Line 6 Helix

What's Hot

Comments

• DanRDanR Frets: 1041
    markblack said:
    Just an FYI - posted this in the FX section but might be more use in here I guess.

My padded cover just arrived from www.hotcovers.co.uk

Under £25 delivered for a custom, padded cover that's a great fit (still have everything plugged into the back) and really well made. Mine is canvas rather than vinyl.

Not the most exciting pic  but you get the idea.

Time to get the bank card out.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    markblack said:
    Just an FYI - posted this in the FX section but might be more use in here I guess.

My padded cover just arrived from www.hotcovers.co.uk

Under £25 delivered for a custom (you need to contact them as it's not on their site), padded cover that's a great fit (still have everything plugged into the back) and really well made. Mine is canvas rather than vinyl.

Not the most exciting pic  but you get the idea.

Can they do a white one? I reckon the tone would be a bit brighter.
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    You should see the state of mine already
    its got dirt beer splashes etc
    it spends most of its time on the floor in manky pubs
    occassioanly I give it a wipe with a cloth  :)
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10340
    Cabicular said:
    You should see the state of mine already
    its got dirt beer splashes etc
    it spends most of its time on the floor in manky pubs
    occassioanly I give it a wipe with a cloth  :)
    What about your helix?
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    It's even worse!
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Pwalo said:

This may be old news to some but there's a guy on the Line 6 Helix forum called Fremen selling a set of 175 patches for the V2.01. I was sceptical having been down this road with Glenn DeLaunes sets on the HD500 and being very disappointed. When other people started raving about them I went and bought a set from his website and loaded them up this afternoon and oh my lordy.

After trying for weeks of fiddling and almost getting one good tone I'm now awash with superb patches everywhere. I'm going to spend some time reverse engineering them to see what it is that he does differently, but if the Helix came with a few of these as presets the thing would go ballistic.

Best $49 ever. Also came with a folder full of matching IR's which I think may have been the missing piece in my puzzle. 

Just been listening to these, just goes to show what a really good player with a good set of ears and know how can do.  Although I love my helix, I will admit that there are a good few Axefx demos around that made me go 'wow'   After listening to these, I don't think there's anything to choose between the two, in the right hands they both sound stunning!  

was looking at a thread on the gear page and I think Line 6 gave him a Helix as he's got a bit of a reputation for getting great sounds out of different modellers, and if that's true it was a wise choice, pro standard players will have to sit up and take notice of the Helix, and all of the Axe fx Vs Helix nonsense will have to stop, not that it will ;)
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7826
    Agree. If you know you are doing all of them can sound great. You just have to choose the correct feature set.

If you don't know what you are doing I imagine they are all very easy to make sound awful.
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4213
    Even those of us who do know what we are doing, having been in the modelling market since the original POD and using software alternatives, Scuffham, Amplitube etc still can't get that "squirrelly" sound out of our respective heads, the Axe-Fx has it too, so it's not mutually exclusive ;) Maybe Firmware 2 fixed it, I gave up on mine and went back to playing guitar, I'm glad I bought one and persevered for awhile, but it just didn't do it for me, but as I've always said, it'd be deadly dull if we all liked the same gear.
  • What's the best demos of the Fremen pack?

ps. There's plenty of amps that I can't get the "squirelly bits" out of either. My Cornford at bedroom levels is one of them!
    This is the best demo.   It's a long one though ;)
  • John_A said:
    This is the best demo.   It's a long one though ;)
    Cheers!

hmmm.... They sound ok. Seems to be a lot of different distortion tones. Is there a lot of clean/delay/ambient quirky kinda ones? Things that don't necessarily sound like guitar?
    I think there's a lot of really good ones in there, a lot of repetition, and some nonsense.  I'm actually tempted to buy it, just to see what he's doing differently to me, seems to us a lot of EQ blocks.  I'm generally 'anti-preset' but there are some in there that pricked my ears up
  • John_A said:
    I think there's a lot of really good ones in there, a lot of repetition, and some nonsense.  I'm actually tempted to buy it, just to see what he's doing differently to me, seems to us a lot of EQ blocks.  I'm generally 'anti-preset' but there are some in there that pricked my ears up
    Yeah I'm usually anti preset too... But for whackier stuff I don't see why not. Imagine if I had Absynth or Massive with no presets. So I could be doing with a few whackadoodle ones
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7826
    John_A said:
    Yeah I'm usually anti preset too... But for whackier stuff I don't see why not. Imagine if I had Absynth or Massive with no presets. So I could be doing with a few whackadoodle ones
    I agree. But most people seem to be creating and selling very ordinary tones. Tones + tutorial would be more helpful to a beginner.

The fremen stuff at least comes with custom IRs
    Sorry ... Hat indoors
    its a no from me
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Cabicular said:
    Sorry ... Hat indoors
    its a no from me

Give him a break, have you seen his head :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Plus he's obviously a Dune fan so it makes me want to buy his shit more
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24786
    I had a user error stupid moment.

I made a new patch based on a YT vid for Hendrix tones. All was going well and then the sound disappeared.

Nothing at all. I didn't change the output options or the inputs. And bizarrely the headphone out still worked, but nothing on the main jacks.

I changed just about every parameter - nothing.

other patches worked fine!

I deleted all blocks on the patch and out a new amp in - no sound.

Then I got a different working patch and saved it the location of the dodgy one and all was ok again.

I have no idea what I did! Any ideas so I don't do it again?
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29052
    Any ideas so I don't do it again?
    Not if you didn't save the non-working patch for us to check...
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24786
    Good point!