NGD - What would you do?

What's Hot

Comments

• jimmyguitarjimmyguitar Frets: 2474
    If it were just the heel break I'd probably decide to keep it with the 5% refund but the neck lacquer and missing parts turns this into a harder decision. Almost impossible to get my money back should I decide to sell, I'd probably ask £1300 ish in this condition. A tailpiece from this year costs a fortune as they are burst-era correct and the knobs are £120 ish. The pickguard would be impossible to source. But it sounds lovely and looks fine, the repairs aren't ugly.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    If it were in a shop I still think they'd be asking more than I paid though...
    Gonna get my money back from EBay by starting a claim, decided it's not on.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    Good idea - it sounds like the guy is a liar and deserves everything he gets on this one
  • ronnybronnyb Frets: 1747
    Something like that, repairs etc would taint the whole thing for me and I'd want my money back.
    Indeed - whether it was bought for below the going rate or not, its still a lot of cash to be dropping for something you're not completely happy and jazzed with
  • GuitarZeroGuitarZero Frets: 254
    Gonna get my money back from EBay by starting a claim, decided it's not on.
    Good plan.  I wouldn't be able to keep it if I were in the same position, I think some of my desire for the guitar would be lost once I'd received it in that state.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • albanovalbanov Frets: 55
    There was one of these on UK eBay earlier in the year - headstock edge repair but otherwise ok - that didn't sell at £1700 or thereabouts iirc - might be worth a look in the completed listings? Was tempted myself but I'd only just bought one of the Gibson built reissues at the time. Lovely guitars.
    Seller insisting its not a repaired wood crack, just a lacquer crack! Have sent this, had to arse around on Photoshop all morning! Uploaded with Imgupr
    If he wants to play silly buggers just open an ebay or paypal dispute if you havent already
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    Good luck. Time to sit back and let due process take its course now. Don't think you have much to be concerned about in that regard.
  • xchrisvxchrisv Frets: 573
    I'm sure you'll be fine, eBay offers buyers much greater protection than it does sellers these days. Very cool guitar though...
  • lustycourtierlustycourtier Frets: 3340
    Who knows how the market will be when you come to sell a damaged repaired guitar? I wounldnt keep. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72542
    If the seller has any sense he will now increase the offer of compensation, rather than have to pay for and risk the return shipping, then re-sell the guitar with a provable trail of mis-description. The question is how much would he have to offer for you to change you mind…

I would definitely still keep it if you can get it at a price you're happy with. A break like this is not unusual on these guitars (or SGs with the same type of construction) and if it's been repaired solidly really isn't an issue other than to future pricing, and even that less than you may think - *un*broken ones cannot get any more common.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • johnonguitarjohnonguitar Frets: 1243
    Yeah, I'd keep the guitar and work out a decent price. I think you could end up with a good bit of money back in your pocket unexpectedly and still have a beezin guitar
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7063
    tFB Trader
    I'd probably ask £1300 ish in this condition. 
    Then you shouldn't pay any more than that. Sounds about right to me. Although these are rare, I don't think they are particularly sought after.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    I wouldn't mind one, I've always liked the Wilshires but I'd want a fair bit of discount to make up for the misleading description.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7344
    edited June 2015
    send it to:

A) Ray Gunn Relics
    or
    B) Hutchinson

for a makeover...

http://www.typolondon.com/2011/img/game/24638_IMG_0433.JPG

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24843
    edited June 2015
    I have to be honest - the price of vintage guitars always amazes me - but I'm truly astonished if one of these is worth so much.

I don't doubt they are good guitars - but I wouldn't have thought one to be such a rock-solid investment that you'd need to accept one that has had a major structural repair and a partial refinish.

It's clear from your photographs that it has been materially misdescribed my the seller. I'd want to get rid and get my money back.

I accept I'm out of step with others - but I'd be gob-smacked if a clean, unmodified one of those is worth over £2000. I certainly wouldn't take a punt on one in that condition being readily saleable at sensible money.