Hey dude, is that guitar/amp/pedal still for sale? I'm really interested....

What's Hot

Comments

• rlwrlw Frets: 4782
    Wulfhere said:
    I had a Porsche 928 about 10 years ago, and when advertised it on ebay to sell I had a lot of timewasters and basically learned my lesson about selling online right there. People asking for more and more photos (I had plenty up there already), asking weird questions. In the end the bloke who bought it was just uncomplicated, came looked at it and we worked out a decent price.

After it had gone I has some spares left over - space saver wheel, jack, S4 style bumpers and I listed those too. Some unbeleivable chancers! I started all auctions at 99p thinking 'I'll just let them fetch what they fetch' but I delisted them after a few days as I was just inundated with people saying "I'll give you£10 for it, it won't fetch anymore than that anyway". I ignored them all.

928 eh.  Brave man.  I never managed to sell a Porsche privately - 944T/3.2 Carrera/964WB/993C4S/996GT3 - all traded as I couldn't deal with the twats wanting to buy but never quite managing it.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I've found it to be VERY variable, Facebook sales seem to have gone easiest- it's less anonymous than gumtree & folk don't want to be called out for poor behaviour in a group they may uses again. I would expect the same to be true of sales via the classifieds.

The worst was my last (gumtree) sale, I advertised a guitar for a fair price of £200 (I often add 10% to my gumtree ads expecting haggling)… I agreed via email to sell him it for £170 & that he could come and collect from my flat. 
    I mentioned that I had a 6 day old baby so could he please come early evening (& that he was welcome to try it through my THR10, but that it'd have to be using headphones due to the kid). 

He arrived 2hours late (no response to my attempted contact, by the smell of him I'd guess he'd been in the pub all afternoon), proceeded to unplug the 'phones & play REALLY loud (woke the baby & annoyed the neighbours) I asked him to turn down. Nope. I then turned the amp off Had to grab a bottle for the now upset baby… up goes the volume again- I unplugged the amp this time.

So I asked him to buy it or leave…
    "Yeah its really nice, I want it but I don't have any cash on me. Where's the nearest cash machine?"
    Off he goes to get cash. Comes back:
    "I don't have £170 in my account, I could give you half today, take the guitar & come back with the rest in a day or two" 
    "Erm, no. Bye" 

he then asked why I was being a "dick".

Thankfully I had another buyer the next day, who arrived when he said he would, had the money, and was generally a pleasure to deal with. Swings and roundabouts I guess. 

As mentioned in another thread, I'm attempting to go a year without buying or selling ANY musical stuff. I don't miss the interactions with some of these idiots.
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BogwhoppitBogwhoppit Frets: 2754

Talk about ironic.

I'm selling some odds 'n' ends at the moment, and have been asked if the bits I'm selling have 'certificates of authentication'.  To clarify, I'm being asked if I have a COA for a Fender guitar strap and other similar bits.

A few weeks back, he rejected buying someone's Strat because they didn't have the original sales receipt, which in part I can understand - although that will rule him out of many sales. I'm not sure whether the buyer is being unreasonable, of is over cautious due to Chi prefixed fakes flooding the market place.

• mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    Don't know about here but the basic rule for ebay is: ignore all questions!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8503
    siraxeman said:
    In the car sales industry they're known as tyre kickers....its the same everywhere. Whatever things you're selling....
    Ironically, the most successful sale I ever made on Gumtree was my Focus estate - It had a few things wrong with it - broken back wiper motor, Stereo didn't work if it was below 5 degrees C, engine kept on going into limp home mode despite many trips to the garage. I put it on for a price I thought was fair and within 24 hours I'd had 50 messages from second hand car dealers and sold it to a guy who lived a street over and turned up on my doorstep cash in hand having recognised the drive/ front of house from the photo.

The downside was I'd found out my cat was run over about 5 minutes before they knocked, so that kinda stunted any celebratory feelings I might have had. So I guess Gumtree is still bullshit.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LewLew Frets: 1657
    Selling a guitar at the mo and I've had about a dozen messages in a week and a half. More often than not ending the reply to my answer with "I'll be intouch when I get the finances together" wait... what? Now I just reply with my mobile number!
  • newi123newi123 Frets: 921
    rlw said:
    Wulfhere said:
    I had a Porsche 928 about 10 years ago, and when advertised it on ebay to sell I had a lot of timewasters and basically learned my lesson about selling online right there. People asking for more and more photos (I had plenty up there already), asking weird questions. In the end the bloke who bought it was just uncomplicated, came looked at it and we worked out a decent price.

