Major Yamaha SA2200 GAS

What's Hot

Comments

• AuldReekieAuldReekie Frets: 196
    57Deluxe said:
    /\ no, I only have an SG2k - and a copy of this pic...!

Here is the latest pic of ~my~  SG though...

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee301/snotmale/Things that make you go Ding/SuperChamp_YamahaSG20
    00s_zpszbu1vins.jpg

I used to have an SG2000, great guitar but found it just to heavy, weight wise..........I got mine because Bill Nelson used one at the time of purchase, let me guess.........were you influenced in any way by this as well????

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    I could be tempted to sell this for £1000 cash?
    But sounds like its the wrong colour ;)

• GassageGassage Frets: 30939

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7344
    edited May 2015
    @AuldReekie No. When I was working for Peter Gabriel back in 86/7 I had some spare dosh and took a trip down to Denmark St. I popped into Rosetti's when they were there and they had about a dozen of these SG2ks all on stands in middle of floor. Looked amazing! All Brown SB. I had an audition on one and was amazed at the variety of tones - having been a Strat only man for ages I thought was time I had a HumBucker solid, but, these also do Telecaster tones... a double plus!

The intention of the trip originally was for a Gibson 335 which WAS as a consequence of Bill Nelson having a 345, as was a mad BeBop fan from 73/4. The only 335 in Denmark St at that time was a walnut... also at that time too, I was a big CULT fan and had a notion I might get a white 335, custom finished with a white headstock! But, the SG2000s was too hard to ignore, so I got that. The 335 came 20 years later!

Glad I didn't pursue the white 335 thing now too...!

http://i60.tinypic.com/2hf1e0w.jpg

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

It's definitely brighter than my Tokai ES120 but close to the Orville ES335 I used to own. Oddly enough the Orville had a similarly slim neck compared to the Tokai's 50s profile, so maybe there's something in that. 

Obviously you've got some poky alnico V humbuckers and an ebony board whereas most 335 types I've played have had more traditionally "open" sounding PAF-clones and I've never played a 355 so can't comment on whether the ebony makes a huge difference.

I will buck the trend and say that I don't particularly like the split coil sound. The only split HB I've ever liked was in my PRS McCarty and that was a dark sounding pickup that seemed to make the split sound a bit more authentic and less shrill to my ears.

The good thing about the Yamaha pickups is that they respond really well to the volume control and the bright sound means there's plenty of clarity which helps clean things up really well. If money were no object, I'd love to hear some Imperials/Seth Lovers/Antiquities in it but I'm not sure it would sound any better, just a bit different.

I definitely wanted the violin burst but a brown burst came up for sale just down the road so I had the chance to play it before parting with the cash. This finish has really grown on me as it looks much better in the flesh - the brown/yellow transition being much more gradual than photos suggest.

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23031

Those Yamaha SAs are beautiful things.  I've never actually tried one and I'm not sure it would suit me if I did, but they're beautiful to look at.

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27655
    I'd like one as well, please.

Am I too late, or is there a queue I can join??
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27655
    How much is it not for sale for @Phil_aka_Pip ??
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    TTony said:
    How much is it not for sale for @Phil_aka_Pip ??
    The ES-175 of my choice + the ES-330 of my choice + another SA2200 of my choice to replace it. You can't afford it ;)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • TTony said:
    I'd like one as well, please.

Am I too late, or is there a queue I can join??
    I want one too now.  I had resolved not to let GAS strike till next year at least...
  • EdGripEdGrip Frets: 736
    So did I, @knuckleberryfinn. So did I.

• robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3050
    I know of two for sale - I'm saving up...

R.
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    I'm such a tease...
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    wow the action on that looks horrific...It's not at all like that
    edited May 2015
    Take a look through this webpage... discusses the SA models over time..

http://www.alston-family.co.uk/SA/indexsa.php
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Don't blame you for fancying a SA2200.
    To be fair, they piss all over most Gibson 335s.

Sorry to disagree. In the eighties I chose a Yamaha SA2000 over a Gibby 335 which I could have bought instead. I soon found the Yamaha just didn't sing like the 335. It was brighter which I couldn't dial out, didn't sustain as well, and just felt a bit characterless. Beautifully made, probably better than the Gibson, but that 335 had some mojo, and the Yamaha just didn't. I always regretted not getting that 335, and eventually sold the Yamaha and went through a series of 335's until I settled on the one I have now. Agreed, some 335's are really not very good, and I've owned a couple, but I wouldn't go back to the Yamaha. Just my experience.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Stock pickups?
    edited May 2015
    This might be of interest to... snapped from my 1986 catalogue

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/b6/b1/af/b6b1af3856a5ce8149deedb0508fef5a.jpg

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>