Major Yamaha SA2200 GAS

What's Hot

Comments

• ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    Ee bah gum, we've ad this discussion before. A 335 is different to an SA2200. Not even similar. Different. Maybe a 336 is closer to an SA2200 :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4924
    edited May 2015
    57Deluxe said:
    Take a look through this webpage... discusses the SA models over time..

http://www.alston-family.co.uk/SA/indexsa.php
    Wow @57Deluxe thanks very much for that link - I have a Yam SA1100 (bought new in the early 90's), and I've been looking for info all over the place.

SA1100 is less bling-y than SA2200 - dots, and chrome hardware.  Has the split humbuckers with push-push tone pots.  I'll stick a pic up when I find it...

*edit* Found it (please excuse the crap pic - old mobile camera!):

• EdGripEdGrip Frets: 736
    Great links, all!

I imagine you can get tonal duds and tonal crackers from one SA2200 to the next, just as you can with 335s and any other guitar made out of bits of wood stuck together. From what I gather, the stock pickups are a fair bit hotter than typical 335 pickups, so putting low-output pickups in might just take the corners off the sound - you would at least be removing one variable when comparing.
    The SA2200 are much more consistent than the Gibsons.
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2170
    I bid on a Yamaha SA years ago, I was outbid at the last moment. So I went for my Tokai instead. But I rate those SA's highly.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • BasherBasher Frets: 1206
    Must say that I don't find the pickups in my SA2200 to be that much hotter than a classic PAF. They're definitely a bit more powerful than some but don't sound "overwound" or "high output" in a bad way. 
    I did own an SA2100 a few years ago that I didn't like anything like as much as my 2200. The pickups in that seemed quite a bit hotter and I didn't like the sound overall.

Surprised to hear people saying that they find the Yamaha and ES335 to be very different. I guess everyone's experience is different but I do find them broadly similar. I'm not saying the Yamaha is an ES-killer and, if I had the money, I'd love a cherry ES345/355. I do find that it is in the same ballpark as the ES guitars I've tried. Maybe my ears are not that good. Probably explains a lot....  
    SA2200 hasn't got the honk and air of a typical Classic57 equipped 335. The SA2200's bridge pickup is more similar to the 498 in the bridge of a 345.
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    Those claiming the ES335 is different to the SA2200....can you explain how so ? Basically built to the same recipe right...same woods n scale length etc.
    edited May 2015
    True but then so are lots of other 335 style guitars by other makers - don't mean they all sound the same :)

I've got Tokai 138, 158, Gibson 345, 339, 336, and 335s style guitars from Collings, Ibanez, Taylor, Indie, Vintage, Cort, etc, plus SA2200 and a bunch of Gibson 335s. One recipe maybe but they all have a different voice. The closest matches to the Gibson 335s are the Tokais.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7344
    edited May 2015
    Here's a thing: The Pups on the SAs are same as on the SG2ks. When I was auditioning Gibson 335s in Andertons prior to getting one around 2007, ( when they had the little booths and usually filled with Blues jrs or Hot Rods) I would come home a little deflated I had not uncovered that crucuial 'Golden tone'. I would pick up my SG2000s and find it there!

I did later get a Gibson 335 and have to say if you want a natural drive tone out of it, then you got to work damned hard to get the tone sounding organic. Of course it does that STAX/MOTOWN sound great, but it is a fiddly and pernickety beast - no one setting does all... it only likes certain partnerships too...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Those claiming the ES335 is different to the SA2200....can you explain how so ? Basically built to the same recipe right...same woods n scale length etc.
    I have both (and a Tokai) so here's my 2p worth

Tone: SA2200 seems "brighter" than ES-335, this may be down to the ebony board. I haven't noticed much difference in the sustain.

Handling: SA2200 neck seems wider than ES-335, and probably a little slimmer from front to back as well.

Electrical: SA2200 produces slightly more o/p than ES-335. It also has coil-splits, which occasionally have their uses.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23036
    edited May 2015

What is the neck profile on these Yamaha SAs?  I'm assuming (in Gibson terms) more 60s than 50s?

• agibboagibbo Frets: 102
    I have two old Yamaha SA'S - a 1000, and an 800. The 1000 has an ebony board and sounds brighter, whilst the 800 has rosewood and definitely sounds more mellow and bluesy (I can't think of a better description). More Gibson like perhaps?

So maybe the tonal difference between a 335 and SA200 is based more on those materials than the pickups?

However both sound ace and I love them both :-)
    @BluesyDave - that's a beautiful guitar! Yeah, definitely gotta be tobacco-burst... ^_^
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4194
    Don't forget the SA2200 if replacing pickups, should  be F spaced,
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    But it doesn't actually matter imo
  • Van_HaydenVan_Hayden Frets: 437
    My old one is up for sale:

http://www.guitarcollective.co.uk/product/yamaha-sa-2000/

Very nice it was - juar never quite bonded with it!
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24843
    Just on the subject of whether they 'sound like a 335' - and I don't know whether they do or whether they don't as I've never played one - there is huge variations in tone between 335s from different eras.

In general, more modern ones tend to sound thicker and more 'solid' than older ones - probably because they tend to be quite heavily built. Vintage examples tend to sound very 'open' and surprisingly bright in comparison.
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 612

This cured my GAS for a semi last year....Ibanez AS93

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c243/Ian_Lea/Mobile Uploads/DSC_0552_zpsxxmgzwbw.jpg

Ridiculous value for money.

@Van_Hayden - so the SA2000 is the same beasr but without the flame maple? That's very interesting - I generally prefer a plain maple top to a flamed one. Not that I can afford it at the moment, but they seem to be asking quite a lot...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom