Game of Thrones

What's Hot

Comments

• kennedydream1980kennedydream1980 Frets: 1165
    edited April 2019
    Snap said:

Just watched. I've got a good TV, set up properly on optimal calibration. The show is too flipping dark, so many parts where I sat there and could see virtually naff all. In the end, I darkened the room and it was a bit better.

At last, an episode that lived up to expectations. So far, S8 has been very dull and overly drawn out. At least this episode was better. Some good deaths, and a couple of surprises, not least the heartwood scene, which I wasn't expecting to play out like that. Not as good a battle as battle of the bastards though.

I think they will need to get the decorators into Winterfell though.

Alot of people are complaining on social media about how dark it was. It was difficult to see what was going on at times which was a bit disappointing. The end made up for it though.

I need to watch it again and adjust the brightness on my TV.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6268
    Snap said:

Just watched. I've got a good TV, set up properly on optimal calibration. The show is too flipping dark, so many parts where I sat there and could see virtually naff all. In the end, I darkened the room and it was a bit better.

At last, an episode that lived up to expectations. So far, S8 has been very dull and overly drawn out. At least this episode was better. Some good deaths, and a couple of surprises, not least the heartwood scene, which I wasn't expecting to play out like that. Not as good a battle as battle of the bastards though.

I think they will need to get the decorators into Winterfell though.

Alot of people are complaining on social media about how dark it was. It was difficult to see what was going on at times which was a bit disappointing. The end made up for it though.

I need to watch it again and adjust the brightness on my TV.

There is a trend for dark TV. Perhaps the makers think it's more authentic. It probably is, but we paying viewers are sitting in our cosy houses, not in chuffing darkened caves!

This episode was one of the worst I've seen for lighting though. You shouldn't be expected to alter your TV's settings to watch one episode. Daft.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    Schnozz said:
    munckee said:
    Schnozz said:
    Really? I think this season has been terrible so far.
    I think a little its suffering from Lost syndrome, not nearly as bad but the endy stuff could never be as clever as the potential in your mind.
    I think Jamie Lannister should have died when he charged that dragon, to shock the viewers and keep them guessing - For me that's where the series lost it's credibility.

I think series 8 has just been a lot of back-patting, reflection and this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bM15AF3H-xU 
    Whether they die or they miraculously don't, I guess it eats up the minutes if you don't have a book/script. 
    Agreed, S1-4 was epic, great writing and nobody had plot armour. S8 feels like they are wasting running time yet rushing simultaneously.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7710
    Seriously, try different telly presets - mine seems to have 4 and a couple were WAY clearer for this 
    Red ones are better. 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27692
    edited April 2019
    I also have a well-calibrated TV. I just closed the curtains, although we do admittedly have really good blackout curtains.

It's meant to be dark - that's the whole point. Its supposed to be confusing and claustrophobic.

I've been very impressed with this season after a weak S7. I was expecting this whole lot to just be a load of fighting but it's been far more than that.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6414
    TimmyO said:
    Seriously, try different telly presets - mine seems to have 4 and a couple were WAY clearer for this 
    That was a really good call, thanks.

Flippin' 'Eck I was knackered at the end.

And a cracking ending too !   Clearly the end of the next book, if he ever bothers ;)

Just wondering how/if they regroup from that to sort out Cersei.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 14007
    I thought it was brilliant. Didn't expect the ending, now we're in for a real battle that will push and test loyalties to their limits, I cannot wait for the next episode, I've not been excited like this for TV for a long while

edited April 2019
    I also have a well-calibrated TV. I just closed the curtains, although we do admittedly have really good blackout curtains.

It's meant to be dark - that's the whole point. Its supposed to be confusing and claustrophobic.

I've been very impressed with this season after a weak S7. I was expecting this whole lot to just be a load of fighting but it's been far more than that.
    I agree, it touched on the best WWII TV dramas like Band of Brothers, with smoky, confusing, dark, cloudy battlefields. It was grim at times and I didn't want to watch.

• DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2177
    edited April 2019
    I found it a bit of a clusterfuck to be honest. It reminded me in parts of worldwarz just floods of bodies. Not sure what the next couple of episodes will have in store. 
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
    edited April 2019
    The Ep 4 trailer I saw looks a lot brighter with scenes in King's Landing and a rampant Cersei spitting vitriol and venom. Have the northern allies got enough juice left in the tank?

• smudge_ladsmudge_lad Frets: 676
    Just finished watching it. So tense all the way through, edge of the seat for the full 80 mins! Adjusted my tv and was able to see everything ok.

Great ending! 
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7710
    Melissandre - apparently NOT just a dreary windbag 
    Red ones are better. 
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 5007
    I have to say I did forward fast through the battle scenes - just loads of little Gollums running around.
    Years of drooling and Jorah never did get to dip his willy in Dany. Waste of space.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Loved it, and watched it as I assume the creators thought I should; in the dark.

Despite seeing one spoiler earlier I was still unsure how that particular aspect would pan out, and pan out brilliantly it did. Bait and switch!
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4214
    I was really disappointed, what a mess of an episode :(
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12508
    Jesus, that was the most tense thing I’ve seen in ages. Switched the tv to dynamic mode, which meant we could see what was going on, but revealed quite how crappy our tv is. The clouds just looked like a massive bunch of artifacts. 
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12542
    Just watched it a second time and I like it more. Still how not to run a battle though. 
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2954
    That was just epic.  So intense.  Im going to have to go lie down in a darkened room with a camomile tea.

• rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1400
    Confused? I have lost a dragon in that punch up!
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024