Fake Vintage Gibson TV Yellow Junior on eBay

What's Hot

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72540
    edited May 2015
    The thickness of the Les Paul signature script is much thinner on the original too - something the Ebay one does have more or less right. (If anything it's actually *too* thin.)

Why someone would use the wrong decal - don't know, maybe they didn't look closely at an original! The same reason as they made the relic job look obviously fake…

I think the real question is whether the guitar (or at least 90% of it…) could possibly be an original '58. It's certain the finish isn't, but the way the listing has been written doesn't actually claim it is, just that the *guitar* is. Whether the seller knows exactly that and has been clever, or really believes the guitar to be all-original and has done it accidentally, I have no idea. Or maybe it's just a complete fake.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6841
    tFB Trader
    And of course, the MASSIVE elephant in the room is that if it IS a genuine vintage TV Model Gibson it should say TV MODEL and not JUNIOR under the Les Paul script.

http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    edited May 2015
    miserneil said:
    And of course, the MASSIVE elephant in the room is that if it IS a genuine vintage TV Model Gibson it should say TV MODEL and not JUNIOR under the Les Paul script.
    lol, yes :D.

I should have said earlier - my guess would be that if it is an original it started life as a cherry one, since TVs are much rarer and more valuable, so if you're going to refinish it you might as well cash in. And TV is much better for hiding repair work, although I agree it's still tricky.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• GuitarMonkeyGuitarMonkey Frets: 1883
    Have a wiz.
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    miserneil said:

I should have said earlier - my guess would be that if it is an original it started life as a cherry one, since TVs are much rarer and more valuable, so if you're going to refinish it you might as well cash in. And TV is much better for hiding repair work, although I agree it's still tricky.
    I'd disagree there i'm afraid chum. 

Remember that bizarre Pinky coloured CS DC Junior that went round the forum a while ago and eventually got re-fined in Pelham Blue?. That was a cherry that had been refined with a TV Yellow. The cherry pore filler stays in the wood (there's no way of getting it out unless you want to spent a month with a pin and a magnifying glass) and it eventually leaches into the new finish causing the pinkish hue. 

My guess, going on the re-fin angle, is that it's a standard satin model that has been re-fined as a Gloss TV.

If the cavity shot appears then we'll have more of an idea.
    (formerly miserneil)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Yes, I think you're right. My guess will be that you never get the cavity photos, since he already knows you think it's a fake. But we will wait and see...

• stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7159
    edited May 2015
    miserneil said:
    ICBM said:
    miserneil said:

I'd disagree there i'm afraid chum. 

Remember that bizarre Pinky coloured CS DC Junior that went round the forum a while ago and eventually got re-fined in Pelham Blue?. That was a cherry that had been refined with a TV Yellow. The cherry pore filler stays in the wood (there's no way of getting it out unless you want to spent a month with a pin and a magnifying glass) and it eventually leaches into the new finish causing the pinkish hue. 

My guess, going on the re-fin angle, is that it's a standard satin model that has been re-fined as a Gloss TV.

If the cavity shot appears then we'll have more of an idea.
    No it wasn't it was verified from Gibson USA Custom Shop as a one off special order when I contacted them. 
    Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 
    edited May 2015 tFB Trader
    @stonevibe fair enough my man, I stand corrected on that guitar but I have seen the cherry filler leaching a few times before, in fact @WezV posted this a while ago:

WezV said:
    you may also notice it changed from yellow to red - it was cherry red originally and the filler had started to bleed through the yellow

(formerly miserneil)
    miserneil said:
    Possibly. But if you were going to go to that trouble, why not get the decals right? The authentic ones are readily available, I have a set sat in front of me now.
    It wouldn't be a decal - the originals were silk-screened.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    miserneil said:
    Possibly. But if you were going to go to that trouble, why not get the decals right? The authentic ones are readily available, I have a set sat in front of me now.
    It wouldn't be a decal - the originals were silk-screened.
    That's true but unless it was a full scale replica/fake job then decals would be the most available/easiest option....that's why I said decals...ahem... :-\"  :^o ;-)
    (formerly miserneil)
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    Even George Gruhn makes mistakes, but he has seen about 500 more examples of everything than most of us have so he will not make many mistakes.

I started to doubt my own ability to id the original finish on (for example) a 50's GT when I suddenly remembered just how many GTs (in the UK)  were refinished in the early seventies because they were looking a bit worn.....! Those guitars must be somewhere. You cannot unrefin a guitar. So maybe I am an "expert" on knowing what the wear patterns are like on a 45 year old refin. Useful? Not much.
    This may explain why there are only a couple of people in the world that I trust 100% when it comes to old guitars.

• thermionicthermionic Frets: 9671
    What's with the black nut painted white?

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    I am wary with pictures but the serial number is screaming wrong even without the dash after the first digit.

• WezVWezV Frets: 16750
    miserneil said:
    @stonevibe fair enough my man, I stand corrected on that guitar but I have seen the cherry filler leaching a few times before, in fact @WezV posted this a while ago:

WezV said:
    you may also notice it changed from yellow to red - it was cherry red originally and the filler had started to bleed through the yellow

saved me posting that  :) 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23035
    edited May 2015
    What's with the black nut painted white?
    The eBay listing does say it has a graphite nut - I guess the white paint was just to make it look better.

• thermionicthermionic Frets: 9671
    I didn't spot that in the ad. Of course a graphite nut solves the tuning stability issues that LP Juniors are notorious for...
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TrotterTrotter Frets: 516
    Straight edged lines round the serial number indicate a taped off area to perhaps preserve an original serial number when refinishing was taking place? If that is the case it obviously didn't work as the current serial number is as fake as Jordan's tits
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Trotter said:
    Straight edged lines round the serial number indicate a taped off area to perhaps preserve an original serial number when refinishing was taking place?
    I think that's just checking.

Also noticeable on the back of the headstock is the almost complete absence of footprints from the original tuners - there are some faint ones where some may have been temporarily fitted, but there's no way that finish ever had a set of Kluson strips screwed down tight for any length of time. But we already know its a refin so no surprise there.

The seller now admits it's a refinish in the listing
    He's still trying to hedge his bets - "Has it been refinished? I can't say for sure".

To the seller, if you're reading this - be honest. It's obviously and provably refinished. Say so.

The question is about the authenticity of the guitar underneath it. Even if you "just play them", how long is it going to take to undo two screws on the back and four on the front, and take a couple of pictures of the control cavity and the tenon area? Those would answer a lot of questions.

The headstock is still questionable, but if you can show that the body and most of the neck are original, you've got a much better chance of convincing someone it's just had a repair.