If you had to pick the best guitar tone you've ever heard......

What's Hot
1234568»

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72956
    Today it's pretty much anything by the Jesus And Mary Chain. Not everyone's cup to tea I'm sure, but I love the sounds they got with a hollowbody guitar, a couple of fuzz pedals and a Fender amp with the reverb turned up to 10.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31088
    I think the tone of mock outrage in J-Con's protestations of innocence takes a lot of beating.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6842
    tFB Trader
    Live, the greatest guitar sound i've heard was while standing next to Rick Parfitt's amps at a Quo gig a few years back, an AC30 and JCM800, together, flat out is the tone I've been chasing ever since.

On record, I think it's have to be Townshend's slashing chord work on his P90 SG Special on Won't Get Fooled Again. Or perhaps that just works in the context of the track...??
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
  • Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    Clean: Telegraph Road - Dire straits
    Crunch:
    'Awibble'
    Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72956
    miserneil said:
    On record, I think it's have to be Townshend's slashing chord work on his P90 SG Special on Won't Get Fooled Again. Or perhaps that just works in the context of the track...??
    If that's the album version it's a Gretsch 6120 through a Fender Tweed Bandmaster.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

tFB Trader
    Hertz32 said:
    Clean: Telegraph Road - Dire straits
    Crunch: image
    This also +1

I would even go a far as saying MK has one of, if not the most distinctive guitar sound in the world. I'd say I could recognise him playing within 5 notes. And I've never heard it be shite either.
    (formerly miserneil)
    tFB Trader
    ICBM;601623" said:
    miserneil said:On record, I think it's have to be Townshend's slashing chord work on his P90 SG Special on Won't Get Fooled Again. Or perhaps that just works in the context of the track...??

If that's the album version it's a Gretsch 6120 through a Fender Tweed Bandmaster.
    Is it really?? Well fuck me drunk! I knew he used a Gretsch in the studio a bit but didn't realise it was the guitar on that track.

Just goes to show, a guitar's sound is 50% looks... :-)
    (formerly miserneil)
  • FretKingFretKing Frets: 53
    Ooooooh, I can pick a "Live" tone now. It's totally different to S.R.V, but it's another example of a Tone I love.

The unforgettable Alan Murphy.

+1, sorely missed
  • That point at 1:42 where James Burton with his early 50's tele just screams, the guitar actually sounds angry! ~X(