Take away delivery driving

What's Hot
holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
I'm looking at ways to support myself over the summer. I'd have to buy a car, which will be a bit of an initial outlay. But does anybody have experience of it? I'm concerned about everybody wanting somebody willing to it cash in hand, and if it pays much.
My V key is broken
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    edited March 2015

Isn't it conventional to have a 50cc scooter? Cheaper than cars, although not as useful for dating.....

• RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3090
    edited March 2015
    About 20 years ago, a mate of mine did some delivery work for a local pizza company. 

His pay was a ten pound float at the start of the night and then whatever else he made in tips on top of that.
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    Hopefully things have improved since then.
    My V key is broken
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    Wouldn't the insurers sting you so much as to make it not worth your while?
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73074
    Wouldn't the insurers sting you so much as to make it not worth your while?
    Given by the way most delivery drivers seem to behave, hopefully.

:)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    i know a guy that does it-cash in hand under the counter, good for a few quid a week no doubt.

Easier than cabbing too as you can avoid all the expense of insurance/council permit etc.

I don't condone cash in had work by the way, pay your taxes people!!!!111!-!1!!1!!

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

• I have a friend that does it. It doesn't sound that good if you ask me. They don't pay his fuel and he ends up putting loads of mileage on his car (Which is a bag of spanners so that's not a crying shame). He's worked at 3 delivery places and they all have the "we don't pay your fuel" policy. I think he gets about 7 quid an hour? Maybe a bit less...
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    You could go self employed for hermes and do rural runs or something.
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    Didn't you say you thought about being a railtrack engineer or something?  Why not write to the railways and all sorts see if you can get some temporary work at a low rate?
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    You are better than this my friend move forward into new arenas
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    Why is he better than this? It's a pretty casual job to see him through summer while at uni.....I don't think anyone's above or below any kind of job.

(I'm not a delivery driver)

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

Ah silly me he is in Gateshead!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    edited March 2015

Isn't @lloyd a takeaway delivery driver? 

Holn, you could end up meeting some lonely old sugar mummy who orders takeaways each night just to see your lovely face strolling up the garden path.  It's worth a shot.

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited March 2015
    There are loads of jobs around if you look hard enough and having done this job many many years ago I can guarantee you its not great and the money is shit.

Look at his avatar he is a creative chap with a sense of humour, he can do better than being a pizza delivery man and besides he won't suit the baseball caps they have to wear at papajohns

Buying a car ...., repairs , insurance , petrol, tax enjoy the 50p tips I refer you to my initial post
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1793
    If you had to get a car specifically for the job then I think it would end up costing you more than you'd earn. Also think about which areas you'd be delivering to, my cousin ended up having a fairly rough delivery area and had a few scares (being by yourself trying to get money out of people who are sat at home drinking/partying). What's the thoughts on rail engineering? (As that's the field I work in)
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5883
    I would seriously not lay out cash for a Car, for the sole purpose of that "Temporary" Job @holnrew.

If you were thinking of getting a little runaround anyway, then maybe, but approach with the wise words from the other guys in mind.

I once was looking for Summer work whilst at Uni and I managed to get a Van Driving/Warehouse Job for 2 years running(same Company). Try looking around your local area for large distributors(not owner driver orientated), the one I worked for was a Pharmaceutical and General Chemist Shop stock distributor.

I did around 13 weeks each summer and was out in the Van at least half the time and they send you out to learn the routes with a Driver before they let you loose on your own, well, mine did and if their worth their salt they will.

A lot of places like this are looking for Summer Cover while their Drivers are on Hols.

I remember seeing jobs for Leaflet Distributors too, usually involves getting a lift to work and back home, so money for getting a bit of excercise while you walk around delivering and then a lift both ways.

Or there is the old transporting of "Marketing Agents" better known as Window Salesman, this is usually a Company Car, not one you have to provide. Usually Agency Jobs but just type "Driver" and your location into Universal Jobmatch.

Make sure you look on Universal Jobmatch and even set up an account on there for notifications/alerts, you don't have to be unemployed to sign up.

Good Luck.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5883
    edited March 2015
    Oh yeah, and if some of these jobs are not advertised as Temporary, just don't say owt about Uni, pretend you just need a job. A lot of these jobs(esp the Salesmen Driver ones) will have a high turnover of employees anyway, so they'll be used to people buggering off.

You know what to say and not say anyway, but just helping.

Oh, there are also Jobs, delivering Cars(Car Deliver Driver), but never consider one involving Trade Plates, some of the companies will ferry you with "Runner Drivers", just be aware of where your meeting point will be in relation to distance from your home.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • d8md8m Frets: 2434
    Sambostar said:
    You could go self employed for hermes and fail to deliver anything.
    Fixed

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • roundthebendroundthebend Frets: 1158
    My local Domino's pizza were looking for drivers. I think they insure you on your own car, then pay £1 per delivery. I think there may have been a mileage allowance too, to cover fuel.
    Friend of mine did it to pay off a credit card and it worked well.
  • imaloneimalone Frets: 748
    I wonder about the people delivering for justeat places, people tend to prepay by credit card, so from what I know (don't often get takeaways/deliveries at all) they tend to just turn up and drop off, can't be relying on tips.