ICBM said:
    Branshen said:
    Taylor swift over one d any day.
    She's getting better too.
    wat

she's getting way worse IMO :))
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    I never stopped liking Abba, either, ICBM!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7353
    I refuse to be hoodwinked and thus I sayeth it out load - I love only the Wrong Direction....
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

Been listening to her since 2009....most people have not even heard of her then. Love her to bits! And her music too. And she's a really really nice person to boot, the amount of personal stuff she does for her fans is unreal.

And she writes all her own music and plays the guitar. Unlike 1D.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • lustycourtierlustycourtier Frets: 3389

Great Pop, whats not to like. Same with Taylor. I still chuckle at a thread on the gear page once

'Why doesnr mTaylor Swift play Taylor Guitars?' 

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12055

Great Pop, whats not to like. Same with Taylor. I still chuckle at a thread on the gear page once

'Why doesnr mTaylor Swift play Taylor Guitars?' 

Lol, seriously? Her first guitar was a Koa 12 string, which she still uses on gigs. Talk about a starter guitar.....
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3702
    Can't stand any of that modern pop pony but fortunately I was blessed with three sons so it never came up.
    :)
  • MossMoss Frets: 2409
    erm...

Stop crying, start buying
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73077
    Some of them have co-writing credits on some of the songs too. Not sure how much of them they will have written, but enough to get a royalty from it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

edited June 2015
    Moss said:
    erm...

So I was bored and curious about the writing.....and looked on wikipedia and made a table.

And I also added up how many writers they worked with.

Taylor Swift - 17
    One Direction - ...I'll just list them...lol

Rami Yacoub
    Cark Falk
    Savan Kotcha
    Steve Mac
    AugustRigo
    Jamie Scott
    Matt Squire
    Kelly Clarkson
    Tom Meredith
    Shep Solomon
    Toby Gad
    Lindy Robbins
    Tom Fletcher
    Steve Robson
    Wayne Hector
    RedOne
    BeatGeek
    Jimmy Joker
    Teddy Sky
    Achraf Hannusi
    Alaina Beaton
    Paul Meehan
    Shellback
    Kristian Lundin
    Kristoffer Fogelmark
    Albin Nedler
    Ed Sheeran
    Fiona Bevan
    Julian Bunetta
    John Ryan
    Alan Grigg
    Sam Hollander
    Peter Svensson
    Lukasz Gottwald
    Henry Walter
    Danny Jones
    Dougie Toynter
    Robert Conin
    Alexander Horan
    Tebey Ottoh
    Tommy Lee James
    Peter Wallevik
    Theodore Geiger
    Jacknife Lee
    Gary Lightbody
    Ed Drewett
    Ruth-Anne Cunningham
    Ali Tamposi
    Oliver Frank
    S. Page Mehner
    Maureen McDonald
    Johan Carlsson
    2reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    You're even more of a geek than me :). If anything that's slightly more writing than I expected from them.

If you can be bothered, do the same for the Monkees ;). They were also much derided in their day for being a contrived 'band' with their own TV show marketing machine, but in the end they became a bit more respected and did write and play more of their own material. I'm not saying it's an exact comparison but it seems a reasonably fair one, to me.

You could say 1D have given a lot of work and a lot of money to a lot of songwriters and professional musicians in much the same way, too…

To be honest the main thing I don't like about them is Simon Cowell, but… whatever. There are probably worse people than him in the music industry.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27757
    RaymondLin;654526" said:
    Moss said:

RaymondLin said:

erm...

So I was bored and curious about the writing.....and looked on wikipedia and made a table.

And I also added up how many writers they worked with.

Taylor Swift - 17One Direction - ...I'll just list them...lol

Rami YacoubCark FalkSavan KotchaSteve MacAugustRigoJamie ScottMatt SquireKelly ClarksonTom MeredithShep SolomonToby GadLindy RobbinsTom FletcherSteve RobsonWayne HectorRedOneBeatGeekJimmy JokerTeddy SkyAchraf HannusiAlaina BeatonPaul MeehanShellbackKristian LundinKristoffer FogelmarkAlbin NedlerEd SheeranFiona BevanJulian BunettaJohn RyanAlan GriggSam HollanderPeter SvenssonLukasz GottwaldHenry WalterDanny JonesDougie ToynterRobert ConinAlexander HoranTebey OttohTommy Lee JamesPeter WallevikTheodore GeigerJacknife LeeGary LightbodyEd DrewettRuth-Anne CunninghamAli TamposiOliver FrankS. Page MehnerMaureen McDonaldJohan Carlsson
    Also would noting that 1D have done that in, what, 5 years? While Ms Swift has been writing and selling music for about 15...
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    It's a lot easier when people come to you with material and all you need to do is sing and with Cowell backing you. Taylor signed for Big Machine Records which is a nobody.
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Doesn't leave much room for the boys input, I'd have thought..
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2390
    It's a lot easier when people come to you with material and all you need to do is sing and with Cowell backing you. Taylor signed for Big Machine Records which is a nobody.
    Also I believe TS wrote for other people before she got famous, and was one of the youngest people hired as a songwriter...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taylor_Swift#2004.E2.80.9308:_Career_beginnings_and_Taylor_Swift

"...Swift became the youngest songwriter ever hired by the Sony/ATV Tree publishing house.[46]"
    Dave_Mc said:
    Also I believe TS wrote for other people before she got famous, and was one of the youngest people hired as a songwriter...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taylor_Swift#2004.E2.80.9308:_Career_beginnings_and_Taylor_Swift

"...Swift became the youngest songwriter ever hired by the Sony/ATV Tree publishing house.[46]"
    She did, and was on a "development deal" which she chose not to renew when she was 15 and went on her own.  Those are the same kind of deal those Disney kids are on and hoping to get picked up and get a record contract.  She then went to play in bars around Nashville before being spotted.

The caveat is that her dad put up $100k as capital into Big Machine to get it started, but then again, there are tones of artist with massive label back that don't last longer than 6 months before they disappear into the abyss.  

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    timmysoft said:
    You're so behind @ICBM ! The latest single is Bad Blood, another great pop track.

Hmmm. I've now heard this one, and sadly it's dire. Awful lyrics and pretty much the same as one of her previous ones… can't remember exactly which.

Style is still a great song though.

I skip bad blood every time it comes on the iPod. There are 10 other tracks that are better on the album.
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2390
    ICBM said:
    timmysoft said:
    You're so behind @ICBM ! The latest single is Bad Blood, another great pop track.

Hmmm. I've now heard this one, and sadly it's dire. Awful lyrics and pretty much the same as one of her previous ones… can't remember exactly which.

Style is still a great song though.
    all her new songs sound the same to me. she's started working with more and more professional songwriters (possibly also ones who work with other current pop stars) and is sounding more and more like generic modern pop (IMO). I dunno why either, I mean she wrote plenty of good songs herself.
  • imalrightjackimalrightjack Frets: 3860
    What I find amusing is that Britain's main country music magazine (Maverick) championed Taylor Swift as a 'country singer', which I don't believe she ever was in any credible way. I couldn't wrap my head around this at the time. And then she f***ed off to be a pop star.
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent