PRS s/h Prices?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• johnonguitarjohnonguitar Frets: 1243
    My Custom 24 does my head in. I know there's a good guitar in there somewhere. Maybe I just don't like ceramic pickups
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Then again I like the Chopper T in my Tele
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    edited May 2015
    jeztone2 said:
     I'd avoid the Winged tuners. But you won't get them on a singlecut.
    Reason?  Have them on both my PRSs and never had any issue with them personally - but Id like to know what - if any - the issues are.

Are they easy to swop for the latest versions?  thought about it, but never seriously.

They are a direct replacement on a CU. I fitted mine in 10 mins. I've always found them fiddly on string changes. Whereas Phase II & Phase III tuners are a doddle. But if you can use them, more power to your elbow sir.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4438
    I'm seriously considering selling the second purple one I bought. There's nothing wrong with it.... but I've two of them and it's a lot of money... if I can get a decent price for it... I might reduce my electric count to just two. 
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7966
    edited May 2015
    My Custom 24 does my head in. I know there's a good guitar in there somewhere. Maybe I just don't like ceramic pickups
    Does it have the HFS/Vintage Bass set? I don't really rate it much for standard tuning, but the HFS works ok in lower tunings. The neck pickup is ok but way darker than the bridge pickup. It was probably exaggerated in my CU22 as the neck pickup would be in a different position to the 24 fret CU.

In my case I put in EMGs but I'm mostly a high gain player. I'd recommend trying something warmer in the bridge though if you want to try a replacement. @ICBM had good results with a Duncan CustomCustom in a Standard 22 which is an A2 pickup with a hotter than PAF wind. It should be warm and fat with decent output. Something along those lines could work well if you're finding it too aggressive or thin right now. I see no reason why it wouldn't also work well in a CU24. Or if you want even less output something along the lines of a warm PAF, or slightly overwound PAF should work quite well if the guitar sounds good acoustically. It will always sound a little thinner than for example a Les Paul hence why I'd suggest a warmer pickup, but really if you don't like the HFS you're not alone and changing it out for a warmer Alnico pickup could make a big difference.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73109
    jeztone2 said:
    They are a direct replacement on a CU. I fitted mine in 10 mins. I've always found them fiddly on string changes. Whereas Phase II & Phase III tuners are a doddle. But if you can use them, more power to your elbow sir.
    The Phase IIs are a direct fit for the second version of the wing tuners with the small M6 bodies, but not for the first version with the large ones and the shared G/D string screw. To replace the first version without drilling you need Schaller locking M6s, which are very similar in deign to the Phase IIs.

To me the wing tuners are one of the most brilliant parts of the original PRS design and to me they're extremely simple to use, but I do understand some people have trouble with them.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    guitarfishbay;648635" said:
    johnonguitar said:

Does it have the HFS/Vintage Bass set? I don't really rate it much for standard tuning, but the HFS works ok in lower tunings. The neck pickup is ok but way darker than the bridge pickup. It was probably exaggerated in my CU22 as the neck pickup would be in a different position to the 24 fret CU.

In my case I put in EMGs but I'm mostly a high gain player. I'd recommend trying something warmer in the bridge though if you want to try a replacement. @ICBM had good results with a Duncan CustomCustom in a Standard 22 which is an A2 pickup with a hotter than PAF wind. It should be warm and fat with decent output. Something along those lines could work well if you're finding it too aggressive or thin right now. I see no reason why it wouldn't also work well in a CU24. Or if you want even less output something along the lines of a warm PAF, or slightly overwound PAF should work quite well if the guitar sounds good acoustically. It will always sound a little thinner than for example a Les Paul hence why I'd suggest a warmer pickup, but really if you don't like the HFS you're not alone and changing it out for a warmer Alnico pickup could make a big difference.
    This is exactly what's going on. However I cut the treble bleed a couple of weeks ago (I've had it a couple of years) and running the volume at 8 helps a lot.

I'm not a high gain player but this is the only widdle stick in my arsenal so want to keep it high output. So was thinking about some Alnico Bareknuckle Nail Bombs or maybe the Rebel Yells.
    I'm just scared to spend the cash in case I still don't like it.

I know it won't sound like a Les Paul but I can't even get a decent vintage SG sound out if it!

Then again when Guthrie Govan had his he didn't change the pickups as far as I'm aware and he could get the tones.

I really need to dump the rotary switch as well but I again I'm reluctant incase it sucks anyway
  • paulmapp8306paulmapp8306 Frets: 854
    Dont know which version I have.  My guitars are a 96 CE22 and a 99 CU22 if that helps.

Ive never had an issue using them - in fact there the easiest tuners Ive ever had to deal with.  I guess there is a knack - as you have to get the notch for the string lined up - but thats not hard.   If theres no mechanical reason to change them - ie they work fine with no issues (breakages or tuning issues) then Ill not bother changing them.

• thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4438
    WorldGuitars give good sale prices but if you're not in the area you have to knock off £100 or whatever for shipping and hope it gets there in one piece.