GuitarGuitar Newcastle

What's Hot
thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
edited June 2015 in Guitar
Anybody been to the Newcastle store? They've quite a few Suhr Moderns with HEAVY frets I quite fancy trying. Costly, though.. 
Might get the train or drive down from Edinburgh on the Saturday..
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12932
    I have, but it was a few years ago now.

From memory they had quite a lot more than the Edinburgh store, but I'd probably still phone them before making the journey.
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
    The Glasgow store is also bigger. But the Newcastle store has several of the specific model I want to try. 
    Saying that... I really shouldn't be looking at new guitars!! Thanks!
  • darcymdarcym Frets: 1297
    if your serious could you not ask them to move them to a store closer to you ? they have been quite accommodating when I've been genuine about wanting to buy something but wanting to try it first.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • spacecadetspacecadet Frets: 671
    Glasgow is bigger and better but the staff in Newcastle are brilliant. John and George are old mates and really know their shit. Train is your best option though. Parking is a bitch near the shop.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3319
    edited June 2015
    I use Guitar Guitar in Epsom all the time and the guys and service there is first rate and they're very accommodating. As darcym says, and from my own experiences, they're normally quite happy to get something in from another store.
    Problem is there are quite a few guitars I want to try... otherwise I'd pay the deposit - which would lock me into buying a pedal at the least. I'm not 100% on buying - I just want to try for now so it's a bit of an ask. 

Train looks to cost £50-70 return (!!) which is why I thought maybe taking the car would be good. Was maybe going to take my purple PRS to get an idea for trade-in value (not that I'm definitely going to!). 

I like the Glasgow store but I got 15% off a PRS when I saw a similar one online and the guy made such a big deal about it I feel really awkward about ever going back. And fact is, other shops were find to haggle down to 15% discount on my other PRS so I don't know if it's a guitarguitar thing or just that sales guy (I do think GG try to keep prices at the higher end). 

From e-mails the staff in Newcastle do sound top notch. 
    The Epsom store looks to have the BEST stock... Is it a pretty big store? I must check if they have a virtual tour :)
    Bit far for me to go, though.
  • cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2567
    The Epsom store is huge.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3319
    Aye, the Epsom store is very big and open 7 days a week but a bit of a trek for you. I think it's the UKs largest music store.
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    I really should be buying shedloads more new guitars!! Thanks!

There, slight typo corrected.

:D

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

;D
    Going to have a good trawl through the Moderns in the Newcastle store online before I make my mind up about going. WOuld love to go to Epsom but yeah, quite a trek!
    Are you sure on that train price? That seems way too high.
    Girlfriend checked it - I can't confirm... but I think it's in the £50 range return. 

TBH I'm not SUHR if I'm going (lol)... I've already got the Pro S4 (at a great used price) and the new Moderns I'm looking at are over £3k and aren't that different to the S4. 
    According to national rail you could go this coming Saturday for £30 return, so long as you choose your trains wisely. You may want to look again :-)
    Oh! Well well... that might be a go-er. I was going to drive so I could take my PRS for potential valuing... but I might just go to try the Moderns. Close to £4k is a lot considering the second-hand values I'm seeing them go for.
    Hey, thanks!
  • hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2352
    I sense that this thread is nowhere near its end point ;-)
    Lol!! Oh man... I just don't know. There are several options:

- I keep the purple PRS due to rubbish trade-in values. It's not a bad guitar by any means - looks and feels great but admittedly similar to the orange one but not as good sounding (I prefer 57/08s - and I'm not about to swap pups). 

- I sell it and keep the cash to reduce my guitar count. 

- I sell it / trade in and look at something like a Suhr Modern or Tom Anderson which has HH or HSH but with the real quacky tones like I hear from the Suhr. 

Going by second hand values in general I'm loathe to consider trading in something I bought new for something else new...!
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    Just drive down. SatNav a car park, and saunter into town. Newcastle's not a sprawling city by any means.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • ModellistaModellista Frets: 2041
    Personally, I'd let the train take the strain. It's £35 return if you buy in advance - petrol and parking isn't going to be much cheaper than that, if at all, depending on what car you have.  The train journey (as you probably know) is beautiful, and you can have a beer on the way home.  The drive is a pain with all those speed cameras and loads of single-carriageway.  Guitar Guitar is two minutes' walk from the station.

If you do drive you can park in Dean Street which is about five minutes' walk away but personally it's a no-brainer if it's just you travelling.

I'll probably be passing the shop later if you need some info on what they've got...

• matt1973matt1973 Frets: 386
    That journey would cost £35 in petrol at least. Defo get the train if you're on your own. If you have kids, Alnwick castle is a good day out. 

GuitarGuitar do have a good stock of Suhrs. I'd say there was 10-12 last time I was in there.