Turning a profit on gear - Would you?

What's Hot

Comments

• Sarge said:
    I do it all the time, I'm no dealer by any stretch, I just enjoy trading up, if I didn't do it this way I wouldn't have the guitars I do and wouldn't have had the chance to play the wonderful guitars I've passed on.
    Generally I'll buy under value and sell for market or thereabouts, I wouldn't try buying market and hawking an OTT price above market value.
    Ive bought (from here too) guitars that I know we're bought for buttons and I paid market, I'm happy, seller is happy, what's the issue? :)

This. Wisdom awarded.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31252
    Drew_fx said:
    Gassage said:
    I would point out that my goodwill stops short with @drew_fx

I uplift all prices by 80% for him.
    Good job I'm not in the market for ex-sportsmen who like to slurp schlong then innit?

Equally a good job I have my contact lenses in and I can see your pics on Facebook...!

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16999
    Deadman said:
    I bought a Freshman acoustic for £150 off eBay cash converters. There wasn't even a picture in the listing but I knew it was a higher end model. Fast forward 2 years and I left it on auction, again on ebay, selling it for £380. What was I to do?
    Similar here.  I brought an original fender wide range for £100 off a forum,  A year or so later i needed some cash and it went on ebay 99p no reserve, and made £416.

I suppose i could have gone back to the original seller and offered him half the profits, but I didn't
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    If somebody really wanted my Heritage or Lowden enough to make a silly offer I'd consider it, but I have no intention of selling either.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stedsted Frets: 259
    I tend to list for what I bought for but I have to say, no one ever complains when people make a loss on gear, know what I mean?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2687
    On this forum I wouldn't as most of you guys know what stuff is worth. On Ebay I wouldn't mind if somebody wanted to pay over the odds, after all that's what Ebay is all about isn't it?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Gassage said:
    Drew_fx said:
    Gassage said:
    I would point out that my goodwill stops short with @drew_fx

I uplift all prices by 80% for him.
    Good job I'm not in the market for ex-sportsmen who like to slurp schlong then innit?

Equally a good job I have my contact lenses in and I can see your pics on Facebook...!

Take your contacts out, he gets better looking...... :D

Mind the same can be said for me....... :(

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DaleftyDalefty Frets: 509
    edited May 2015
    I'm pretty sure that most of the people who place equipment up for sale in the classifieds section are out to turn as large a profit as they think they can get away with. For me I think it's the worst parts of this forum and ruins what little community that this place is trying to build up, by all means allow people to have links to their eBay stores or actual web shops, but having a classified section is just inviting the likes of a certain photographer and scammers to join, and detracts from the community aspects of this place, especially since this place makes sweet F.A off of anything sold in the classifieds, the people who use the classifieds - and these users tend to rarely if ever post outside of the classifieds sections, need this forum for the free platform it offers them to hock their wares, where as this forum doesn't really need these members as they're basically leaches and contribute nothing to the forum outside of hocking their latest unwanted gadget/toy.

A mate of mine uses a forum that is dedicated to woodwind instruments, they require anyone who wants to use the classified sections of their forum to hit a minimum number of useful posts, something like 100 posts, they also charge they're sellers 10% of the sale price as a fee for using the classifieds and it works really well, they only get people who are really passionate about woodwind instruments to join, the money they raise from the sales in the classifieds not only covers the costs of running their site, but also the cost of purchasing community equipment, in this websites case it's mouth pieces that members get to use for two weeks for free to try out, before they post it on to the next member on the list who wants to try it out, and at the end of the year it is sold off to one of the members for 50% of it's brand new price, and a new mouthpiece is bought for the community to try - they have votes every year on which mouth pieces to buy they generally buy around a dozen community mouth pieces for the community to play with.

DaLefty
    Both dog and owner available for stud, please contact DaLefty if interested
    2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24880
    edited May 2015
    ^ If there are a few paragraphs offered for sale in the classifieds, they might be a worthwhile investment for you, DaLefty.

ARighty
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited May 2015
    ^ If there are a few paragraphs offered for sale in the classifieds, they might be a worthwhile investment for you, DaLefty.

ARighty

Just one of the reasons I hate the IPad, I swear there where paragraphs in there before I hit the post button, I'll,fix it when I get in front of a real computer tomorrow after I've been to the quacks.

DaLefty
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24880
    Dalefty;645044" said:
    Just one of the reasons I hate the IPad, I swear there where paragraphs in there before I hit the post button, I'll,fix it when I get in front of a real computer tomorrow after I've been to the quacks.

DaLefty
    Noworriessoundslikeagreatidea.

OneOfManyRighties
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6843
    tFB Trader
    Dalefty said:

ARighty

Just one of the reasons I hate the IPad, I swear there where paragraphs in there before I hit the post button, I'll,fix it when I get in front of a real computer tomorrow after I've been to the quacks. DaLefty
    Doctors open on a bank holiday round your way??....

Posh.
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LewLew Frets: 1657
    He's off to feed the ducks half a loaf of sliced white we aren't the 51st state quite yet ;-p
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarcookie1guitarcookie1 Frets: 467
    Dalefty said:

ARighty

Just one of the reasons I hate the IPad, I swear there where paragraphs in there before I hit the post button, I'll,fix it when I get in front of a real computer tomorrow after I've been to the quacks. DaLefty
    Click the page icon with the red <> in it before your start typing...

• DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2181
    As others have stated, if the equipment was from this forum and turned over for a sizeable profit elsewhere. Then I'd think the vast majority, wouldn't consider that cricket.
    It's an odd one though, I mean I'm sure we all hope to find some valuable item at a carboot sale or through gumtree. I've always thought if its too good to be true......

But say you found an original Klon through gumtree for £50, it was being sold on behalf of somebody who had recently passed away.....Would you offer the seller more money? Or grab it and run?
    It's never that clear cut, provided the gear wasn't stolen. You could meet the person and think they were a complete bell end. They could be arrogant and generally rude towards you.
    Or.....it could be a misguided sweet old lady.....Given normal circumstances when somebody is selling something, if they had acted like a fool or I didn't like them. I'd go elsewhere. But if they were an arrogant bellend, would you pass that opportunity by to teach them a lesson?

I've always been a bit soft, given the sweet old lady scenario hand on my heart. I would have to offer her more money. I've given gear away before, nothing massively expensive, but if i felt it was going to be of use or cheer somebody else up..Why not?
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
    edited May 2015
    miserneil said:
    Dalefty said:

ARighty

Doctors open on a bank holiday round your way??....

Posh.

Thanks fopr pointing out it was a bank holiday I wouldn't of found out until I had driven the 20 miles and gotten to the quacks offices that it was a bank holiday.

Dalefty said:

ARighty

Click the page icon with the red <> in it before your start typing...

Even better I'm giving it to the girlfriend when I buy myself an Asus Transformer or some other laptop in the next week or two, as my treat to myself for spending the weekend in Ireland with not just my girlfriend but her family as well, I can't stand the Ipad, it looks great, the idea is great, it's just not for me, I need a keyboard.

DaLefty
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2433
    Dalefty;645001" said:
    I'm pretty sure that most of the people who pliace equipment up for sale in the classifieds section are out to turn as large a profit as they think they can get away with.

For me I think it's the worst parts of this forum and ruins what little community that this place is trying to build up, by all means allow people to have links to their eBay stores or actual web shops, but having a classified section is just inviting the likes of a certain photographer and scammers to join, and detracts from the community aspects of this place, especially since this place makes sweet F.A off of anything sold in the classifieds, the people who use the classifieds - and these users tend to rarely if ever post outside of the classifieds sections, need this forum for the free platform it offers them to hock their wares, where as this forum doesn't really need these members as they're basically leaches and contribute nothing to the forum outside of hocking their latest unwanted gadget/toy.

A mate of mine uses a forum that is dedicated to woodwind instruments, they require anyone who wants to use the classified sections of their forum to hit a minimum number of useful posts, something like 100 posts, they also charge they're sellers 10% of the sale price as a fee for using the classifieds and it works really well, they only get people who are really passionate about woodwind instruments to join, the money they raise from the sales in the classifieds not only covers the costs of running their site, but also the cost of purchasing community equipment, in this websites case it's mouth pieces that members get to use for two weeks for free to try out, before they post it on to the next member on the list who wants to try it out, and at the end of the year it is sold off to one of the members for 50% of it's brand new price, and a new mouthpiece is bought for the community to try - they have votes every year on which mouth pieces to buy they generally buy around a dozen community mouth pieces for the community to play with.

DaLefty

I know I've not been a member here for very long, but what I have learned in that relatively short time is that DaLefty does talk some bollocks, no offence mate.
    I see this classifieds section as quite pivotal to the forum, guitarists want/need to sell their gear, and what better place than here where they know there's a discerning audience who can appreciate said gear, and as for charging 10% on sales..... Fuckoff!

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    The market dictates what items are worth. 

Short classified thread = item was priced to sell. Long classified thread = price was high seller asking too much £.

Everyone likes a bargain but everyone has bills to pay. Let the market decide what the item is worth.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GuitarMonkeyGuitarMonkey Frets: 1883
    The last guitar I bought through GumTree I actually did give the seller more than the asking price as I thought he was selling it too cheaply. :)
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    Buy something on here for £10 and get opportunity to sell it to a Gumtree buyer for £20. But suddenly some one on here has put up a WTB for the same thing, saying his budget is £15.

Do you
    a) Sell to Gumtree guy for £20, so £10 profit
    b) Sell to Fretboard guy for his £15 budget, £5 profit.
    c) Sell to Fretboard guy for £10, zero profit.

Then say your kid needs shoes for school. Does that alter your answer? (Think carefully because the answer to this one is the psychiatrists favourite :))