When valve elitists make me nearly die laughing...

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    Deijavoo;657596" said:
    I remember watching Frederick Thordendal from Meshuggah describe his music once and he said something along the lines of "I dunno, it makes a sound like, dddunk, djent....."

Was kinda accurate, I love Meshuggah but hate that term now.
    Yeah I'm pretty sure it was Meshuggah who started that sound.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7834

Forge said:
    Facebook is littered with idiots and tone fundamentalists.
    just facebook?
    That's true.. I was trawling through amp reviews and came across a lovely comment on the lines of "people who modify blackface circuits with modern options should be rounded up and shot, it's sickening, they make me sick"

I mean seriously it's just an amp! Who cares so long as it sounds good. Too many people spend way too much time worrying about vintage models, authenticity and boutique parts, without actually stopping to listen about how the damn thing sounds.. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Have a wiz!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    I feel the same about vintage guitars. People tell me they're fantastic. I've gone into a shop and walked out with several thousand pounds worth of guitars in one visit. All modern ones because the vintage ones I tried were distinctly mediocre and seriously underwhelming.
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1793
    Hertz32 said:
    @headphones Sorry dude, rough evening. 
    I was hoping somone would pull me up on my BSc SSc Red Dwarf reference though :D
    I've just read through the thread and noticed that on your post - have a lol for a top reference!
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1793
    You could at least correct his language - valves over this side of the pond.  Tubes go in tyres and are useful for bouncing.

At a push you could head down the Thermionic Diode (etc) route too.

Headphones
    B Eng (hons), C Eng, MIET, MAPM.

Off topic briefly, but @Headphones do you find that any post you get from the IET they put the postnominals in the wrong order? (what you've put being the correct order) They always start mine with the CEng - they're the people who've defined the order but they can't even stick to it themselves, muppets.

Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 778
    Bucket said:
    Excuse my ignorance but WTF is a Djent guitarist?
    Djent - a very popular form of technical modern metal using lots of downtuned/7/8-string guitars, electronic/ambient elements, often solid-state or digital amps (Axe-FX etc) and a shitload of noise gates and compressors:

Here's some of what it sounds like:

Thanks for posting, that's good technique, I like it, but as usual with most rock instrumental music, there's not enough harmony/chord changes, so sounds very repetitive.  :)
    "Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    That just makes me feel really old...
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2390

Forge said:
    Facebook is littered with idiots and tone fundamentalists.
    just facebook?
    That's true.. I was trawling through amp reviews and came across a lovely comment on the lines of "people who modify blackface circuits with modern options should be rounded up and shot, it's sickening, they make me sick"

I mean seriously it's just an amp! Who cares so long as it sounds good. Too many people spend way too much time worrying about vintage models, authenticity and boutique parts, without actually stopping to listen about how the damn thing sounds.. 
    I agree, but at the same time if it's something vintage which is worth a lot of money, I'd always point out to someone who's considering mods that he/she will massively devalue the thing if those mods aren't reversible.
    Chalky said:
    I feel the same about vintage guitars. People tell me they're fantastic. I've gone into a shop and walked out with several thousand pounds worth of guitars in one visit. All modern ones because the vintage ones I tried were distinctly mediocre and seriously underwhelming.
    Not sure the judge would consider that a mitigating circumstance, really...
  • streethawkstreethawk Frets: 1635
    edited June 2015
    On a related note, and about 6 months late, I watched this Johnny Marr video the other day.

Reckons his fancy pedalboard sounds no different to his £300 Boss multipedal gizmo.

Although I assume he's playing it through a valve amp. :D

• DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2178
    But isn't the Peavey Valveking the King of valve amps?? :P

The comments sound like that of an insecure teenager.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    DrJazzTap said:

That's alright cos I AM an insecure teenager :D 
    'Awibble'
    Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 13050
    I really want to like Meshuggah but something puts me off. I think it's the vocals.

I suspect the Deftones have just ruined metal for me. They're so damn awesome that everyone else is just poor in comparison :-(
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    That Stonehead is great there's not many £400 amps, valve or otherwise could cover Djent, or classic rock and sound convincing at both - certainly not a valveking :)
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2178
    @hertz32 I didn't mean you bud!

I've just seen elitists and people become snotty about not using xyz guitar/amp etc. I'll be one of the first people to check out the blues cube when they hit the second hand market.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    edited June 2015
    I really want to like Meshuggah but something puts me off. I think it's the vocals.

I suspect the Deftones have just ruined metal for me. They're so damn awesome that everyone else is just poor in comparison :-(
    I agree wth you about Mehussugah's vocals. Great instrumentation but shitty vocals. 
  • DrJazzTap;658750" said:

It's amazing what marketing does.

I was chatting to some friends who play but are *not* gear heads, and one wants to buy a TSL. Nothing I said could persuade him to go for anything else (my suggestion was a jet city jca50), because they sound warmer and fatter because of the valves and it's really versatile because of the channels, and because it's a Marshall and they're the best amps you can buy.
  • HeadphonesHeadphones Frets: 1010
    BigMonka said:
    You could at least correct his language - valves over this side of the pond.  Tubes go in tyres and are useful for bouncing.

At a push you could head down the Thermionic Diode (etc) route too.

Headphones
    B Eng (hons), C Eng, MIET, MAPM.

Off topic briefly, but @Headphones do you find that any post you get from the IET they put the postnominals in the wrong order? (what you've put being the correct order) They always start mine with the CEng - they're the people who've defined the order but they can't even stick to it themselves, muppets.

Can't say I've noticed, but looking in my InBox I see they call me Mr Headphones there (well my real name in truth), with nothing else beyond a full stop.

Frankly I didn't know the order until a few weeks ago, when I had to look it up as I'd been told I was doing it wrong - that is CEng first!  It seemed logical to me as it was the most significant, so surely it must be first...

I don't use them normally, I find they get in the way of people talking freely,  only for specific things such as formal reports, reviews  - or the inevitable interview.  Or in this case on the forlorn hope of a wry smile from the context.

Different if I were on the consulting side of the world of course.