Reply if you love One Direction

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12055
    What I find amusing is that Britain's main country music magazine (Maverick) championed Taylor Swift as a 'country singer', which I don't believe she ever was in any credible way. I couldn't wrap my head around this at the time. And then she f***ed off to be a pop star.
    She started out more in country than pop but there always has hints of pop in her music.

Something like this

or

Even in the album before the current one, Red, which to me, more pop than country, it has a couple of songs which is more country than pop.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2390
    ^ yeah. I'm not much of a country fan and I like her earlier stuff. but i do hear a fair bit of country in there (but then again looking at my previous sentence I'm not sure if that proves my point or counts against it >:D<)
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12055
    edited June 2015
    Dave_Mc;657698" said:
    ^ yeah. I'm not much of a country fan and I like her earlier stuff. but i do hear a fair bit of country in there (but then again looking at my previous sentence I'm not sure if that proves my point or counts against it >:D
    I think her best song is call All Too Well (Red album) originally when written, she wrote it at like 9min or something, which is absurd for modern music, country or pop, so she enlisted help from Rose, a writer she worked with on Fearless and it got cut down to just over 5mins long. I think the New York Times call that her Purple Rain. That song isn't released as a single and not many live performance done outside her tour. The best thing about that song is the storytelling (which is the essence of country music) and how she can write a sentence and paint a picture in your mind, the line "dance around the kitchen in the refrigerator light" get you immediately there.  That sentence tells you the time of day it is, where they are, the general emotion around that moment, who where there.  All in 1 line of lyrics.

I feel that bit of magic is lost in her new album 1989. Her old songs used to be littered with lines like that, but not so much in 1989. It's a reason why I don't like Bad Blood, it's very 1 dimensional, both in medley and story. The song Clean is easily her best written song on the album.
  • xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    edited June 2015
    This is categorically the worst thread I have ever seen on TFB, you should all be ashamed  They're all shit Manufactured pop, designed for cash and cash only :D

The state of popular music is abysmal, all about looks, and short term fame. there will be no more bands like gnr zep, Black sabbath ever again, as no record company can take chances anymore. 

Horrible just horrible 
    :))
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73077
    mrchi said:
    This is categorically the worst thread I have ever seen on TFB, you should all be ashamed  They're all shit Manufactured pop, designed for cash and cash only :D
    What would you rather an 8-year-old girl got into - manufactured pop music, or Bratz?

mrchi said:
    The state of popular music is abysmal, all about looks, and short term fame
    Always was, from the 60s onwards and maybe even earlier. I think the musical standard is actually higher now than it has been at any time since then.

mrchi said:
    there will be no more bands like gnr zep, Black sabbath ever again, as no record company can take chances anymore.
    There will always be bands as long as rock music is popular, although they may not make it the traditional way via a major record label in future.

I could happily live in a world without "gnr" too…

;)

It's really interesting to listen to a *genuine* sample of 60s music, not simply the classics we all know and have lasted because they were good - which give you a distorted sense of the quality of music back then.

Some time ago I acquired a huge compilation set called "1000 Hits Of The 60s" which I think was chosen on the basis of the 100 biggest selling singles of each year. Of the 1000 songs, about 600 I had never knowingly heard before in my life and were without exception forgettable drivel (call these 'C'). About another 300 I think I had heard before, and were OK but not very memorable really (call these 'B'). The remaining roughly 100 were the classics ('A'). There was not one single record I had no knowledge of that was any good at all.

I bet you could do exactly the same with the 1000 Hits Of The 2010s in another 50 years and find about the same proportions. My guess would be that One Direction's singles would be all would be in the Bs, and if she's lucky Taylor Swift might have a couple of As.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2390
    edited June 2015

ICBM said:
    mrchi said:
    The state of popular music is abysmal, all about looks, and short term fame
    Always was, from the 60s onwards and maybe even earlier. I think the musical standard is actually higher now than it has been at any time since then.
    I dunno about since then (since I'm not old enough :D), but I'd definitely agree that, if anything, pop music now (by that I mean, er, last 5 years or so  >:D<) is better than it's been during the entire time I've been paying attention (20 years or so).

I love how the record companies say, "Illegally download and you'll get lower quality music." If anything, the quality of pop music has gone up (IMO), certainly compared with the most recent period of pop music just before file sharing started. I know correlation doesn't necessarily imply causation, but still. :D

Just to clarify, I don't illegally download. That doesn't mean I'm necessarily a fan of the record companies either.