Second NGD in a week (I have a problem) - polar opposite to my Raygun DC Junior

What's Hot
BucketBucket Frets: 7751
edited June 2015 in Guitar
So here's the story. My beautiful Raygun arrived on Friday and is amazing, I love it. But on Saturday, my dad and I took a trip down to Andertons in Guildford because he was planning to buy a Rockett Archer, which he did. But while he was doing that, I went round all the electrics, pretty much having a quick unplugged spin on as many as I possibly could :D

I was very taken by the gorgeous USA Jackson DK1 they had, and I ended up plugging in a Prestige-series Ibanez RG655, which was absolutely wonderful and which I would probably have sold a kidney for. But I also had a quick go on another RG, a cheaper model but one that I thought to be quite remarkable... so I did some thinking, and only a couple of days ago did I hit upon the idea of trading in my seldom-used Ibanez 7-string for it. After some emails and a phonecall, the trade was arranged and I put down a 10% deposit of £33.90 on the guitar, because it's a discontinued model and this was the last one in the shop (their second-to-last having sold while I was corresponding with the shop!)

So my dad and I went down again today, this time accompanied by @Hertz32, and I gave them my 7-string, they gave me £120 for it and then I paid the remaining £187, and walked out of the shop with a box. Here is that box:

- "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    Here's the inside of the box:

So... what's inside the white sheet thing? Well, prepare to be amazed, stunned, or possibly just to laugh out loud, because it's bright red, it's sparkly, it's got a locking trem, and... well... let's say it's got a little bit of extra range:

Yep, that's THIRTY frets, the highest note of course now being a Bb (not sure what octave... 6 perhaps? Can someone clarify?) And you know what, access is brilliant. I've played one of these before and hated it, because the setup was pretty rubbish and it was difficult to play the highest notes, but this one's set up pretty nicely and it's a breeze to get up there. One of the best things is actually what it does for the access to the 19th-24th frets, which are usually super-cramped on normal 24-fret guitars but are easy to get to here.

4reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Insanely complicated-looking trem, but it has a feature to block it so it can only dive, which is a feature I intend to find and use pretty much exclusively, because that's how I prefer locking bridges. And those extra little holes? Those are to do with the active circuitry that's supposed to simulate a neck pickup, because obviously there's no space for an actual pickup :D

The neck is very thin, but still a little thicker than many other Ibanezes I've played. Very shreddable though, what else matters on this?

Playing-wise... it's just come out of the warehouse, it's got brand new strings that are still stretching in, so I'm leaving the nut unlocked and avoiding the trem until they're settled. Plays great out of the box though - nice low action, intonation's pretty good and it shreds like hell on wheels. If I was a twat, I'd say it plays like butter. ;)

Sound-wise, I haven't had much of a chance to get to grips with it because my sister's revising for A levels and goes mental when there's the slightest bit of noise, but from what I can gather so far - it's very high-gain and shouty (but what else could one reasonably expect). The neck pickup simulator's not bad either. I'm sure it'll work just fine. Dunno about replacing pickups because of all the complex circuitry, but if I can then I might slip some DiMarzios in at some point... not that the stock pickups won't do the job for now.

And just look at it, it's so sparkly:

So yeah... I really, really really do need to stop now. :D
    0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MrSwansonMrSwanson Frets: 456
    Seen those a couple of times and wondered who'd buy one ;)

Seriously though happy NGD! Whens the next demo gonna be out?
    View my trading feedback here: http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58681/
    MrSwanson said:
    Seen those a couple of times and wondered who'd buy one ;)

Seriously though happy NGD! Whens the next demo gonna be out?
    I'll do one soon.

And yes, it takes a special sort of person... I am that special sort of person who thinks the current craze for extended range guitars would be better if the range was extended in the other direction :D
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11619
    tFB Trader
    I'm sure there are players who are taking this model and dropping the tuning to B or drop A and the highest frets are sounding the same as a normal tuned guitar.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    Lush finish. No use at all to me, but lush finish.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • speshul91speshul91 Frets: 1397
    FelineGuitars;657123" said:
    I'm sure there are players who are taking this model and dropping the tuning to B or drop A and the highest frets are sounding the same as a normal tuned guitar.
    Don't tempt me, I'm saving up for a car, don't give me gas you bad bad man
  • markslade07markslade07 Frets: 836
    Bugger me! 30 frets! That's 27 more than I'd have any use for!
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Prefer the Raygun, but hngd, anyways!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

Bucket, you are forgiven for letting the green bastard go.

Nice work.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27139
    Well I lolled :p
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    mike_l;657211" said:
    Bucket, you are forgiven for letting the green bastard go.Nice work.
    Eh? Planet? On?
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    I admit I added a LOL, only due to me struggling with 10 frets let alone 30. HNGD though dude!
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Is that a Trailer Park Boys reference, Bucket?
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10308
    edited June 2015
    Ooops wrong thread :)
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    jd0272 said:
    mike_l;657211" said:
    Bucket, you are forgiven for letting the green bastard go.Nice work.
    Eh? Planet? On?

He selled his green bastard Jackson. I've forgiven his sin.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

You forgive too easily. (I know what He did do).
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7344
    do a clip of the DC if you could...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    That's really striking mate ... always fancied having a super extended dusty end myself (fnar fnar)! Love the finish. I'm so not a shredder myself ... but that's cool.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23009
    Gosh.  Well, it's not my cup of tea but it's certainly striking.  I had no idea Ibanez made such a thing.

Made me think of 1980s Washburns: