Line 6 Helix

What's Hot

Comments

• Roland said:
    Lol @ the fractal fanboys desperately clinging on the durability myth
    It's not a myth. Fractal and Line6 come from different starting positions. Engineering and mass market. Fractal have not been afraid to use higher spec components. Line6 have been conscious of keeping the consumer price down. Both have made design/selection decisions which have had to be updated. It's likely that Line6 will eventually dominate the market. 

The important thing here is not whether one or the other is better. "Better" depends on your criteria. @clarky is an AxeFX user, but looking at Helix because his fly rig would be smaller and lighter. The important thing is that they compete, and challenge each other to improve their products.
    Yeah totally right.... Axe FX used higher quality components than the M13 and Pod XT

Not entirely how they transfers to Helix other than if you are being purposely obtuse 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1995

I've never understood the mentality of completely committing to a piece of gear and trying to argue and convert others into believing the same.

Its on the way to people knocking on your door "have you heard the word of *insert chosen company here*.

far too much like an all invested religion for my liking.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7966
    edited July 2017
    sgosden said:

I've never understood the mentality of completely committing to a piece of gear and trying to argue and convert others into believing the same.

Its on the way to people knocking on your door "have you heard the word of *insert chosen company here*.

Partly tribal behaviour partly relating to resale value.

People have a vested interest in their gear being (at least perceived to be) valuable if they think they might sell it.

Remember 1 guitar year is roughly equivalent to 10 human years at least... how many people really keep their gear forever?
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2450
    I'll admit, I've always wanted to try the AxeFX - I think the tone match functionality sounds like a superb bit of USP, and I would use it no end.

One of the issues I have is trying to find a really good, thick and solid hard rock tone; it's all subjective, but I have yet to hear a recording of one of my gigs where I though "Holy hell, that sounds amazing". people are saying the tone is great and are impressed with it etc., but I guess it's the curse of tone-chasing - and I think that would be the same across all modellers.
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    sweepy said:
    The Fractal Forumites are a tad Evangelical, the Axe-Fx and Helix  are both great units tbh, haven't tried a Kemper or new Headrush yet ;)
    Are Helix forumites not evangelical too?

gibsongretschfan said:
    Mate, us Fractal users aren't "clinging" on to anything, it's a spectacular piece of kit and I'd back it 100% against anything the Helix throws at it (except UI) ;-)

They're both fantastic units. 
    same here… I'm not clinging to anything..
    thing is, my Axe is jumping through some serious real-time control hoops..
    makes for extremely difficult boots for another unit to fill
    play every note as if it were your first
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FarleyUK said:
    I'll admit, I've always wanted to try the AxeFX - I think the tone match functionality sounds like a superb bit of USP, and I would use it no end.

One of the issues I have is trying to find a really good, thick and solid hard rock tone; it's all subjective, but I have yet to hear a recording of one of my gigs where I though "Holy hell, that sounds amazing". people are saying the tone is great and are impressed with it etc., but I guess it's the curse of tone-chasing - and I think that would be the same across all modellers.
    How many gigs have you played with Helix? Is this your first time you've used a modeller as your main rig? How long have you had it?
    FarleyUK said:

How many gigs have you played with Helix? Is this your first time you've used a modeller as your main rig? How long have you had it?
    Yep, first time with a modeller, must be on about 20 gigs now I guess - change between using two FrFr speakers in stereo or a full wDw rig.

Like I said, I'm sure it's just my ears and the constant tone-chasing that's the issue, not the Helix per-se.
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7827
    sgosden said:

For me it's simple. Helix for me has been a stunning buy that I wouldn't hesitate to recommend. I'm not trying to convince people that they have to buy helix bit just letting them know it works for me excellently. 

I have no doubt that fractal and Kemper are quality too. But I don't have those therefore really can't say anything about them.

If people ask for opinions on Helix I will always be happy to share :) same with any gear I think is great.
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3675
    Teetonetal said:

I have no doubt that fractal and Kemper are quality too. But I don't have those therefore really can't say anything about them.

If people ask for opinions on Helix I will always be happy to share :) same with any gear I think is great.
    Jesus, @Teetonetal, stop being so reasonable. Don't you realise this is an INTERNET FORUM?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4746

This looks interesting:-

http://www.3sigmaaudio.com/electric-impulses/ ;

Their acoustic ones are good.

• robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3070
    FarleyUK said:

Did you do the same when using a regular rig? ie. worry that your recorded tone was not great?
    FarleyUK said:

Did you do the same when using a regular rig? ie. worry that your recorded tone was not great?
    Yep!
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    where's the best place to try one of these units??
    I live in Berks not far from Reading
    play every note as if it were your first
  • FarleyUK said:
    Replacement unit and flight case arrived yesterday - all updated and ready for the festival today. Superb support from Line 6!
    How did you fix the Helix to the board? Also did you take out the spacer legs to drop it into the case further?
  • Clarky said:
    Interested in hearing your thoughts when you do manage to find one to try. What do you hope to find in the Helix that you're not getting out of your current setup? If you don't mind me asking :-)
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4214
    A bit far away unfortunately, I'm in Banbury 40 odd miles from Reading 
    Clarky said:
    Hi mate,

I live in Wycombe - you're welcome to pop round and give mine a try if you fancy it - I'll even provide a cup of tea (or coffee!).
    FarleyUK said:
    Replacement unit and flight case arrived yesterday - all updated and ready for the festival today. Superb support from Line 6!
    How did you fix the Helix to the board? Also did you take out the spacer legs to drop it into the case further?
    Just used the velcro that came with the case :)

I took the base board out today, as I was planning on routing the wires underneath - but that would also involve drilling holes etc. in the board, so I gave up on it. Left the spacers in, as otherwise I think the fixing screws for the feet into the board would be too long.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    FarleyUK said:
    Clarky said:
    Hi mate,

I live in Wycombe - you're welcome to pop round and give mine a try if you fancy it - I'll even provide a cup of tea (or coffee!).
    What about a trip to Centre Parcs ? :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FarleyUK said:
    FarleyUK said:
    Just used the velcro that came with the case :)

I took the base board out today, as I was planning on routing the wires underneath - but that would also involve drilling holes etc. in the board, so I gave up on it. Left the spacers in, as otherwise I think the fixing screws for the feet into the board would be too long.
    Sorry to sound daft but did you take the 5 little feet off the Helix or just put the Velcro on the bottom?