NGD - What would you do?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• FiftyshadesofjayFiftyshadesofjay Frets: 1428
    edited June 2015
    I'd argue that the going rate for a particular guitar is what people are actually paying for it in an actual sale, rather than what's in a guide book.

In that case, as it's not described correctly, I'd feel I'd paid over the odds if it was me. I think you're doing the right thing in opening a dispute.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • streethawkstreethawk Frets: 1631
    "I started buying and selling electric guitars far in '78, when I was very young (as you, if I well understood), and I've played probably more than 200 Gibson, Guild and Gretsch (these are my favourite brands). I experienced a lot about the possible issues of a vintage axe and I learned a lot from the luthiers that I asked for repairs or changes or some else over last 37 years.
    Still my position is that this instruments does not have had any "real repairs" because neck and headstock has never broken or cracked, but finishing fixing only on the painting and lacquer as collectors usually accept on a 52 years old guitars with no loss of value.

You probably already know that the market value is 3100 to 3900 USD (2800 to 3500 EUR) as fixed on The Official Vintage Guitar Price Guide , 2015 edition, page 61 (http://www.vintageguitar.com/price-guide/). So you paid a bit less than the minimum (2713 EUR + shipment).

After that, I prefer to lose some money but to gain a guitar friend and I offer to you 5% refund (140 EUR) as per friendship due to the fact you are not fully satisfied. Same situation happened to me many times, and always I negotiated some adjustment (buying a guitar "from remote" always mean some risk).

Then, if you are a player I'm sure you will appreciate that this guitar plays perfectly; if you are a collector or a trader you can put it immediately for sale (I received many contacts in a 3 days only auction !) and for sure you will sale in a very brief time.

Else you can choose the legal way, and I'll must do the same"

He still denies its a break, he says it's a cosmetic touch-up.
    Lol. Nice try 'friend'.

Wee in the case before you return it.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GruGru Frets: 339
    BloodEagle;661218" said:
    If he wants to play silly buggers just open an ebay or paypal dispute if you havent already
    I guess the seller accepts returns?

If you have a partial refund which covers getting the guitar tidied up and are happy, then great.

Any doubt at all, get a refund and send it back

• jimmyguitarjimmyguitar Frets: 2474
    Gru said:
    BloodEagle;661218" said:
    If he wants to play silly buggers just open an ebay or paypal dispute if you havent already

If you have a partial refund which covers getting the guitar tidied up and are happy, then great.

it's going back for sure. The listing was a 'no returns' listing but if it arrives not as described I am protected by Ebays money back guarantee. 

As far as value goes, I figured as Epiphone were made alongside Gibson in the early 60's (and the build quality and workmanship the exact same)  this was a good opportunity to get what is essentially a '62 les Paul jr with a different body shape and headstock logo for a decent price.
  • GruGru Frets: 339
    edited June 2015
    jimmyguitar;662010" said:
    Gru said:

BloodEagle;661218" said:If he wants to play silly buggers just open an ebay or paypal dispute if you havent already

it's going back for sure. The listing was a 'no returns' listing but if it arrives not as described I am protected by Ebays money back guarantee. 

I don't imagine you would want this, but I am sure there are cases reported, where sellers didn't have do send the item back due to seller trying to excercise the 'no return' policy and still got the refund.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16299
    It's a pickle.

I did see someone in a pub blues band using one of these ( not a reissue, I know) which sounded great as I remember it. One on my lotto win list.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • jimmyguitarjimmyguitar Frets: 2474
    The seller has caved and accepted a return thankfully, it looked for a while like it might be a drawn out process as he still says it's not a heel break! So £2000 in the GAS fund hopefully, I'll rest easy when it gets back to him with headstock intact!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • marantz1300marantz1300 Frets: 3107
     I just looked at the asking prices for these on E Bay.
    If it felt and sounded great I would have kept it and played it
  • johnonguitarjohnonguitar Frets: 1243
    jimmyguitar;662731" said:
    The seller has caved and accepted a return thankfully, it looked for a while like it might be a drawn out process as he still says it's not a heel break! So £2000 in the GAS fund hopefully, I'll rest easy when it gets back to him with headstock intact!
    £2k of Fano