Looks like the 'get rid of the Gibson 2015 stock' drive has started.

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• BucketBucket Frets: 7752
    Just had a look. Meh. At least I got to see this again (sadly not reduced, still an eye-watering £3,249)

- "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4268
    Actually looks as though those of us with CS 335's etc are actually owning guitars that won't lose money,,,,in theory ;) The satin 335 in the demo sounded bloody horrible tbh, though that might be the amp/mic setup
  • KuroblackKuroblack Frets: 78
    Anyone looking at buying a 2015 will have to keep it as the secondhand value will hit the floor. 

Maybe, but who buys a guitar and thinks about resale value? Surely you buy it for yourself, not the next bloke? I'm far more interested in playing it to death over the next 30/40 years :)

What it's worth is inconsequential for me - my Strat for example is maybe worth double what I paid for it, but what relevance has that when it will never be sold?

I think new prices will continue to rise though - my prediction? I wouldn't be at all surprised if Standards weren't 3k within 3-5 years.

Having lost so much money over the past 35 years on guitars , the resale actually is a factor , worth spending a little more in the first place on a known brand. Look at Briggs Collings Huber etc , lovely guitar but a resale value that is scary considering the retail price and also a lot harder to sell on.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28753
    Kuroblack said:
    Anyone looking at buying a 2015 will have to keep it as the secondhand value will hit the floor. 

Maybe, but who buys a guitar and thinks about resale value? Surely you buy it for yourself, not the next bloke? I'm far more interested in playing it to death over the next 30/40 years :)

You haven't been here long, have you? ;)

FWIW I agree with you to an extent, but if you're tied between 2 guitars, one of which will be 80% of what you paid in a year, and one 30%, then option gives you far less risk of taking a bath if you find you don't click with it. 

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • BogwhoppitBogwhoppit Frets: 2754
    Kuroblack said:

I would have whole heartily agreed with you 30-40 years ago when I bought a [single] guitar as a working tool.  Fast forward to the 90s when disposable income became a nationwide phenomenon for the average working man, and thus the emergence of GAS, and I'd have to argue that many of us have to look at resale when buying.

For example: I recently felt the need to buy a PRS, I no longer play professionally, so no longer require a tool - just a toy of curiosity. That toy would cost me £2k, which is a substantial investment for something I may not like, not use, or just get bored with. Hence I - along with many others - have to look into the future.

Think of it this way. How many retired or hobby builders require ten power drills - none really, but they're nice to spin up once in a while, but not nice enough to keep for thirty years.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11726
    Sometimes you find that you like a guitar when you play it for an hour or so in a shop, or in the honeymoon period when you first buy it, but you go off it with regular use.

Sometimes your tastes change over the years.

Sometimes you might need money, and room in the house, to get your daughter a piano and if you have 15 guitars then....

For whatever reason you might end up selling something on at some point.  Resale is a consideration.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I had that with my 2012 LP Trad , lovely guitar and after a decent fettle was probably the nicest LP I have ever played/owned I noticed after a few months that it spent more time on the wall rack than any other of my guitars, just couldn't get on with it, so traded it for another Parker Fly which gets used daily.
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6813
    If you are so rich or so committed to a purchase that resale value doesn't matter then good for you! Sincerely that is a gret place to be :)

But for the rest of us, resale values do matter. To say they shouldn't is to blindly ignore how we choose to manage our money and live our lives.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom