GuitarGuitar Newcastle

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• paulmapp8306paulmapp8306 Frets: 847
    Not suhr why you want quack from a PRS - thats not what there for.

I prefer the look of your purple PRS to the orange, which in my eyes is not particularly good.  If it were me in your shoes, and preferred the sound of the orange, Id swop PUs and sell the orange.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited June 2015
    In fact - after changing PUs in my PRSs - Id put HB sized P90s in the purple one and keep all 3.  SCs on the Suhr, HBs in the Orange and P90s in the Purple.  Easy swop back to original if you want to sell.

You can buy me a pint when the purple one is then your favoutie.

• thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
    edited June 2015
    Whaaaaa!! :D I love both the look and colour of the orange! It's easily my best guitar, and I also love the purple one. Glad to hear somebody else likes it!

So, update! Went to GG Glasgow. Tried 5 suhr moderns, prs p24, suhr tele, Gibson class 5 and '98.

I hate to say I never clicked with any of the moderns. Especially those with non standard or baked woods. Preferred lower output SSH to Aldrich pups. The carve on suhrs isn't as pronounced as prs and I wouldn't pay extra for that. It's ruled out moderns for me, sorry hubob! It was more to do with the feel of it rather than the sound. I felt the action was a bit high on them all and I never got the "wow" feel I might have expected.

The tele... I'm not keen on the shape of teles.

P24... Cool and played well.. But too many jack sockets and buttons!

Class 5 played the best, looked cool and was light for a Les Paul. '98 neck was too thick but I think sounded better than the class 5. Still, too many knobs on LPs and I don't like the headstock.

Might sound like tosh but my guitars really are amazing. They look good and sound great and play well. I really think I've got some diamond guitars. This trip was very informative....
    Maybe the guitars I tried (still good!) needed a personal tweak ... And maybe I'm talking tosh again but I think I was very lucky too as I bought the purple prs and pro s4 "blind" and they've turned out great. To be clear, the purple one is great... Maybe I should swap to 57/08s in it (uncovered? What effect does the cover have on tone)?
    Every guitar really is unique
    edited June 2015
    FYI purple one feels the best. It's "wood library" and I swear they put a layer of velvet over the neck...
  • hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2352
    Don't have to apologise!! I love them, they didn't work for you. I have no vested interest in converting people to Suhr. @RichardHomer will be your best bud forever now :-)

edited June 2015
    Lol!! :)
    I do love their Pro/Standard (strat-type) range, though. Those really work for me. 
    The Moderns I tried were (from memory):
    Guthrie Spec
    Basswood with SSH, SSV
    The orange one I linked to in this thread with roasted neck 
    I think a Koa one with Limba ebony fingerboard!?
    And maybe another, I forget... it had aldrich pups I think (too hot for me)
    -> They did sound good, though - certainly! But maybe not the massive difference I was hoping for - I think the Pro S4 since it has actual single coils does a REALLY good quack.

About the tops on Suhr/PRS... you really have to see them in the flesh in my opinion. Some looked great on the website but underwhelming in the store. And some that looked plain or garish online looked spectacular in the store (again, luckily mine were delivered and look great - and I mean seriously great lol). 

It's always informative to do this every now and then - who knows what the next best guitar for a person will be.... I can now stop staying up until midnight looking at Suhr Moderns lol...

I'm glad when Suhr made me a new neck I didn't get it baked - is it me or do the baked necks feel different - less "slidey" like normal maple? 
  • hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2352
    Roasted maple feels the same as normal to me.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72539
    FYI purple one feels the best.
    Then don't even consider selling it. You can always change the pickups, you can't change the wood.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Maybe I'm just being weird about roasted maple lol..
    ICBM - agree! Strangely my girlfriend and somebody off here think the purple one sounds best. She said it came through more, punchier!
  • PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2379
    Go try a DGT ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Ah noooooo!! Lol :D
    Do they come with..... satin necks!?
    Must admit while I'm sure the Newcastle shop is great I'm glad I didn't venture that far out. 
  • PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2379
    I'm sure if you spent enough you could have one with a satin neck, not something I miss though :)
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2428
    modellista;660327" said:
    [quote="Sarge;659654"]Oh I dunno, they have a hohner jt60 in today! Anythings possible
    Thanks for the heads-up on this! Saw it on eBay but wanted to have a look in person. £90 in the shop. Needless to say I bought it. Needs a bit of TLC and the pots are crackly as a damp bonfire but it's a decently-made thing and a lot of guitar for the money.

Thought it best not to stroll into Guitar Guitar with a £90 fag ash special stuck under my arm but I'll try and get in there soon to have a gander at the moderns.

[/quote]

No probs.
    I hope you got a few coins off the marked price? CC are always good for £15 at least, unless you dealt with the hard ass bitch of a manageress (blonde, chelsea face-lift, face like a bulldog locking piss off a nettle)?

I'd have had that if it had had the funky wiring.
    I like my modern (HSS+/SSV+ loaded)- BUT it is for a job.  The moderns seem to be a little more tight and toppy compared to the S series (and strats).  Doesnt sound as good as my PRS or Strat into a low or medium gain tone.  Put into a high gain one though and it sings. It cuts through without being shrill, has power in the low end and has very good string definition for the same reasons it seems a little clinical into low gain amps.

Pick guitars for you needs - not for any other reason.

• ModellistaModellista Frets: 2041
    Sarge;661112" said:

No probs.
    I hope you got a few coins off the marked price? CC are always good for £15 at least, unless you dealt with the hard ass bitch of a manageress (blonde, chelsea face-lift, face like a bulldog locking piss off a nettle)?

I'd have had that if it had had the funky wiring.
    Paid the sticker price, thought it was decent enough at that. Didn't meet the manageress, sounds like I dodged a bullet there! The young chap who served me was friendly enough. I had a couple of minutes play on it and at the till he said it was a change for someone to play something other than shredding. I imagine Cash Converters trying-out-a-guitar playing gets old pretty soon.

What makes you think it hasn't got the funky wiring (presume you mean the ATN system)? The tone pots do seem to have audible notches in them. Haven't opened it up yet though.
    Well, I'm only presuming here, I thought it had a multi switch or something, I noticed the notches when turning the tone pot but put it down to grotty pots! I hope I'm wrong though.
    Apologies for the thread derailment @thomasross
    No probs!
  • ModellistaModellista Frets: 2041
    Sarge said:
    Apologies for the thread derailment @thomasross
    Ditto.

Might as well carry on though... That JT60 is pretty darn good.  It cleaned up fine, the pots are quiet now, the fag ash has gone, and it plays really nicely.  It definitely has the ATN black box, which is fascinating to play.  When you turn the tone down, it can actually go to a brighter tone as it switches the ATN network.  For instance, to get the bridge pickup by itself you turn both tones down to half.  With the tone on full it activates bridge and centre, without having to move the selector switch.  This is going to take some getting used to, but really fun to play.  The genuine relic finish is superb as well!