Looks like the 'get rid of the Gibson 2015 stock' drive has started.

What's Hot

Comments

• OctahedronOctahedron Frets: 400
    *sigh* the only good 'new' Gibson is the Slash Rosso Corsa. That is one fine beast of a guitar. Looks great. Plays great. Sounds... amazing. Even in my hands! Now, if only I could afford one... 
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    Octahedron;629863" said:
    *sigh* the only good 'new' Gibson is the Slash Rosso Corsa. That is one fine beast of a guitar. Looks great. Plays great. Sounds... amazing. Even in my hands! Now, if only I could afford one... 
    That's a couple of years old though surely? I've had my vermilion over a year and that came out after the rosso corsa

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4904
    Anyone looking at buying a 2015 will have to keep it as the secondhand value will hit the floor.

The market will be saturated with them too, pushing the price down further.
    If you think about that, given that they are very slow selling (allegedly), there wont be a glut as not enough will have been sold.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    rlw;629910" said:
    Fortheloveofguitar said:

Anyone looking at buying a 2015 will have to keep it as the secondhand value will hit the floor.

The market will be saturated with them too, pushing the price down further.

If you think about that, given that they are very slow selling (allegedly), there wont be a glut as not enough will have been sold.
    Yeah but they will sell at some point, the price will keep dropping until shops have got rid of the stock, add in the fact they were undesirable in the first place and resale becomes non existent.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Something like a classic will have to come down to below a grand to get them shifting I'm sure.
  • aspnetaspnet Frets: 46
    Is it just me or are the offer prices for these on the latest email from GuitarGuitar actually higher than the prices a couple of weeks ago...?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6813
    @aspnet - No you aren't going mad. Google and PMT shop I was in were saying £1915 which is why I started a thread on it last week. Now they're £2199 - shenanigans!
  • redrighthandredrighthand Frets: 749
    aspnet said:
    Is it just me or are the offer prices for these on the latest email from GuitarGuitar actually higher than the prices a couple of weeks ago...?

Yep. Latest "offer" prices are more expensive than they have been and no doubt will be.
  • Mark the price up to then discount it, making it look like a good deal.

Totally dishonest. They clearly think the buying public are stupid.

They just can't shift them
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    edited May 2015
    They will be trying to find a price point that shifts boxes move it up move it down pump and dump.

Like the look of this new 339 

• DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2228
    edited May 2015
    Question is if you are currently a gibson dealer, would you want to be one next year?

I'm theorising that current stockists have to buy a sizeable chunk of gibsons outright. Surely a certificate of authenticity and some case candy gumpf for a 2015 model would have been a smarter move than that horrendous squiggle?
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
    DrJazzTap said:
    Question is if you are currently a gibson dealer, would you want to be one next year?

I'm theorising that current stockists have to buy a sizeable chunk of gibsons outright. Surely a certificate of authenticity and some case candy gumpf for a 2015 model would have been a smarter move than that horrendous squiggle?
    As far as I know, you are not far wrong but they do and they don't as such.  They have an account which has to be paid off on a monthly basis but they have no say over what is actually delivered to them.  Apparently.  I was told last week that one online retailer had just received their sixth custom shop LP to add to the other five unsold ones..............
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    capo4th said:
    They will be trying to find a price point that shifts boxes move it up move it down pump and dump.

Like the look of this new 339 

Be even better with a wide neck and G-Force...........
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    rlw said:
    DrJazzTap said:

As far as I know, you are not far wrong but they do and they don't as such.  They have an account which has to be paid off on a monthly basis but they have no say over what is actually delivered to them.  Apparently.  I was told last week that one online retailer had just received their sixth custom shop LP to add to the other five unsold ones..............

I thought they were all hand picked from the factory ......
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 25006
    As I understand it there is a minimum commitment Gibson require a dealer to make, in order to become (and remain) a dealer.

This lack of flexibility means a smaller retailer probably couldn't consider becoming a stockist - and it's a similar story with other major brands.

That a manufacturer is able to dictate to a business owner what they must sell seems a bizarre - and very unfair - business model.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74503
    As I understand it there is a minimum commitment Gibson require a dealer to make, in order to become (and remain) a dealer.

This lack of flexibility means a smaller retailer probably couldn't consider becoming a stockist - and it's a similar story with other major brands.

That a manufacturer is able to dictate to a business owner what they must sell seems a bizarre - and very unfair - business model.
    A small retailer I used to know went bust at least partly by trying to remain a Marshall dealer, when they kept requiring him to take stuff he didn't want and couldn't sell.

It's no wonder big companies can get away with producing crap products when the dealers can't even give them effective feedback by not ordering ones they don't want to stock.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2228
    It's an odd one though, I don't mean to keep going on like a PRS fanboy. But If Gibson had maintained a decent level of consistency, then perhaps things might be more favourable for them. I do think the 2015's I've seen look better put together than some of last years models.

The Les Paul is Gibsons trump card in my book, arguably the best known model. The market for a 59-60 les paul guitar into a blues breaker is going to be around for a little while longer.

But say in thirty years time, do you think that set up is going to be as revered? Considering the premium for a like for like (obviously not original models). I mean in thirty years time, would you fork out for a brand new Les Paul into a handwired Marshall combo. It pains me to think how much that would cost. Then compare that to a say a Suhr Badger/Friedman/Cornell or a Bogner amplifier with a Feline or another high end Les Paul influenced model at that point in time.

IMHO a lot of these industry giants are living on past glories or ever decreasing artist relations. The more complacent/arrogant they become the more artists/customers they piss off.
     Nothing wrong with innovation, I just think the R&D team at Gibson need to be moved away from the wild mushrooms. What complaints have customers expressed about your product?? And how can we address these?

Do they want a creepy Les Paul Hologram? No
    Do they want a self tuning guitar? No

Just off the top of my head. A better headstock volute, better upper fret access, improved customer service, improved QC on the final product.
    My gut feel, is that if they had implimented one or two of those into the 2015 line up (minus the stupid price rise!) then I wouldnt be bombarded with Gibson price slash emails from every online retailer.
    I gather the hologram is to try and counter act the Chibson's. Sort your bloody instrument dating system out, and stick to it. Fender are just as bad. I bought a second hand Yamaha acoustic for £55 from guitarguitar last year. I was able to find to the month, the year that  guitar was made....1989.
    However navigating around the various Gibson and Fender systems....jeesh.

Same with Marshall, just make a damn amp that has a great clean channel and has been road tested to death before releasing it. The quality of the product will sell itself.

I think its time for bed now, tad cranky.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6813
    Agreed - I can't believe they did any market testing at all, which is incredibly stupid for a manufacturer.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 28099
    You're all missing the point. The 2016 models will be worse, so by then the 2015 models will be quite sought-after...
    <space for hire>
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited May 2015
    digitalscream;630997" said:
    You're all missing the point. The 2016 models will be worse, so by then the 2015 models will be quite sought-after...
    Or they will be 2013 models and sell by the truck load as people will be too scared to not buy as they won't know what 2017 will hold.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom