Thinline project

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3128

WezV;678392" said:
    either a stanley knife or razor blade - whatever is closest
    Gots me a stanley knife. Shortest setting is a bit short, next shortest is a bit long but... I reckon I should be okay if I'm careful. I might try to make something to help butt it against the guitar for the perfect length. 
    If I use a stanley knife blade for this kind of job, I just use the blade - not the handle.  I hold it between thumb and first finger of both hands for maximum control. 

BTW - the body on your flik.kr shot above looks great...are you taking all this off again??? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16956
    and a vid

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Andyjr1515;690444" said:
    ThePrettyDamned said:

WezV;678392" said:either a stanley knife or razor blade - whatever is closest

Gots me a stanley knife. Shortest setting is a bit short, next shortest is a bit long but... I reckon I should be okay if I'm careful. I might try to make something to help butt it against the guitar for the perfect length. If I use a stanley knife blade for this kind of job, I just use the blade - not the handle.  I hold it between thumb and first finger of both hands for maximum control. 

BTW - the body on your flik.kr shot above looks great...are you taking all this off again??? 
    Probably got to... I'll try to get away with it, but to be honest I doubt I'll fully colour match when remixing the colour - the top doesn't quite have a perfect match to the back and sides...

And I want it perfect. I'll give it thought, but it'll probably all be removed and started from scratch.
    WezV;690452" said:
    and a vid
    Perfect! Thanks guys. Gawd knows how I'd cope.

• WezVWezV Frets: 16956
    he does make it look easy, really it is, although you don't need to go as quick as he does.  I have seen vids of the women above scraping the binding too, and they do it much quicker than tom murphy shows... also, the one i saw scraped the inside line first, whereas tom works inwards and does the sharp line last
  • WezV;690474" said:
    he does make it look easy, really it is, although you don't need to go as quick as he does.  I have seen vids of the women above scraping the binding too, and they do it much quicker than tom murphy shows... also, the one i saw scraped the inside line first, whereas tom works inwards and does the sharp line last
    I'll definitely do it very slow! I have got quite a good technique on it, I just had a practice. It stutters a bit when it gets to dinged spots but bar that... Should be fine.
  • Calling @wezv @andyjr1515 I'm going to start stripping this morning, but was wondering about the best way to sand the inside edge of the f hole? I could do it by hand but will take an age, I was thinking of scraping the finish off with a knife first, then sanding? Or do you use a dremel with a small sand bit?
    Calling @wezv @andyjr1515 I'm going to start stripping this morning, but was wondering about the best way to sand the inside edge of the f hole? I could do it by hand but will take an age, I was thinking of scraping the finish off with a knife first, then sanding? Or do you use a dremel with a small sand bit?

@wezv will know better than me, but I would have thought scrape and sand. Dremel is, IMO, too risky
  • Andyjr1515;691955" said:
    ThePrettyDamned said:

Calling @wezv @andyjr1515 I'm going to start stripping this morning, but was wondering about the best way to sand the inside edge of the f hole? I could do it by hand but will take an age, I was thinking of scraping the finish off with a knife first, then sanding? Or do you use a dremel with a small sand bit?

@wezv will know better than me, but I would have thought scrape and sand. Dremel is, IMO, too risky
    Yeah, I was a bit worried about losing the shape of it.

I'll scrape it first anyway, just remove most of the finish, sanding will take a while but be worth it.

I don't know how to finish the f hole. I'm considering trying a different finish style - I love wudtone but I'm considering rattle can nitro. Stupid weather for it anyway, but maybe that can wait a bit - I need to strip the thing first.

What do you use to sand the inside of the cutaways? They are, by far, the most annoying bit. I use a mouse to strip the front, back and most of the sides but the cutaways are awkward!

Apologies for silly questions.
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2433
    You could try acetone for the cutaways, not sure what the Wudtone product is, but acetone removes Tru Oil no problem, try a jaycloth with a couple of drops on.
    For the cutaways, I use a bit of old broomstick with sandpaper wrapped round it.
  • I'll give it a go boss, but it says it's a curing product - suggests it's not a solvent based one. I'll see how it fares though!

I've started the back with my mini mouse and it's taking a while... Considering getting a better sander, seeing as I actually use this a lot and pads are small and wear out fast. It's useful for the sides but back and front take ages...

Any suggestions? Do I want orbital, random or a random orbital? Or are they all overkill?
    Andyjr1515;692086" said:
    For the cutaways, I use a bit of old broomstick with sandpaper wrapped round it.
    That's my usual way. Takes a long time, but I should imagine it could be the best method. Stripping wudtone takes a while, though, sinks right into the grain so any way that speeds this up is a bonus!
  • ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7507
    edited July 2015
    Accidentally double posted.
  • Can we see the finished product? :)
  • ddlooping;893951" said:
    Can we see the finished product? :)
    Haha! Bloody hell, forgot about this.

I'll see if I can remember to get a photo :)
  • GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2357
    tFB Trader
    If anyone fancies building one of these Thin Line Telecasters I have a couple coming up for sale very soon I will post some pictures in a couple of days. 

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/