Hey dude, is that guitar/amp/pedal still for sale? I'm really interested....

What's Hot
rlwrlw Frets: 4782
edited May 2015 in Guitar
Well, if you are really interested please try and respond when I answer in the affirmative, even if only to say its not for me after all.

Here, Gumtree, Facebook; all the same - an email, a positive response with encouraging and accommodating overtones (steady chaps) and nothing, nada, fuck all..  Even from people who really really want it and are sorry they missed it when it was for sale before.

Does everyone experience this or is it just me?

Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• McTootMcToot Frets: 2043
    Gumtree's the worst, which is always why it's my last port of call.  Here is normally, but not always, better. 

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

My trading feedback  - I'm a good egg  ;) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BogwhoppitBogwhoppit Frets: 2754
    rlw said:

All the time. Its one of the drawbacks of using Gumtree and Facebook selling groups.

I just accept its part of the process when selling through certain media, however, I find you can quickly establish a genuine buyer from a time waster by their opening email or text.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    Not just you. People put up a WTB, I respond, they ask for details, I send, goes quiet. They then say they're still very interested, I respond, nothing. Then when I ask to confirm they're not interested they say "well I hadn't heard anything". AS IF I SHOULD BE CHASING THEM!!! Just tells me that they are plonkers so best to steer clear. Irritating but at least you find out early :)
  • mattacjonesmattacjones Frets: 508
    Ah, the anonymity of the internet, don't you just love it. Yep, gumtree is shite, but it's just that the hapless advertiser is left open to the basic rudeness of people who can hide away in the web. When it's guitars though, don't you find you get this dopey "hey dude" kind of language - like yeah, man, we're all guitar animals man, and all live in LA - language completely naff? I can't imagine anyone speaking to me like that to my face! Inconceivable
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
    Yo dude, cool yer jets, man ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8503
    I've said it before. The ones who buy basically say they're going to buy it in the first message they send - maybe ask a question or two about the condition, but somewhere in the message are words to the effect of "I will buy this off you."

As soon as it's "I'm interested in this" or they start asking more questions, asking for extra pictures etc, the chance that they'll actually give you money plummets. And the ones that make you go out of your way to provide measurements, look up technical specs or otherwise put extra effort in are in my experience almost always wasting your time.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Idea! How about we have other acronyms like WTB but instead:
    ISADTS - is someone absolutely desperate to sell, or
    IVIIMB - I'm vaguely interested in maybe buying...

:)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4651
    I only use Gumtree for local collections.  That's all I've found a use for it for.
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    Selling an epi dot a few months ago on Facebook someone asked me the year of it-fair enough-and a pic of the serial number. I duly got him the info only for him to say that's the same year/model as his....What's the point? Weirdos out there, you just need to filter them out.

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4782
    Thanks chaps, nice to know its not just me..........

And apologies to anyone I've done it too as well :-(
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • Shark_EyesShark_Eyes Frets: 377
    Last time I sent a message on gumtree, I asked a bunch of questions about dings, strings, tone etc and then finished with "Is it possible to come over and try it out" and then a list of dates and times I was free.

I never heard back, was this because I'd neglected to be clear that I was going to turn up with the cash in my pocket, or because I'd asked too many questions?

I never heard back, was this because I'd neglected to be clear that I was going to turn up with the cash in my pocket, or because I'd asked too many questions?
    More than likely, it had been sold.

Here is my personal experience of selling 'stuff'; the question asked, and the real meaning behind it.

Do you still have the item = I'm attempting to be a professional scammer

Do you still have the guitar = I have one the same, and want to know if I can sell mine for the same price

I've been looking for one of these for ages to add to my collection = I want this to flip on eBay

Is that a small .0005mm mark I can see on the bottom of the case = I want mint, and only mint for the lowest price possible plus a full refund option.

Can I come over and take a look, however, I might not be buying today = They're looking for a friend - avoid and point them towards speed dating

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5228
    rlw said:
    Well, if you are really interested please try and respond when I answer in the affirmative, even if only to say its not for me after all.

Here, Gumtree, Facebook; all the same - an email, a positive response with encouraging and accommodating overtones (steady chaps) and nothing, nada, fuck all..  Even from people who really really want it and are sorry they missed it when it was for sale before.

Yep, got a lot of tyre kicking action last time I sold something, both here and on Gumtree.

I don't mind replying to a single "have you still got..." email and getting no reply so much as I mind writing detailed answers to specific questions back and forth for several days only to have the buyer go quiet. One person in particular went through this process not once but twice. It's enough to make you want to keep your stuff.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• brucegillbrucegill Frets: 726
    "Whats your best price" 

Grrrrrrrrrrrrr :(
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5228
    brucegill said:
    "Whats your best price" 

Grrrrrrrrrrrrr :(

"Best for me? About twice what I advertised it for. That would be awesome."

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7362
    I post ads on LOOT for some Sound Patches for the ROLAND D Series Synths and am fed up with all the sub continent scammers wanting to buy the 'Keyboard' and have their agent collect it from me and take my money into the bargain...

English is a wonderful language when used properly...

Someone is interested in your ad:
    - View online: http://loot.com/leisure-and-lifestyle/musical-instruments/pianos-keyboards-and-organs/gu12/roland-d50-d10-d110-and-mt32-upgrades-2792203ad

Please do not reply to this email but use the contact information in the message below. Thank you.

Here’s their message:
    - Email: desaigm007@gmail.com
    - Message: I'm interested to purchase the keyboard kindly provides the quote in Indian rupee

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

As soon as it's "I'm interested in this" or they start asking more questions, asking for extra pictures etc, the chance that they'll actually give you money plummets. And the ones that make you go out of your way to provide measurements, look up technical specs or otherwise put extra effort in are in my experience almost always wasting your time.
    Well having recently 'been interested' in buying a synth on a local FB page, and having sent a message to the guy stating my interest along with a query regarding the vocoder mic that wasn't pictured or mentioned in the blurb, I am a bit peeved to be still waiting for a reply. It's just rude.

I have to agree about non-replies to queries on stuff I've been selling when I've been asked for further info, pictures etc- sometimes involving a degree of inconvenience. You send the requested stuff to the enquirer and get not even a thanks-but-no-thanks for your trouble. This is also rude.
  • XWulfhereXWulfhere Frets: 416
    I had a Porsche 928 about 10 years ago, and when advertised it on ebay to sell I had a lot of timewasters and basically learned my lesson about selling online right there. People asking for more and more photos (I had plenty up there already), asking weird questions. In the end the bloke who bought it was just uncomplicated, came looked at it and we worked out a decent price.

After it had gone I has some spares left over - space saver wheel, jack, S4 style bumpers and I listed those too. Some unbeleivable chancers! I started all auctions at 99p thinking 'I'll just let them fetch what they fetch' but I delisted them after a few days as I was just inundated with people saying "I'll give you£10 for it, it won't fetch anymore than that anyway". I ignored them all.

And you know what else? Those safety lids on bottles of sanatogen. There I am trying to get the lid off and along comes my six year old and says "there you are daddy" and it's off in a Jiffy. Someone's gonna get hurt.
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    In the car sales industry they're known as tyre kickers....its the same everywhere. Whatever things you're selling....