter shit through it.

Others that I love, atreyu -the Crimson, strife -after the defiance.
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2738
    Lonnie Mack: Flying V and Magnatone amp.

• oddballoddball Frets: 248
    I'd forgotten how good she is, her tone on this Jeff Beck cover has that huge woody mid tone that just cuts through everything else ... She's playing a Variax which probably goes to show how good they actually are

• ewalewal Frets: 2633
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5115
    Black Sabbath s/t
    Grand Funk Live
    Trouble Psalm 9
    Van Halen 1
    Rainbow Rising and llrnr
    Entombed Left Hand Path
    Iron Maiden killers
    Free most of it

• jellybellyjellybelly Frets: 776
    Sonic Youth (Moore & Ranaldo) on Washing Machine. Particularly the tracks Becuz and Diamond Sea.
  • jacksparrowjacksparrow Frets: 673
    fresh cream with out a doubt for me.