Hmmmm...

What's Hot
HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8122
Looks like someone's been at this with a blunt spoon and some coarse sandpaper.

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• aspnetaspnet Frets: 46
    Just spotted that too...somebody really went to work on that body
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3043
    Soooo pooor
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 10019
    Nice refinishing project for somebody?
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4268
    Be an interesting project

• DaleftyDalefty Frets: 509
    Some bastard just out bid me on it, I bid £22.00 and some wanker went straight to £23.00, DaLefty
    Both dog and owner available for stud, please contact DaLefty if interested
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7716
    edited May 2015
    Why is the hardware silver rather than gold?
    Also why does the headstock inlay just look plain white rather than abalone or whatever it usually is?
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6866
    tFB Trader
    Has it been underwater?! Or condensation in an attic? That lower horn looks a bit pointy perhaps? Hmmmm indeed....
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17501
    I think it is water damage and being left in a lost, I imagine a lot of the paint flaked off or wore right through when he cleaned it, but it was always going to be a refinish job after that

I would be storing that somewhere dry for a minimum of 6 months, although it clearly had a hard life before loft storage
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74500
    DefaultM said:
    Also why does the headstock inlay just look plain white rather than abalone or whatever it usually is?
    Because it's a fake that has been very thoroughly and cleverly disguised as a wrecked real one.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8122
    Someone should go view it... ;)

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

• GuitarMonkeyGuitarMonkey Frets: 1883
    Not made by Gibson.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17501
    ICBM;631083" said:
    DefaultM said:

Because it's a fake that has been very thoroughly and cleverly disguised as a wrecked real one.
    I saw the knot on top and the light patch on back, obviously bridge and tuners are not original.

First thought was fake, but what makes you sure?

Having done a few loft or shed finds the wear on the remaining paint seemed consistent with that. The massive gouges, not so much

• GuitarMonkeyGuitarMonkey Frets: 1883
    The headstock is the strong shape, as is the control cavity. I've never seen a Les Paul with the screws in those positions.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12766
    If something looks too good to be true, it usually is.

But Non-full size pots (look like Alpha) and the wrong shape cavity point to a fake, along with the truss rod being a chewed up Allen key, not a Gibson nut...
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• RoxRox Frets: 2147
    On my screen it looks like a rosewood board, too.  Very stripey as far as I can see...
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8122
    I too thought the truss rod was a giveaway.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74500
    WezV said:
    I saw the knot on top and the light patch on back, obviously bridge and tuners are not original.

First thought was fake, but what makes you sure?

Having done a few loft or shed finds the wear on the remaining paint seemed consistent with that. The massive gouges, not so much

It's definitely a fake, and the seller knows it too - the photography has been done to deliberately pick up on the bits that someone who knows just enough to get themselves into trouble might look for. There are quite a lot of genuine parts on it too.

Here's a good example - the switch is a real old Switchcraft, and there's a nice close-up of the back of it. But if you look at the front of the guitar, you can see the nut is a plain flat one not the correct deep recessed type - that means the top of the cavity is much too thin to be a real one. Characteristic of Chinese fakes.

Or - the bridge correctly does not have slotted posts (a common giveaway) but is mounted too 'straight' on the top - it should be angled.

Or - the pots and bumblebee caps look old, but the screw hole positions and cavity cover outline are wrong compared to the cavity rout, because the cover is the wrong shape.

The wood in the back and neck is also far too pale to be mahogany, and he's been good enough to reveal plenty of it. It's not maple either, as the neck (but not the body) would be on a late-70s one.

It's not intended to be good enough to catch an expert - just good enough to catch an optimist who thinks they've found the lost holy grail on Ebay and has read up on some of the things to look for. I'd guess it will sell for a few hundred.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7716
    I was suspicious as soon as I saw "Aimee" on the end of the description. As though they're wanting to entice people who think they're going to be taking a guitar worth thousands from a young woman who was a bit naive.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3847
    It's certainly a trap for the unwary.
    :|
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6813
    @DefaultM - Wisdom. A con man says the best mark is someone who thinks they're a bit of a con man themselves.