Line 6 Helix

What's Hot

Comments

• sgosdensgosden Frets: 1995
    Drew_TNBD said:
    I went back to the single pedals yesterday for a bit - DD500, Nemesis, Timeline, RV5, Polara.

The Helix sounds better than them and it can do sounds that none of those can do! I think I'm basically a full on convert now.

Almost at the same stage. only things I haven't be able to do are;

- really warbley (is that a word?) tape delays like I can get on timeline

- a fuller feeling tubescreamer. like what I get with EQD palisades.

In fact last night I was trying to get my analogue rig to sound more like my main patch in Helix.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • As of this writing, 2.30 will probably have 5 new amps and 7 new effects, but only a few (very minor) features. It won't work with the old editor, so you'll need to download HX Edit, which is based on Helix Native's GUI and should be available at the same time.

No idea on when it'll drop; we need to get snapshots, a tuner, and MIDI added to Helix Native (1.10?) first.
    It's a shame there's no way to release new amps and effects as they are ready. Seems a sin to have them sitting there wasting away... digitally of course 
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    As of this writing, 2.30 will probably have 5 new amps and 7 new effects, but only a few (very minor) features. It won't work with the old editor, so you'll need to download HX Edit, which is based on Helix Native's GUI and should be available at the same time.

No idea on when it'll drop; we need to get snapshots, a tuner, and MIDI added to Helix Native (1.10?) first.
    It's a shame there's no way to release new amps and effects as they are ready. Seems a sin to have them sitting there wasting away... digitally of course 
    They could easily do that with multiple revision releases but that isn't the way Line 6 do things.  IMO it would take the excitement out of the major releases :)
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    sgosden said:

In fact last night I was trying to get my analogue rig to sound more like my main patch in Helix.

Yeah that's what I was doing too! Actually I was trying to do two things:

- Come up with a sound on the Helix that got close to the Boss Tera Echo. Found it very difficult because essentially the Helix would need a delay model with 20+ taps, and a filtering parameter for each tap. But I did get some usable sounds that were good enough.

- Come up with a sound on any of my delay pedals that got close to my Helix 'oscillation' effect. Nigh on impossible to get the same aggressive character from the Timeline, Boss, or Nemesis.

So now I'm obsessed with exploring oscillation noises.
    Drew_TNBD said:

How are you doing the oscillating? sounds like that I'm attempting with the tape, but getting closer with the Adriatic.
    sgosden said:
    Drew_TNBD said:

How are you doing the oscillating? sounds like that I'm attempting with the tape, but getting closer with the Adriatic.
    Yeah I'm using the Adriatic too. But I'm processing it after the fact - it goes through an EQ to tame the tone, a compressor to make sure that no matter how crazy the oscillations get it never goes above a certain volume, and then another delay to mush it up a bit, followed by a bit of reverb to tame the dryness.

Basically my 'oscillation' chain sits in a parallel path. In total I have two reverbs and 4 delays in the whole patch! Can't do that with a Timeline.
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4748
    As of this writing, 2.30 will probably have 5 new amps and 7 new effects, but only a few (very minor) features. It won't work with the old editor, so you'll need to download HX Edit, which is based on Helix Native's GUI and should be available at the same time.

7 new effects, that's great! 

My own wish list is a POG type effect, HD ambient reverb (ala WET), MIAB drive box, a feedback pedal, another ambient type delay, phase 45, cleanish boost like an RC clone.

Although I'm happy with what is in 2.2, but any of the above would be nice. 

• gibsongretschfan said:
    Tell that to all the people clamoring for Helix Native. As all the Helix SKUs require preset compatibility, they'd then have to wait notably longer to get all the 2.30 stuff in and tested.
    Chief Product Design Architect, Yamaha Guitar Group | Line 6 | Ampeg
    Any more saucy tidbits on the new effects?? Anything reverb or delay based? I'm moist with anticipation. The perfect combination of werdz.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24864
    I'll laugh my arse off if all the new stuff is bass related again.

The amount of whinging pillocks on the FB group was amazing. "Waaaahhh it's all bass. Nothing for me me me!"

Nobbers.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I'll laugh my arse off if all the new stuff is bass related again.

The amount of whinging pillocks on the FB group was amazing. "Waaaahhh it's all bass. Nothing for me me me!"

Nobbers.
    Lol.

As if there isn't enough stuff already for the price! There was probably less when they bought it too.
    I love the bass stuff. I've got a Darkglass B7K, and I do love it... but lordy I don't really use it!! I just use the Helix.

But yeah.... the same way the Axe FX has 200 odd amps... I want 200 odd delays. lol.
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3072

My own wish list is a POG type effect, HD ambient reverb (ala WET), MIAB drive box,

I too would like to see a POG. However, why do you want a MIAB pedal? You literally have a Marshal in a box. In fact, you have several Marshalls in a box. Why would you want a pedal? 

R. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2226
    edited August 2017

My own wish list is a POG type effect, HD ambient reverb (ala WET), MIAB drive box,

I too would like to see a POG. However, why do you want a MIAB pedal? You literally have a Marshal in a box. In fact, you have several Marshalls in a box. Why would you want a pedal? 

R. 
    I tried to recreate the sound of my Angry Charlie and couldn't get anywhere near with the Marshall ampsims.

I think that what people call a MIAB pedal actually sounds fatter and warmer than a Marshall when put in front of a good clean amp. I wonder whether MIAB might be a misnomer, based on a possibly incorrect perception of what people think a Marshall sounds like, rather than the reality.
    It's not a competition.

R. 
    If he's running in to a clean amp rather than FRFR I can see the need. That's how I initially used the Helix and did miss my crunch box.  Using it FRFR mainly with the JCM800 model now and don't miss it at all :)
    Hoping for more hot-rodded marshal types, Friendman or splawn maybes.

R. 
    I've been through this several times, but I use my helix into a clean amp, so just want a model of something like a Crunchbox for that purpose.  Running a Marshall preamp into a clean amp doesn't quite work.   Any decent rock type OD/dist would do really, the OCD is okay, but like real OCD's doesn't quite do it for me.
    I'm not sure why this is a request everybody questions, as loads if people who use Marshall type amps still seem to have pedals like this on their pedalboard!  (Perhaps the term 'MIAB' is the problem, so just replace that with fat tight drive)

John_A said:

R. 
    If he's running in to a clean amp rather than FRFR I can see the need. That's how I initially used the Helix and did miss my crunch box.  Using it FRFR mainly with the JCM800 model now and don't miss it at all :)
    Yes mate, i'm running into a Princeton Reverb or MJW Bantam.  May add FRFR at some point but love my current setup so no rush.
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2353
    edited August 2017

Beware - Newbie Helix post - I might get one.

I unfortunately don't have an effects loop on my Fender or Orange amps, although I suppose I could use the Katana. Bass wise, I could quite easily use the effects loop. I don't really want more speakers/cabs in my house at the moment, so how does the Helix sound straight into the front of an amp, like say a Fender 68 Custom Deluxe?

I really like my current amps so I don't want to go down the route of no amp and just the Helix and an FRFR type setup. My feeling was I could use it as a guitar effects board, bass effects board, add the odd pedal in, and use it in the practice room straight into the PA for now.

John_A said:

R. 
    Yes mate, i'm running into a Princeton Reverb or MJW Bantam.  May add FRFR at some point but love my current setup so no rush.
    I loved my amp too - main one was a JTM45 until I tried the Helix FRFR.  It really is the way forward IMO.  When I first got it I spent the afternoon trying to make my Helix sound like my amp then spent the evening trying to make my amp sound like the Helix :)