NGD - Well yesterday was really. Ebony '57RI LPC content!

What's Hot

Comments

• NunogilbertoNunogilberto Frets: 1679
    Beast of a guitar!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3299
    ICBM said:
    Loobs said:
    Please don't put a fucking bigsby on it.
    Be warned that if you do fit one even using a Vibramate, it will still mark the finish. My friend just found that out on his 3-pickup 57RI… the finish is soft enough that just the pressure of the felt pads has left dulled imprints. Luckily the guitar was not even close to pristine anyway.
    Hhhmmm.... it is pretty clean this guitar other than one small indentation where a Bigsby would go, but I have to admit, I though a vibramate would stop any further marks.

Trotter said:
    Dibs!!!! :)

Great work man, it's a beaut
    Deal.
    :-)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72745
    Deijavoo said:
    Hhhmmm.... it is pretty clean this guitar other than one small indentation where a Bigsby would go, but I have to admit, I though a vibramate would stop any further marks.
    So did I. It was only on for about a month too.

It's a shame, since the Vibramate also gives a better set-up than screwing the Bigsby directly to the guitar, because the front roller is raised about 1/4" which lessens the string angle under it and over the saddles.

The Bigbsy also adds about a pound to an already heavy guitar...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

edited May 2015
    But it looks and sounds soooooo cool!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Ala 0:25

and sort of:

I would definitely want one too. Just be aware that it's a commitment and not as reversible as you may think.

I'm not sure if I'd want to use a Vibramate or not… I did prefer the setup with it, but it looked wrong somehow. In particular I didn't like the Bigbsy being set back about 1/8" due to the thickness of the endpin mounting plate - you wouldn't think such a small difference would be noticeable, but it is.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Food for thought mate. Thanks.
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    That is lovely. Enjoy! My mate Paul has a Cherry LP Custom from 2000. So they've always been on my "list "
  • redrighthandredrighthand Frets: 746
    Lovely! Here's another "reversible" way to fit a bigsby I recently came across - looks interesting, and an improvement on the vibramate in some ways. http://townerusa.com
  • andy1839andy1839 Frets: 2198
    That is a very sweet guitar. Always loved those RI customs. Green eyes over here.
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3654
    That is gorge!
    Lovely! Here's another "reversible" way to fit a bigsby I recently came across - looks interesting, and an improvement on the vibramate in some ways. http://townerusa.com
    Not bad, but you're totally relying on that one screw which holds the strap button on to take the whole tension of the strings. I know the 'hinge' aspect of the Bigsby reduces the force and it's mainly in shear, but the screw has to be relatively small by necessity or it won't go through the strap button. (Even the original Gibson one, which does take a larger one.) If something bad happens to the strap and the screw gets pulled out or snapped off, the Bigsby will fly off and probably cause a lot of damage to the top as the strings try to pull it under the tension bar.

The advantage of the Vibramate is that it puts most of the load on the stop tailpiece inserts, where it's meant to be.

What really baffles me is why Bigbsy have never made the proper solution to all this - a B7 that simply has two notches at the front to fit onto the tailpiece studs. That would remove any pressure from the top, any need to drill holes, and still leave the front end of the Bigsby height-adjustable for the best set-up.

Hhhmmm, I thought a Bigsby with vibramate was a done deal in my head. Maybe more thought needed.
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5078
    Excellent buy!  :)

Now if I could only find one of these weighing 9lbs or under...
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    Deijavoo said:
    Hhhmmm, I thought a Bigsby with vibramate was a done deal in my head.
    It still can be as long as you accept it's permanent or that you will have marks if you remove it. It still makes a better job than screwing the Bigsby directly to the guitar with the old tailpiece stud holes visible, I think. It also takes care of the ground connection, which is a problem with the traditional way of doing it.

Unfortunately I don't think it will fit if you don't use the endpin plate - the dimensions are very carefully worked out and the front end wouldn't line up with the stud mounts.

I guess I should see how much I "need" a Bigsby then.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31007
    Utterly awesome.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

Gassage said:
    Utterly awesome.

Cheers mate. Hence my lack of funds. :-)
  • geepers0677geepers0677 Frets: 119
    That is beautiful. Nice one.