Anyone using 11s in standard tuning?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4253
    11-56's here on a 24.75" scale - I'm a messy/aggressive player and looser strings just end up buzzing, plus they feel like toys. I don't really play any lead at all though, so I don't really notice any added difficulty for bends etc.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2178
    11's on everything. I buy in bulk
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • KKJaleKKJale Frets: 983
    Nickel 10s on the Tele, 11's on the Gibson 330. Like a dream on that guitar. Used them for 15 years.

I was in GAK once and asked for a pack, and the guy declared with an air of absolute authority, "Tens. You need tens on a 330." Then he tried to sell me on stainless. Then he tried to persuade me to change brands. Insane. I felt I was on some hidden camera guitar shop show. 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73076
    Coda insisted on setting my PRS Standard up with 10s when I bought it, even though I asked for 11s. The only reason I can think of is that they may have not wanted to file the nut grooves. I fitted it with 11s immediately... just a waste of a set of strings.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• CatthanCatthan Frets: 371
    Thinking of top-wrapping 11s on my LP; std tuning.
    I might fit them std tuned to the tele  too now that i think about it as I don't really care about the twang; more interested in the idea of doing jazz with it.
    With the 10s it feels like a shredder gtr currently.. 

I like them tuned to Eb on strats but don't want to have to rethink the board and I don't think the resulting richer sound will sit well with the already dense band mix. After my left wrist injury tho I haven't felt like I'd be able to bend them yet if I tuned them std.. 

The reason I like them is 'cause how they fill to my picking hand which likes a bit of fight.
    Specially for jazz; My semi is fitted with flat 12s