After it had gone I has some spares left over - space saver wheel, jack, S4 style bumpers and I listed those too. Some unbeleivable chancers! I started all auctions at 99p thinking 'I'll just let them fetch what they fetch' but I delisted them after a few days as I was just inundated with people saying "I'll give you£10 for it, it won't fetch anymore than that anyway". I ignored them all.

928 eh.  Brave man.  I never managed to sell a Porsche privately - 944T/3.2 Carrera/964WB/993C4S/996GT3 - all traded as I couldn't deal with the twats wanting to buy but never quite managing it.
    I remember selling my mid 80s m535i through trade it and discovering it had a very `specific` demographic interested in it............ :-( Most trying sale ever. 

Also sold a car recently through gum tree and was surprised that although my number was in the ad I got 2 phone calls and many more texts and emails - makes the whole process much harder, and decided that anyone really serious would really call me. I mean, why wouldn`t you call?

All guitar sales through ebay and here, and honestly able to say all gone very smoothly. No problems in buyers paying and no real issues with postage. Maybe I`m just lucky! :-)
    Lew said:
    "I'll be intouch when I get the finances together"
    When I receive a comment like that, I always reply with 'you should have asked your mum before you reply to ads'

• XWulfhereXWulfhere Frets: 416
    rlw said:
    Wulfhere said:

Yeah, lots of dreamers in that scene... I loved the 928 though, it was an S2. Fully stripped, rebuilt and restored it including paintjob. Really glad I did it, great car to have in my early 20s.... but never again!
    And you know what else? Those safety lids on bottles of sanatogen. There I am trying to get the lid off and along comes my six year old and says "there you are daddy" and it's off in a Jiffy. Someone's gonna get hurt.
  • XWulfhereXWulfhere Frets: 416
    newi123 said:

I remember selling my mid 80s m535i through trade it and discovering it had a very `specific` demographic interested in it............ :-( Most trying sale ever. 

Now that was a beast of a car - I would have loved one of them!
    And you know what else? Those safety lids on bottles of sanatogen. There I am trying to get the lid off and along comes my six year old and says "there you are daddy" and it's off in a Jiffy. Someone's gonna get hurt.
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5228

newi123 said:
    Also sold a car recently through gum tree and was surprised that although my number was in the ad I got 2 phone calls and many more texts and emails - makes the whole process much harder, and decided that anyone really serious would really call me. I mean, why wouldn`t you call?

Well for one thing because it requires the seller to be available at the exact time I call. I spend a great deal of my life at work, driving, dealing with my kids, rehearsing with my band, taking a shit etc, and if I'm doing one of those things I don't necessarily want to be answering phone calls from numbers I don't know. If I get a text or email I can reply at my leisure.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Where are you based.

Bromley - like it says in the fucking ad.  It's not that difficult surely.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    rlw said:
    Where are you based.

Bromley - like it says in the fucking ad.  It's not that difficult surely.
    I had that for a while, until I found out Gumtree wasn't showing locations on their mobile site. I was becoming really frustrated with - what I viewed - the amount of idiots who I felt were incapable of reading a bloody advert. In the end, I vented my spleen on Gumtree.

• SNAKEBITESNAKEBITE Frets: 1075

Freaking idiots.

I'm a freak magnet when it comes to selling things. I try to keep the price low, just to make it easy and quick, but no.

Boils my piss.

• NamaquaNamaqua Frets: 62
    As mentioned in another thread, I'm attempting to go a year without buying or selling ANY musical stuff.
    GAS cold turkey. I went there once, couldn't handle it and fell off the wagon.
    I've had that one ages darling
  • GruGru Frets: 339
    It's a tough one. I have been trying to arrange pickup of a cheap acoustic, but the times the seller are available just don't work with when I am.

I am guilty of not replying in the last 36 hours but purely because I don't want to give him an empty promise.
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6843
    tFB Trader
    I've always been mega wary of Gumtree after my first experience of it when I was looking for a Hammond Organ, found a C3 in north London that seemed cheap so emailed the seller, various emails back and forth which seemed a bit sketchy on details, wanted paying by Western Union, so I asked to view it to which he replied that he worked away and would "drop it in the post" once I'd paid...
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hotpothotpot Frets: 846

That exact thing has happened twice in the last week or so with a guitar I have for sale on there, I reply yes I still have it, but no follow up email!

another one emailed me asking the same, I emailed back saying yes still have it. he emailed back saying ring me!!!

I emailed back saying I aint ringing anyone, use the bloody email.

I've had five responses for my Fender Deluxe - is is still availaable?

To each one I have said yes and call or text me on the given number for more info.

Further replies. None......
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    A lot of people live in their heads not the real world. They love to imagine buying something.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom