Anyone using 11s in standard tuning?

What's Hot

Comments

• GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7323
    I tried 11s on my tele and didn't get on with it. That may've been the tele, mind.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    GavHaus said:
    I tried 11s on my tele and didn't get on with it. That may've been the tele, mind.

Probably just the guitar I'd say.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • andy1839andy1839 Frets: 2213
    11's on my teles, 10-52 on everything else.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73076
    andy1839 said:
    Oddly I'm the exact opposite. I put 11-49 on more or less anything, but I think 10-52 suits a Tele like nothing else - easy country two-string bends at the top end and massive ringing power at the bottom.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• stickersticker Frets: 869
    I just moved to 11's on my Squier VM Jazzmaster and they really suit it .
  • andy1839andy1839 Frets: 2213
    edited June 2015
    ICBM said:
    andy1839 said:

Oddly I'm the exact opposite. I put 11-49 on more or less anything, but I think 10-52 suits a Tele like nothing else - easy country two-string bends at the top end and massive ringing power at the bottom.

That's why I put the 10-52's on everything, for that very reason, but someone mentioned 11's on a tele and I've found it wasn't really that noticeably different on the unwounds.

I think experimentation is key to find what works best for you.

• hotpothotpot Frets: 846
    I have rotosound reds 11's on a jazzmaster & they're superb.
  • darcymdarcym Frets: 1303

I use 11's on a few strats, they same to just work a bit better on a few strats, no idea why.

Like you I feel no difference between 10/11's on these guitars.

I use 11's on my 335's and 10's on pretty much everything else.

• bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    A few things I've noticed about putting on the 11s.  

Firstly there was no problems with the strings fitting in the nut.  I tightened the truss a bit before I put the strings on and the neck doesn't appear to have shifted so far.  My action still remains at 1.50mm across the board, which is what it was with 10s.  My intonation hasn't changed either, which I'm quite surprised about.  I'll check everything in a few days and see what the craic is.
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10340
    11s on everything!

has always been the case for 2 years+ now
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • IanSavageIanSavage Frets: 1319
    andy1839 said:
    ICBM said:
    andy1839 said:

That's why I put the 10-52's on everything, for that very reason, but someone mentioned 11's on a tele and I've found it wasn't really that noticeably different on the unwounds.

I think experimentation is key to find what works best for you.

This, in spades - I used to have 11s on Fender-scales and 12s on Gibson-scales, but when I actually did some proper A/Bing I found there was only a noticeable difference in teh tonez on the wound strings between 10s and 11s or 11s and 12s, and even then not a huge difference. Happily on Rotosound Blues (11-52) for everything these days.
  • BGGBGG Frets: 699
    I use 11's on my PRS DGT, it sounds so rich and full.
    #thebatesmotelband
  • ab2014ab2014 Frets: 89
    11's in standard electric 13's acoustic for at least 15 years though i'm sure my hands won't like me in another 15 years. Snap 9's by looking at them and vibrato goes out the window lol
  • SteveGVSteveGV Frets: 344
    I tried 11s a few years ago to see what it was like and never looked back. Use them on my LP, Strat and Tele in standard tuning, but I do use 11's on my acoustic as well....don't seem as hard on the tips after long periods of acoustic neglect!

**Signed up to reply to a few comments regarding the shop, had a look about....decided to stick around! Opinions are my own and do not represent the views of Guitar Village.**

steve@guitarvillage.com | www.guitarvillage.co.uk

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73076
    Same here usually, although I have 12s on one of them at the moment.

I use 11s on everything, basically! Even my 12-string which is always kept tuned down to D standard or sometimes C#.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7212
    I use 11s on my Floyd Rose.

Guitar Bomb & Nembrini Audio Summer Giveaway 
  • No lighter than tens on a 25.5 inch scale - I play lots of funk and having a bit of fight is useful for muted strums - less accidental notes!
  • maw4neumaw4neu Frets: 569
    Ernie Ball 11's on my Tele . . Twangtastic . . . and Martin 12's on the Acoustics . . . Lovely
    Id just like to point out that, despite all the video and DNA evidence, it genuinely wasn't me, your Honour  ! 

• TrotterTrotter Frets: 516
    11's on all of my guitars except my r9 which for some reason HATES them! Honestly I've never experienced a guitar that could change so much for the worse with just a set of strings. Luckily it's incredible on 10's :)
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    10s on my solid bodies and 12s on the Heritage. 12s or 13s on acoustics.