Line 6 Helix

What's Hot

Comments

• FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2450
    I always cut on the cab block.... the way I see it, it's there for a reason - and it eliminates having to use yet another block to do it.

Hi cut of 9kHz and low of 140Hz for my pair of TS210's.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    For me I typically don't cut anything that I'm unsure about losing. 20-40hz and anything over 14khz on a guitar... sure, I'll chop that out. Everything else is fair game for in the mix though, and I want the option to use it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Yeah, fair enough :)

I've also only recently been using the global EQ to cut out unwanted frequencies by using the tactic of 'sweeping' the frequency range; have found that a 4db cut of around 4.2Khz seems to work very well indeed, and gets rid of that 'paper tearing' sound that can happen.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Has anyone managed to get close to the Boss Tera Echo on the Helix?? I wrote a song ages ago with the DD-500 using the Tera Echo mode, and I can't stop thinking how much I love that sound. I don't really want to have to go back to using any of my single pedals if I can help it, because I can't afford the floor space or to carry loads of extra stuff!
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1995
    Cabicular said:
    I've done this by accident 
    I just found it easier to copy and past an Eq block than to adjust it every time I changed cabs
    probably one of the reasons I have always really like the way the Helix aoinds

I also did it by accident, by having 2nd path ending with ; cut block > send 1 (into power amp to cab) > Dual cab > XLR send

I found I needed the high cut to take away some nasty highs on the real cab. subsequently didn't see the need to use the cab block cuts.

Haven't tried it in a live situation, but at home & at rehearsals it sounds alright to my ears.

• Drew_TNBD said:
    I dunno... I barely ever used the high and low cuts on the Axe, and likewise with the Helix. I do everything on the amp block, or I insert an EQ. Just used to working that way I guess.
    I'm not sure what your rig is like but if I were going into a traditional guitar cab or amp I wouldn't use the hi and lo cuts. However, if I were going straight to FOH or recording then I definitely would use them just the same as I would do when trying to take a real life microphone placed in front of an amp
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    Drew_TNBD said:
    I dunno... I barely ever used the high and low cuts on the Axe, and likewise with the Helix. I do everything on the amp block, or I insert an EQ. Just used to working that way I guess.
    I'm not sure what your rig is like but if I were going into a traditional guitar cab or amp I wouldn't use the hi and lo cuts. However, if I were going straight to FOH or recording then I definitely would use them just the same as I would do when trying to take a real life microphone placed in front of an amp
    I agree
    I mostly use it live and in the FOH mixer Could shelf it off but depends who is doing the monitor mix and if they are doing it pre or post eq
    you can end up with a hellish shrill sound through foldback and it sounding fine up front
    also if I am using poweramps and real cabs it's a must

Just tried a comparison of the IR block hi and low cut vs. a dedicated hi / low cut block. Seems to my ears the IR block provides a more pleasing result instead of using the dedicated hi / low cut block, so think I'll be sticking with that.
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    FarleyUK said:
    Just tried a comparison of the IR block hi and low cut vs. a dedicated hi / low cut block. Seems to my ears the IR block provides a more pleasing result instead of using the dedicated hi / low cut block, so think I'll be sticking with that.
    Interesting - I was going to try that with the Helix Cab block hi/low cut Vs the dedicated hi/low cut block.  Have you tried that?
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    Does anyone have any info on what the next major update might deliver?
    John_A said:
    FarleyUK said:
    Interesting - I was going to try that with the Helix Cab block hi/low cut Vs the dedicated hi/low cut block.  Have you tried that?
    Not yet, just an IR block - but I would have expected it to be the same resuts.
  • nick79nick79 Frets: 264
    Forgive me if this is a silly question, but i'm curious.. Has anyone managed to nail Black Sabbath's early tone with helix?
    I'm close to buying one to find out for myself, just selling off some gear to free up some cash.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7711
    Does anyone have any info on what the next major update might deliver?
    They haven't said.

They did say back just before 2.2 came out that they had started on new models for 2.3 but no more than that
    Red ones are better. 
  • As of this writing, 2.30 will probably have 5 new amps and 7 new effects, but only a few (very minor) features. It won't work with the old editor, so you'll need to download HX Edit, which is based on Helix Native's GUI and should be available at the same time.

No idea on when it'll drop; we need to get snapshots, a tuner, and MIDI added to Helix Native (1.10?) first.
    Chief Product Design Architect, Yamaha Guitar Group | Line 6 | Ampeg
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    As of this writing, 2.30 will probably have 5 new amps and 7 new effects, but only a few (very minor) features. It won't work with the old editor, so you'll need to download HX Edit, which is based on Helix Native's GUI and should be available at the same time.

No idea on when it'll drop; we need to get snapshots, a tuner, and MIDI added to Helix Native (1.10?) first.
    New editor? Will HX Edit scale properly with Mac OS X and retina displays? ;)
  • As of this writing, 2.30 will probably have 5 new amps and 7 new effects, but only a few (very minor) features. It won't work with the old editor, so you'll need to download HX Edit, which is based on Helix Native's GUI and should be available at the same time.

I have a retina MacBook Pro and it looks fine—no Retina support just yet though. 1.00 won't let you dynamically resize the window, but that's coming in a future release.
    Chief Product Design Architect, Yamaha Guitar Group | Line 6 | Ampeg
    As of this writing, 2.30 will probably have 5 new amps and 7 new effects, but only a few (very minor) features. It won't work with the old editor, so you'll need to download HX Edit, which is based on Helix Native's GUI and should be available at the same time.

I have a retina MacBook Pro and it looks fine—no Retina support just yet though. 1.00 won't let you dynamically resize the window, but that's coming in a future release.
    Dynamic window resizing? Cor. I'm getting excited about all this new stuff!!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I went back to the single pedals yesterday for a bit - DD500, Nemesis, Timeline, RV5, Polara.

The Helix sounds better than them and it can do sounds that none of those can do! I think I'm basically a full on convert now.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

*Crosses fingers for a Silver Jubilee amp*
    I want a diezel of some description.