NGD - Well yesterday was really. Ebony '57RI LPC content!

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3299
    To be honest, I'm now broke. Maybe in a year, so you have time dude.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    It should be easy to confirm from the pot codes if you want to.
    Not sure what I'm looking for but:

imageimageimage

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72743
    edited May 2015
    1998. Those aren't the modern CTS pots they use now, and also the caps are the small ceramic ones they used back then.

*Do not panic* about the ceramic caps :). No matter what you may read online

A '98 Historic '60 LP Jr was the test guitar when I A/B'd several different types of caps with a switch in the guitar so I could swap on the fly, and there was no difference between the original little cap and any of the posh "vintage type" ones, or even a real 60s 'Black Beauty'.

Personally I think these late 90s Historics are some of the very best guitars Gibson have ever made, I've never played one that was anything other than great.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Cool, all good to hear and thank you for your never ending wisdom.

I have to say, since I've got it I haven't jammed with it at full volume (I won't jam until I have straplocks on) but even just noodling at home it's unreal. I hope it's a keeper, as I think I'll only ever sell it if I hit financial problems.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72743
    Deijavoo said:
    I have to say, since I've got it I haven't jammed with it at full volume (I won't jam until I have straplocks on) but even just noodling at home it's unreal. I hope it's a keeper, as I think I'll only ever sell it if I hit financial problems.
    I genuinely think it will be a good investment and a future classic, too. Particularly as Gibson have both raised the price of a new Historic significantly, and stopped using real ebony fingerboards on the 'standard Custom' - that's bound to drive up the prices of Historics.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

It was in my mind, I know it shouldn't be. But a lightly aged one of these just now brand is going for £5399! Ridiculous tbh.
  • matonematone Frets: 211
    Loobs said:
    That is amazing. Please don't put a fucking bigsby on it.
    Have a bazillion wisdoms ! Bigsbys belong in the scrap bin and as for Floyds................
    Do you prefer Vibrolas?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited June 2015
    Well, jammed with it properly tonight at volume. I have a horrible suspicion that those pickups will have to come out. Just a bit too vintage sounding for me, and by jove, a fair weight to it.

Still sounded great, it just needs more low end response to my ears, my low Eb didn't ring out like I'm used to. Might jump up to 12s rather than my  usual 11s.
    http://www.peachguitars.com/guitars/pre-owned-guitars/gibson-custom-57-les-paul-custom-ebony-aged.htm

£4500 USED? For basically the same thing?

Bloody hell, if I was offered that I'd totally flip it as much as I really love the guitar.