Line 6 Helix

What's Hot

Comments

• CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    edited July 2016
    here

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    @cabicular thanks ever so much, I'll give that a try tomorrow.  What are you doing with the other two parallel EQ blocks just to the right of the one highlighted?
    The one directly to the right of the highlighted one is a 10 band eq just in case I feel like I want to scoop a bit of midrange out (eg if I'm at home at lower volumes or playing through different cabs)
    the one in front of the cabs is redundant. It was just an eq I was experimenting with to save me flipping back and forth to the global eq. I leave the global eq off if I possibly can and only enable it if I need to adjust the eq across all my patches (usually for different cabs or funny room). I only apply the global eq to the 1/4 inch the rest can be sorted by the PA eq
    Everything after the amp block is stereo
    A quick rundown
    1. Klon low gain high volume always on (no fs assigned)
    2. Pitch shift set to octave up on a momentary switch
    3. Octave down mix 50/50
    4.script phase
    5.loop for Marvel FX or Gunshot or KOT whatever I have in their for my low gain crunch
    6 and 7 tube screamer and OCD switched together. My Heavier rock tone
    8 SLO clean (my core amp. I don't use a dirty amp but j might change that with the modded 2204)
    9 redundanct chorus (really should delete that)
    Path 2
    1 Stereo Chorus
    2 Gray Flanger
    3 Stereo delay at 380 and 800 (mix from 20 to 50 controlled by exp3)
    4 ducking reverb
    5 looper (note before the split so appears on both backline and PA)
    6 split and various EQ blocks
    7 dual cab (I think I just have 2 1x12 80s) this goes straight to the PA as a miced up can would and is EQd appropriately 

This is is an early version of that setup
    That is going into the FX loop of a two rock jet and recorded via the iPhone mic (hence the compression)
    @cabicular. Many thanks :). My Helix now sounds great through both FRFR and in to my FX return.  I was previously messing on with a parametric EQ, the High-low cut seems to do the job a lot better.  Also set my low cut to 100hz which takes the boom out of certain settings.  I'm a happy chap!

The snapshots feature is great, I could now happily do a gig with just the 2204, however I think I'll use a bit more variety, there's a lot of very good models on there :)
    Superb, glad to hear it 
  • johnonguitarjohnonguitar Frets: 1243
    Cabicular said:
    ...because you never see a guitarist that plays louder than everyone else?
    Aw yeah... But they usually grow out of it by he time they're 19. Drummers are the scourge of the earth. 
    We've experienced the subtleties of the same drummer I think ..
    my current one is great but I've been playing with him for 25 years (it's a long solo). We have a lot of dynamics and interaction during solos and as long as he can hear me he'll react appropriately
    Even the gig I was doing last night I had guitar going direct into the PA but the onstage sound was a Marshall 9100 into a pair of orange 1x12s either side of the stage. Stereo is great and it gives Marky the Bass player a cab next to him to keep him right when he's sliding up and down trying to find the key
    You need Valve Power (tm) to punch above a drummer
    solid state doesn't have the dynamics or the kind of punch to get over a drummer. It's a flat response which is why it always sounds great in the bedroom then disappears on stage
    i even tried one of them new fanged Yamaha stereo thr amps and it was the same problem
    sounded great at home then either disappeared or totally swamped everything .. Nothing in between

Lol yeah... I've lost a few high frequencies due to his subtleties. There's a well known drummer in Scotland that has all the "good gigs" that once said to me that he tried to play so that you could record his kit with one overhead. So controlling the cymbals etc. That always stuck in my head.Dude always sounds great and there's always space dynamically. Too many drummers whack their ride like it's their floor tom
    Malky?
    Cabicular said:
    Malky?
    Ross
    Don't know him .. I don't move in the same circles apparently ;)
    Had a tiring day with the Helix ;). While there's great sounds in there, it's certainly harder to eek them out than with an amp and a few pedals, after a while everything sounds the same.

One thing I've noticed is that my 'stage' sound through my amp and cab had loads less bottom end than my JTM45, using a 10 band eq to tweak that, leaving my DI sound as-is.  Think I'm getting there though.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited July 2016

Added a Xotic RC Scott Henderson to the board before this weekends gigs. Yup I think that's it done guy. It's a pretty great pedal. Just been leaving it on all the time with my Tele... Which seems to have replaced the R8 as my go to guitar at moment, man its turned into a monster with the bridge and pickup change. 

I also have have an iLoud at the moment and trying to decide whether to keep it. It sounds GREAT. I'll probably keep for using with the Helix alone. Just a shame that it turns out the TRRS headphone jack on my MacBook seems to be a bit faulty and way to noisy to really use with the inbuilt iRig as I also purchased S-Gear for a portable practice option
    edited July 2016
    Hiya big ugly copper Xotic pedal *waves*

ps. Even though it's been gigged a couple times this weekend nothing stuck down yet in case anyone's OCD is tingling
    edited July 2016
    Double 
    Thought about adding a few of my favourite drives to the helix, normally use a Xotic EP to fatten up my Tele, and a Box od Rock for a lot of my rhythm sounds but I can get close enough with the built in effects so decided to keep it simple.  For the moment :)
    John_A said:
    Thought about adding a few of my favourite drives to the helix, normally use a Xotic EP to fatten up my Tele, and a Box od Rock for a lot of my rhythm sounds but I can get close enough with the built in effects so decided to keep it simple.  For the moment :)
    To be honest I wouldn't have bothered adding any pedals if I had bought it after the 2.0 update BUT I had to put it on a board anyway so I might as well stick on a few favourite toys :)
    As good a reason as any ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom