Major Yamaha SA2200 GAS

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• Van_HaydenVan_Hayden Frets: 437
    They're asking dealer price - I sold it for £850 to Adrian Ingram!

The SA2000s is one to look for with the solid top.

The SA2000 is basically the same but mine didn't have coil taps.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • lentolento Frets: 117

Have had 2 Historic 59 335's and my 2200 knocks spots off them for resonance and jangle. The Yamaha is definitely brighter, but I put that down to the ebony fingerboard. You'd find a 345 to be a better comparison to the 2200.

It's quite a shallow neck and the radius is flatter than a Gibson so it may feel a touch wider, but it is the same nut width.

I believe the Tokai 335's are slightly smaller in this ?

The Yamaha also stays in tune a lot better with the Gotoh machineheads as both the 335's Klusons were pretty awful.

Sound-wise I've always liked the 57 Classic pups but have no problems with the Yamaha Alnicos, although I don't find the split coil function as useful as it is on the SG's

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16138
    No.......the SA 2000 is the original 70s and 80s Guitar .........the SA 2200 IS THE REINCARNATION ( from 96 onwards or thereabouts)...........think of it as a re-issue .........in fact it is ,in my opinion, a different animal ........still wonderful build quality but with an emphasis on keeping up with the PRS,Gibson ETC trend for fancier tops ,flame veneer etc
    I have great and detailed experience of both ....the originals were designed to compete with legendary early 60s Gibsons whereas the later 2200 seems more of a cosmetic priority ...............they don't have the feel or mojo of the originals ( but still great ) 
     I find the earlier necks more comfortable,slightly deeper and not quite so flat on the back ..in fact the volute on the earlier guitars is slightly less defined as a result
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7344
    Not sure if this does anything for the cool factor...

http://mackenzie.chem.ox.ac.uk/images/people/Tilo_Zollitsch.jpg

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

Besides, it's foolish to imply a trend from a sample size of one. A quick Google would suggest that we SA2200 owners are a diverse bunch, as opposed to the badly-dressed, middle-aged, high-waisted, pleat-fronted chino hoiking males you might expect. 

...errr...
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23035
    ^ It's like the guitarist equivalent of the Top Gear Cool Wall.

Frosty.

• CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    I just remembered I put EMGs in mine once
    An 81 and an 84

What was I thinking ?
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7344
    must look out my old Guitarist review demo with Chris Vinnecombe or was it Anne Widdecombe, I am always getting them two mixed up...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • EdGripEdGrip Frets: 736
    Cheers for the tip, @jimmyguitar ! I'm keeping my buying urges at bay until I see how well I do from the next job, but from what's been said here I think an 80s SA2000 is just the thing for me.
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    edited June 2015
    agibbo said:
    I have two old Yamaha SA'S - a 1000, and an 800. The 1000 has an ebony board and sounds brighter, whilst the 800 has rosewood and definitely sounds more mellow and bluesy (I can't think of a better description). More Gibson like perhaps?

So maybe the tonal difference between a 335 and SA200 is based more on those materials than the pickups?

However both sound ace and I love them both :-)

On this youtube comparison they sound very very similar to me (yeah I know youtube compression n all that but even so!). I can see how maybe the Yamahas pups might be brighter and have more output (but that's an easy change) and the ebony board...well is that really that significant to the plugged in toanz ? I guess you would know but till you get the 2 guitars and have the same electronics in both there will be no 'scientific' conclusion....