GuitarGuitar Newcastle

What's Hot

Comments

• lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    Anyone else think his girlfriend's told him a high train price so he doesn't go down buying new gear ;) 

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • lloyd said:
    Anyone else think his girlfriend's told him a high train price so he doesn't go down buying new gear ;) 
    Ha!  Exactly what I thought.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2352
    I think we should all be assisting in answering the inevitable questions that @thomasross20 will pose, (given his indecision in prior threads)
    • Where is the cheapest petrol station close to his home?
    • Is it really the cheapest?
    • What's the best fare that he could manage on the train?
    • Is it worth buying a railcard and if so, how long would it take to make back the cost of it?
    • If taking the train, what beer should be purchased and is there a meal deal worth considering?
    • Should he take the PRS in a soft or hard case?
    • What colour Suhr/Anderson should be considered?
    • What's the best wood combination?
    • What's the best pickup combination?
    • Is the Blower Switch or Switcheroo worthwhile?
    • What's the best route to/from the railway station?
    • Is there anything else in Newcastle worth seeing on the trip?
    • Are the acoustic properties of GG in Newcastle adequate for determining the best choice of guitar when unplugged?
    • What amp should the guitars be played through?
    • What should the expected trade in value of the PRS be?
    ;-)

9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16299
    Kebabkid;656339" said:
    Aye, the Epsom store is very big and open 7 days a week but a bit of a trek for you. I think it's the UKs largest music store.
    seems to be the largest GG. I think PMT in Brum is the biggest instrument store but it's not mostly guitars.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
    Personally, I'd let the train take the strain. It's £35 return if you buy in advance - petrol and parking isn't going to be much cheaper than that, if at all, depending on what car you have.  The train journey (as you probably know) is beautiful, and you can have a beer on the way home.  The drive is a pain with all those speed cameras and loads of single-carriageway.  Guitar Guitar is two minutes' walk from the station.

If you do drive you can park in Dean Street which is about five minutes' walk away but personally it's a no-brainer if it's just you travelling.

I'll probably be passing the shop later if you need some info on what they've got...

I'm basically interested in their Suhr Moderns that have heavy frets (not jumbo!) and possibly carve top
    lloyd said:
    haha :D
    @hubobulous - lol!!!!!!! :p
    Man, I did a massive A/B/C of my 3 electrics today. In order of preference it's:
    1. Orange PRS with 57/08s 
    2. Suhr Pro S4
    3. Purple PRS with 59/09s

Have to say the PRS are killer distorted - just amazing - very throaty and alive. Clean, the Suhr is amaaaazing - the quack is so good. The orange PRS gets a good bit of quack in there but the purple one has much less. With the hot 59/09s I find it sound better with the tone rolled down. Options are stick with what I've got, trade in purple one for cash (and buy nothing), buy an amp (I hear you say) or try the Moderns. All fantastic guitars, though! Just wish the purple one had that bit more quack!
    Perhaps a Suhr Modern HSH with Mahogany body and bolt on neck will give you the distorted girth but also the great cleans. The new Thornbuckers are probably right up your street if you prefer the 57/08s
    edited June 2015
    Thornbuckers - will check those out (on Google in a minute!).
    Hmmm, so they're not TOO hot... interesting. 

I wonder how much pickup covers affect the sound, too..
    Hang on......you've discovered Google??
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited June 2015
    :p :p :)

While I think I'd like to go try them out... I think I may end up staying in. Use what I've got. Would take too much of a hit trading in a new guitar to buy another new one! Hell, the Pro S4 I have has everything except the bridge humbucker but the bridge with tone rolled down pretty much does the job. 
  • AndyJPAndyJP Frets: 220
    edited June 2015
    Yeah I'm Edinburgh based but been to the Newcastle store quite a bit.
    The Newcastle store is really good, as is Glasow.

The Edinburgh store has less of the high end stuff if that's what you're after.

The Newcastle store is right next to the central train station.  My advice is buy the ticket in advance and get the train.   1hr 35 mins.  Bish bash bosh :)

edited June 2015
    I was gonna take my purple PRS as possible trade-in incase I found an amazing guitar... hence maybe driving... 
    But I reckon I'd get much more selling private. 
    IF (big if!) I decided to sell (and I wouldn't buy another if I didn't sell).

-> Yeah if I go tomorrow it will be ~£40+ so might as well drive. 

• SargeSarge Frets: 2428
    Plus we have PMT just a few minutes walk from GG, and cash converters 2 mins from there :)
    You can also go by sweaty, cramped snotty chav kid filled coach for £15 ish return ;)
    No thanks lol.

PMT - will check that!
    Doubt CC will have a Suhr Modern lol
    Oh I dunno, they have a hohner jt60 in today! Anythings possible
    edited June 2015
    Think I'm going to pass on the 2hr 30m drive to Newcastle tomorrow (rather, today - it's 1am!). They may not have Moderns with heavy frets but the Glasgow store is closer (25 min drive) and has some killer Moderns all the same - so expensive, though... I seriously doubt I'm going to sell the purple PRS at such a loss and then buy a veeeery expensive Suhr - just not cost effective. Shame as this looks killer (!!):

Also discovered tonight the 59/09s sound so much better with the tone rolled back about halfway...
    Hell, maybe I should look at another car before another guitar.....!!
  • ModellistaModellista Frets: 2041
    Sarge;659654" said:
    Oh I dunno, they have a hohner jt60 in today! Anythings possible
    Thanks for the heads-up on this! Saw it on eBay but wanted to have a look in person. £90 in the shop. Needless to say I bought it. Needs a bit of TLC and the pots are crackly as a damp bonfire but it's a decently-made thing and a lot of guitar for the money.

Thought it best not to stroll into Guitar Guitar with a £90 fag ash special stuck under my arm but I'll try and get in there soon to have a gander at the moderns.