Turning a profit on gear - Would you?

What's Hot
Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
I flat out refuse to make a profit from the classefieds here. If I got a deal, you'll get a deal.
But on Gumtree/eBay/facebook I call it fair game. For instance I just sold my Laney IRT Studio for £255 on Gumtree, I paid £245 4 months ago for it on eBay.
I'm aware there are dealers out there, but when that Feline Iceman went on ebay for about £200 and was then subsequently flipped on here for twice that or so because we know the value of the brand I was right pissed off I was.
'Awibble'
Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12534
    Wouldn't do it on here, I'd feel dirty afterwards. But yes, other places are fair game.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23780
    edited May 2015
    Why shouldn't you make a profit?  If you can pick up a bargain but someone else wants it enough to pay a bit more for it I see nothing at all wrong with that, either legally, ethically or morally.

It's a bit of a moot point though - I've sold scores of guitars and related stuff and I can count the number of times I've made a profit on the fingers of one hand.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 11reaction image Wisdom
  • DinosauriaDinosauria Frets: 67
    edited May 2015
    I pretty much do the same thing as the OP, I'll only ever buy a piece of gear for what I'm comfortable I can shift it for if I decide to sell it on later. I'm happy to sell on at the same deal, especially on forums/local music circles.

On Gumtree etc I tend to put them up at market price. That leaves room to manoeuvre if the buyer is a haggle monster or just a decent buyer who I'd like to cut a deal.

When it comes to gear buying, selling, trading I think what goes around comes around. If you're known as a gouger then no one will want to deal with you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    I never buy gear just to flip and make profit. I buy something if I like it and it's a good price, and the fact that I might be able to get my money back is a nice safety net.

I have made profits on selling guitars and amps but I've also made losses. I'd say overall I'm just above break even. I find that I t's actually quite hard to make any kind of meaningful profit, considering all the eBay and PayPal fees, petrol costs etc.
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 920
    Same here. I've done some good deals on here both buying and selling and wouldn't want to turn anyone over. eBay, etc. is a different matter. Over the years I've made good profits on some things and lost a few quid on others but it sells for what it sells for.
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    I wouldn't go out of my way to earn a profit, but I don't have any objection to those who do. 

A few years ago somebody found a bass going really cheap on eBay because the listing was filed in the wrong section. He then sold it for ten times the price, which was about the going rate. Some screamed that he was profiteering. But the reality is, he only found that bargain because he spent the time searching through eBay, or working to set up the right tools so he would get notified when bargains appeared. In short, he'd earnt it. But all the forum people could see where the two prices - what he'd paid, and what he sold it for - and they all cried foul.

Life's too short to get pissed off about the price something is sold for on a guitar forum.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    Oh, and if that guy with the bass had sold it at the price he'd paid, then it would have lowered the value for anyone else owning the same bass. People would say "well, the last one sold for £xx, so I'm not paying £xx0".
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    Strangley I've managed to turn a profit every time I sell an amp.both times on eBay.
    My Dark terror and IRT were the same RRP but I got £20 more for it when I sold it than I paid for the laney.
    I now sold the Laney for a tenner more than I paid. So I'm around £30 in the green on them both
    'Awibble'
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73155
    I don't see why you wouldn't. It depends a bit on how it's done though… I tend to feel it goes with the concept of 'community'.

Buy something here because you were the first to spot it, then flip it for double the money almost immediately? Not a very nice thing to do. We're supposed to be a community and the right thing would be to let the seller know they were giving it away.

Buy something that was slightly underpriced in good faith because you wanted to use it, decide that it wasn't for you and sell it for a small profit a while later? No problem, even if it was bought and sold on here. No-one is being ripped off or taken advantage of.

Buy something on Ebay or Gumtree from a seller you don't know then sell it here at a profit, to someone who really wants it but maybe didn't spot the original sale or doesn't like to buy from Ebay, where's the problem either?

Buy/sell at any amount of profit from/to people you don't know outside the forum? That's business. You don't owe anyone any moral duty to research prices for them. Fairly accurate pricing information is a few mouse clicks away, the same mouse clicks that let you advertise it online. It's not like in the old days of shops and magazine ads.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31252
    edited May 2015
    I have a rule. If I buy it on here, I always offer it back at the same price I paid. I respect the community and I don't believe in profiting from our goodwill.

As an example, I am SELLING THE HIWATT (honest).

£1600 to you lot, but £1750 on the Facebook classifieds. (incl cab)

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Gassage said:
    As an example, I am SELLING THE HIWATT (honest).

Who are you, and where's Gassage?

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Profit? Wassat??
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7966
    edited May 2015
    Do what you want and live with the consequences of your actions. Selling at a profit is often more faff than it is worth IME.
  • If you're the now owner of a piece of gear, it's yours to do whatever the hell you want with it in my opinion.

That being said, the majority of stuff goes for around what it's worth most of the time, and you'd have to scour the classifieds constantly looking for real bargains if you were serious about making a profit. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    I wouldn't sell anything for a profit on here but, if I had something that I had bought for a stupidly cheap price and knew I could make a profit, then I would sell it on eBay.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    bingefeller;643376" said:
    I wouldn't sell anything for a profit on here but, if I had something that I had bought for a stupidly cheap price and knew I could make a profit, then I would sell it on eBay.  
    I'd do the opposite. I'd sell it here and let it become a community deal.
    I got an ENGL 2x12 with V30's for £150 off here. Thats Crazy pricing. So if/when I sell, it'll go for the same figure on here.
    'Awibble'
  • Hertz32 said:
    bingefeller;643376" said:
    I'd do the opposite. I'd sell it here and let it become a community deal.
    I got an ENGL 2x12 with V30's for £150 off here. Thats Crazy pricing. So if/when I sell, it'll go for the same figure on here.

Ah, but what happens if somebody on here takes advantage of your generous deal and then decides to flip it themselves for a profit? Could easily happen.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31252
    I would point out that my goodwill stops short with @drew_fx

I uplift all prices by 80% for him.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

On here, sell at a bargain price, make profit from fleabay (or bumtree/TGP etc)

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Gassage said:
    I would point out that my goodwill stops short with @drew_fx

I uplift all prices by 80% for him.
    Good job I'm not in the market for ex-sportsmen who like to slurp schlong then innit?
    3reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom