PRS s/h Prices?

What's Hot
IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6843
in Guitar tFB Trader
Having ALWAYS been a traditionalist with guitars - LP, Tele, Junior, 335 - I've recently found myself drawn towards PRS (perhaps it's an age thing...). 

Having never given them even a glance before, I don't know a great deal about the models etc but is it me or do they seem to be going pretty cheap on the s/h market at the moment?
http://www.ivisonguitars.com
(formerly miserneil)
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12059
    Always have been.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2756
    There are definitely some bargains to be had with used PRS but I'd say the same about Gibsons,   used prices haven't changed that much over the last 10 years imo.         What are you looking at getting?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6843
    tFB Trader
    John_P said:
    There are definitely some bargains to be had with used PRS but I'd say the same about Gibsons,   used prices haven't changed that much over the last 10 years imo.         What are you looking at getting?
    Nothing yet really, if I do, it'd probably be a single cut Gold Top with P90's - can't pull off the mega flame 'dentist' models ;-)

But of the couple I've recently tried, it does seem like you'd get a hell of a lot of guitar for your money s/h.
    (formerly miserneil)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    There's been a lot. Do you want hard tail or tremolo ? I've had 2 McCarty's and 2 Customs. The only thing that's a pain is I'd avoid the Winged tuners. But you won't get them on a singlecut.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    You do get a lot of guitar for your money.
    They're often described as sounding sterile but I don't get that at all. Maybe someone's playing can sound sterile but a guitar, I don't think so.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    edited May 2015
    PRS McCartys often go for £1000 and at that price they are truly excellent value for money.

Sell.you mine for £1100 :)
    tFB Trader
    jeztone2 said:
    There's been a lot. Do you want hard tail or tremolo ? I've had 2 McCarty's and 2 Customs. The only thing that's a pain is I'd avoid the Winged tuners. But you won't get them on a singlecut.
    Yes, it's the stop tail McCarty's that seem to be floating my boat currently.

Chalky said:
    PRS McCartys often go for £1000 and at that price they are truly excellent value for money.

Sell.you mine for £1100 :)
    Bloody hell, coming on here, trying to flip gear, making 10%....I'll give you £900! ;-)
    (formerly miserneil)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24877
    The McCarty is my favourite 2 HB solid - for around £1000, they are ridiculously good value.

I play mine more than any other electric I own - including a vintage Gibson 335.
  • xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    The sterile thing is rubbish, ignore that :-) the difference with PRS and the other big USA 4 is PRS are always refining and improving, there is no looking back but looking forward, the new generation pickups are the best pickups I have ever heard, the 57/08s are going for £150 each on the 2nd hand market which is testament to the sound.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TrotterTrotter Frets: 516

I'll give it a month before you move it on ;) 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Trotter said:

I'll give it a month before you move it on ;) 

Haha!.......yeah, you're probably right.... ;-)
    (formerly miserneil)
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4438
    mrchi said:
    The sterile thing is rubbish, ignore that :-) the difference with PRS and the other big USA 4 is PRS are always refining and improving, there is no looking back but looking forward, the new generation pickups are the best pickups I have ever heard, the 57/08s are going for £150 each on the 2nd hand market which is testament to the sound.

Wow, the price of the 57/08s coming down??
    I've heard the new pups sound amazing. Damn, should have waited eh ;)
    @thomasross20 the 2nd hand prices are still pretty sporadic, because you can't but them from prs you have to wait for someone to take them out of a guitar, so the prices remain silly for em... he he yeah should have waited they really are that good :-)
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7361
    anyone got the P90 McCarty?
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3421
    The 57/08s have been out a few years. Or was that the 59/09s? I have probably lost track.
    Since '08 and '09
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7966
    Thanks. I thought so.
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4438
    edited May 2015
    mrchi said:
    @thomasross20 the 2nd hand prices are still pretty sporadic, because you can't but them from prs you have to wait for someone to take them out of a guitar, so the prices remain silly for em... he he yeah should have waited they really are that good :-)
    Have you compared them to the models out from 2013+ ? 
    Man, I really want to try a new model just to hear the difference. 
    I prefer 57/08s to 59/09s.
    Just wondering how much better they sound. There will always be something better but by how much...
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3421
    thomasross20;646867" said:
    mrchi said:

Have you compared them to the models out from 2013+ ? Man, I really want to try a new model just to hear the difference. I prefer 57/08s to 59/09s.Just wondering how much better they sound. There will always be something better but by how much...
    I think buy new pickups they're comparing the 57/08s 59/09 53/10 etc against old HFS and dragon II pickups. You won't really hear my much difference between 2008 57/08s and some from a 2015 guitar.
    @thomasross20 shame you live so far away, I'll get some recording s done tho if you like.