What age does a guitar become vintage

What's Hot

Comments

• timhuliotimhulio Frets: 1286
    tFB Trader
    MattFGBI said:
    I think it's probably 70's and older. You don't really see any reissues from the 80's!
    Reissue this already!

2reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    timhulio said:
    A 1973 Les Paul Deluxe is a vintage guitar because a) OLD and b) THIS GUY

You are right.
    As I am not Tom Petty i will back down.

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26731
    I thought it was when TGP says so...?
    <space for hire>
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11961
    I thought that "vintage" just means "I am charging more than the price a second hand instrument should cost, but you'll pay it because they are in short supply, and might be cooler in some way"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • IanSavageIanSavage Frets: 1319
    mrchi said:
    For me I only class a guitar as vintage at 35 years but that's just me
    Fuck, I'm almost vintage myself :( 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3991
    50s or 60s is what I immediately think of.
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    timhulio said:
    MattFGBI said:
    I think it's probably 70's and older. You don't really see any reissues from the 80's!
    Reissue this already!

[Performer]
    Yes. Do what this man says.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • citizen68citizen68 Frets: 172
    cj73;666665" said:
    Awesome…my RG will be vintage in 2 years….
    Hmmm - my RG is 28 - does that count?
    Seemed like a good idea.....

• NeilNeil Frets: 3637
    Skarloey said:
    I like the simpler use of the term as used in the wine world. Am I right in saying that, with wine, 'vintage' might have connotations of 'old' if it's a bottle from a while back, but it mainly means 'this wine is from a year declared very good for its type'. 2006 was declared a vintage year in Bordeaux for instance.

I think when it comes to flogging guitars, 'vintage' is too often indiscriminately thrown around as an epithet applied to various stuff, some of which is old, rare and good and a lot of which is rubbish.

Exactly right.

The term was originally an appellation for wine but has been bandied around so often in the guitar world it has no meaning.

No one talks of a vintage Marlin do they and yet they must be around thirty years old now?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72560
    Neil said:
    No one talks of a vintage Marlin do they and yet they must be around thirty years old now?
    It will happen sooner or later, in the same way as 60s and 70s cheap crap is now called "vintage".

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7344
    Vintage is a ratio dependent upon your age...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    A vintage car is 1919 to 1930 as I understand it. Not very helpful in guitar terms but the point is, I think, that represents the transition from defining what a car is ( so, not including early experimentation) to the point where mass production was established. In electric guitar terms that's mid 50's up to what ? Early 70's I think - by which point guitars coming out of the US, far East and Europe had become roughly generic. 

I think, say, 1954 to 1974 would cover the introduction, manufacture (and reintroduction) of most standard electric guitar shapes ( Strat, tele, Les Paul , V, explorer, SG, 335, Rickies, precision, jazz) and their establishment as the basis of what was coming out of factories. Alternative shapes designed in Japan or Europe having to a large extent been killed off by then. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • ChuckManualChuckManual Frets: 692
    edited June 2015
    The problem is the term itself.  '59 Les Pauls were deemed "vintage" in the mid-70's when they were only 15 years old, or so ...and that definition simply cannot be the case today.  For instance; my 1998 Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 is NOT vintage - that's just laughable.

The comic book industry has "ages" to describe the different eras of production;

The Golden Age - late 1930's to mid 50's.
    The Silver Age - mid 50's to early 70's.
    The Bronze Age - early 70's to mid 80's.
    The Modern Age - mid 80's to now.

There's also a sort of pre-Golden age, to cover everything that happened before comic-buying exploded in popularity with Superman and Batman in 1938/39 - and the ages keep growing, of course.  I remember when the mere idea of a Bronze Age was deemed utterly ridiculous, but it's definitely here now ...and the Copper Age must surely be on its way.

Perhaps the guitar community could adopt something similar?

...plus - think of the entertainment value we'd get out of the arguments discussions of what goes where!
    Not much of the gear, even less idea.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11468
    Whatever the correct dictionary definition is, to some extent I think we tend to use it in the guitar world when something has gone up in value and maybe become collectable.  That's not purely an age thing though.

An 85 Les Paul is nothing special and you could buy one for less than you would pay for a new one .  An 85 PRS will probably cost 3 times the cost of a new one.  I'm not certain that I'd call the PRS Vintage though.

I think the wine argument about things being declared vintage because it is a good year has some bearing.  Should something as horrible as a late 70's Strat ever be called vintage?  Or the Martin purists will look down on anything between 68 (or thereabouts - I may be a year out) and 88 because the bridge plate is made from the wrong material.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17663
    edited June 2015 tFB Trader
    Vintage means the people who lusted after them as teenagers are now in their 30s-40s and can drop some serious cash on them. 

Plenty of stuff from the 90's is vintage.

Think about the:
    Charvel Surfcaster
    Dod Meatbox
    Akai Deep Impact 
    Tele Plus

When I first started playing guitar all the overpriced reissues and stuff seemed to be about Hank Marvin, then it all went Clapton, then it was all about Slash and now we're seeing Jonny Marr, Kurt Cobain, J Mascis, Chris Cornell guitars it's all about the generation with the cash.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    Since ebay, vintage means about as much as "rare" "collectable" "sought after" "shabby chic" and a lot of other words that basically mean "Junk".
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1783
    Vintage means the people who lusted after them as teenagers are now in their 30s-40s and can drop some serious cash on them. 

That's certainly the deal with (modern) classic cars, all the things like Novas, 205GTI and Williams Clios are becoming collectible because they were the cars which were just out of reach for the people who were teenagers at the time but are now earning good money.
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17663
    edited June 2015 tFB Trader
    BigMonka said:

That's certainly the deal with (modern) classic cars, all the things like Novas, 205GTI and Williams Clios are becoming collectible because they were the cars which were just out of reach for the people who were teenagers at the time but are now earning good money.
    That's it. 

Anything that teenage boys have pictures of on their bedroom wall will become collectable in about 15 years. 

In my case that means Yasmine Bleeth has just become collectable :D
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PlukkyPlukky Frets: 282
    I subscribe to the "golden age" theory.

So *if* they float your boat, I see no problem with the following being considered vintage in years to come:

Dan Smith Strats
    '85 PRSs
    Early 90's Fender Custom Shop
    etc

But there has to be some implied quality alongside the age...
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    don't know about the others.. but for Fenders I'd always thought of vintage as being "pre-CBS"
    play every note as if it were your first
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom